Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2019, 11:54 AM

459 posts, read 699,620 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know when it will be? I want to change my affiliation so I can vote Andrew Yang in the Dem primaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2019, 12:44 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,645,707 times
"The deadline to register to vote in North Carolina is 25 days before the date of an election. The voter registration application must be received by the applicant’s county boards of elections by this date. If an application is received after the deadline, the application may still be timely if it was mailed and it is postmarked on or before the voter registration deadline; otherwise, the application will not be processed until after the election. Persons who register at the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles or another voter registration agency will be considered registered as of the date the application is given to the agency. As long as this date is on or before the voter registration deadline, then the application will be deemed timely for an upcoming election."

Election day is November 5th.

https://www.ncsbe.gov/voters/registering-to-vote

Old 10-03-2019, 06:27 PM

Thank you!

Old 10-04-2019, 08:27 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Does anyone know when it will be? I want to change my affiliation so I can vote Andrew Yang in the Dem primaries.
The Democrat Primary is Tuesday, March 3, 2020. If you are already registered, you can easily change your affiliation with the NC State Board of Elections. There is a form on the website which needs to be printed and signed.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The Democrat Primary is Tuesday, March 3, 2020. If you are already registered, you can easily change your affiliation with the NC State Board of Elections. There is a form on the website which needs to be printed and signed.
Yeah I found it. What a pain. I wish there was a way to just do it online. Politicians are worried about voter ID laws disenfranchising voters but registering via snail mail is too much for us Xennials/Millenials

Old 10-04-2019, 12:07 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,964,220 times
You can also do same day voter registration or change address or affiliation during early voting periods, which typically end the saturday before election day. No same day registration on voting day, however.

You can also vote in either the republican or democratic primary if you are registered as an independent

Old 10-06-2019, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
You can also do same day voter registration or change address or affiliation during early voting periods, which typically end the saturday before election day. No same day registration on voting day, however.

You can also vote in either the republican or democratic primary if you are registered as an independent
Thank you! I’ve been traditionally independent but I wanted to vote in primaries in 2016. Didn’t realize you can stay I and vote

Old 10-30-2019, 04:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulok View Post
Yeah I found it. What a pain. I wish there was a way to just do it online. Politicians are worried about voter ID laws disenfranchising voters but registering via snail mail is too much for us Xennials/Millenials
You can also go by a public library at the reference desk. Or, any large event, especially political marches, will have representatives from "You Can Vote" there.

I'm sure you can imagine the hacking potential if registration were done completely online. I for one am very glad it's not.

As mentioned above, you can register Unaffiliated (not "Independent") and vote in whichever Primary ballot you wish, from year to year. If you register DEM, you can only ever vote a Dem primary ballot, ditto for REP or any other party. But Unaffiliated voters can choose which party's ballot each primary is more important for them. I really see no logical reason everybody doesn't switch to Unaffiliated, unless they want to run for office. It also makes it harder to gerrymander when fewer people are party-identified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina