Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 10:20 AM

569 posts, read 337,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
The full time growth in this area (Horry/Brunswick/New Hanover) necessitates this extension...plus it is part of the future interstate system.

And it has major tourism implications. Right now traffic is using a two lane cutoff road through residential areas. Traffic backups substantially in the summer and we all know how the grand strand traffic was before the Carolina Bays Parkway was built.

From the NC benefit, it essentially expands the Grand Strand into NC from SC...think traffic coming in from the airport and such. It also opens up Brunswick Co and New Hanover Co residents into using Myrtle Beach for day trips, etc...saving significant time. With the southern section opening it also decreases travel time to Charleston along the coast. Connecting the Carolina Bays to I-140 loop in Wilmington should be a priority for NC. Beach traffic will flow much better, evacuations will be easier.
SC 31 is a wonderful bypass around Myrtle Beach. It was much needed and makes life easier. I disagree about extending up to Wilmington however, due to some of my prior comments about NC neglecting I-95 for so long. Why plan a future interstate in that part of the state when we can't maintain what we have now ? Throughout the state, there are more highway needs than money to pay for them.

My family spent a week at a Brunswick County beach last summer, and took a day trip to Myrtle Beach. Even though that highway is not an interstate, we found traffic to be fairly light and moving at a normal pace. The stop lights are a pain, but still no issues with traffic.

Even though Brunswick County has been growing at a rapid pace, there's no guarantee that rate of growth will continue, particularly in the face of threats posed by rising sea levels. Not sure that there's an appetite for the Grand Strand to swallow the quaint Brunswick County beaches either. They are beautiful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2020, 10:39 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,335,767 times
NC needs A freeway to Myrtle Beach. That is all.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:53 AM

3,060 posts, read 4,795,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
SC 31 is a wonderful bypass around Myrtle Beach. It was much needed and makes life easier. I disagree about extending up to Wilmington however, due to some of my prior comments about NC neglecting I-95 for so long. Why plan a future interstate in that part of the state when we can't maintain what we have now ? Throughout the state, there are more highway needs than money to pay for them.

My family spent a week at a Brunswick County beach last summer, and took a day trip to Myrtle Beach. Even though that highway is not an interstate, we found traffic to be fairly light and moving at a normal pace. The stop lights are a pain, but still no issues with traffic.

Even though Brunswick County has been growing at a rapid pace, there's no guarantee that rate of growth will continue, particularly in the face of threats posed by rising sea levels. Not sure that there's an appetite for the Grand Strand to swallow the quaint Brunswick County beaches either. They are beautiful!
Brunswick County is one of the fastest growing counties in the NATION. And, it has been for DECADES.

Myrtle Beach and Wilmington are both growing rapidly...and Brunswick is between them.

So bridging the gap with an interstate makes sense on so many levels. It is one of the biggest needs in NC.

As for I-95...there is projects, has been projects and most likely it is a slow pace because they do actually have an interstate. There are no lights on I-95. And the traffic doesnt back up unless there is an accident, and 301 is designed to be the alternate when construction or an accident is occurring.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:56 AM

[quote=Tarheelhombre;57137181]NC needs A freeway to Myrtle Beach. That is all.[/QUOTE

There's no money for that, particularly if the government continues to spend (waste) hundreds of millions on beach renourishment. In a perfect world, yes a direct freeway would be nice. In the meantime, we take the following routes:

I-40 to I-140 to NC 17 to SC 31.

Old 01-20-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Brunswick County is one of the fastest growing counties in the NATION. And, it has been for DECADES.

Myrtle Beach and Wilmington are both growing rapidly...and Brunswick is between them.

So bridging the gap with an interstate makes sense on so many levels. It is one of the biggest needs in NC.

As for I-95...there is projects, has been projects and most likely it is a slow pace because they do actually have an interstate. There are no lights on I-95. And the traffic doesnt back up unless there is an accident, and 301 is designed to be the alternate when construction or an accident is occurring.
Charlotte would likely disagree with you, as they have been shortchanged for years in terms of highway construction. Raleigh decided to go tolls on NC 540 because we couldn't wait any longer. Brunswick County is a high growth County percentage wise, but it still very small in terms of actual numbers. After tourist season, it is quiet.

Most of the funding and efforts will likely flow to the population clusters from the Triangle to the Triad to the Charlotte area.

Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM

3,060 posts, read 4,795,415 times
Quote:
Charlotte would likely disagree with you, as they have been shortchanged for years in terms of highway construction. Raleigh decided to go tolls on NC 540 because we couldn't wait any longer. Brunswick County is a high growth County percentage wise, but it still very small in terms of actual numbers. After tourist season, it is quiet.

Most of the funding and efforts will likely flow to the population clusters from the Triangle to the Triad to the Charlotte area.
You are significantly undervaluing the population increase in southeastern NC. As well, consider the leveraged money from the State of SC for their portion of the project. This project doesnt stop at the State line...it has to stop at a road. Myrtle Beach/NMB MSA which includes Brunswick Co was listed as the 2nd fastest growing MSA in the country in 2018.

Keep in mind the road infrastructure when it comes to % growth. Brunswick still has a lot of 2 lane roads and only one main artery through the county. It may come as a surprise to you but College Rd in Wilmington is one of the highest priority roads for projects at NCDOT. Why? Because its antiquated...it hasnt been touched in 20 plus years. Traffic is at a standstill.

So yes, Charlotte and Raleigh/Durham need roads to be built...but consider they already have roads and some places dont. And they are seeing construction...the Interstate widening project in Concord is huge for that area.

Dont assume because there is less money at DOT that this means money will only be spent in two places. The ratings show that other places may still rate higher for funding. And any money that can be leveraged should be

Old 01-20-2020, 03:12 PM

I am not denying the fact that southeastern NC is growing, but I put more weight into actual numeric increases vs. percentage increases. The Myrtle Beach MSA is fast growing percentage wise, but doesn't crack into any lists numeric growth wise.

I have two concerns:

1. Nearly all traffic issues are in the summer tourist months, which is one third of a year. In the other eight months, these areas are very quiet. In the other populated areas of the state, traffic is a nightmare 12 months per year. I've been to Myrtle Beach in the winter, and it is like a ghost town except for the golfers. Same for Brunswick County beaches.

2. South Carolina would benefit more from this IMO, than North Carolina. Why should we spend funds on a project which would primarily benefit another state ? No wonder SC wants NC to do this.

Old 01-20-2020, 10:33 PM

865 posts, read 1,002,671 times
Quote:
I am not denying the fact that southeastern NC is growing, but I put more weight into actual numeric increases vs. percentage increases. The Myrtle Beach MSA is fast growing percentage wise, but doesn't crack into any lists numeric growth wise.

I have two concerns:

1. Nearly all traffic issues are in the summer tourist months, which is one third of a year. In the other eight months, these areas are very quiet. In the other populated areas of the state, traffic is a nightmare 12 months per year. I've been to Myrtle Beach in the winter, and it is like a ghost town except for the golfers. Same for Brunswick County beaches.

2. South Carolina would benefit more from this IMO, than North Carolina. Why should we spend funds on a project which would primarily benefit another state ? No wonder SC wants NC to do this.
Here are my answers to your two concerns:

1. You're wrong about traffic issues being only in the summer months and then "very quiet" during the other eight months for Myrtle Beach and Brunswick County. You say you've been to Myrtle in the winter--how about spring or fall? You don't think anyone goes to the beaches in those seasons? I have, and they're not "ghost towns" as you claim.

2. Wilmington and Brunswick County would benefit immensely by having this extension. Connecting it to 31 will allow residential and commercial drivers to get south of Myrtle Beach from Wilmington in less than 90 minutes, giving them easier access to Georgetown and Charleston and other points south. Wilmington can promote having major interstate highways leading to and from the city from the north (I-40) and west and south (I-74), a big selling point to companies considering opening operations in the city. And it will save travelers the considerable hassle of endless red lights they have to endure from Calabash through Little River before getting to Myrtle Beach.

Now, what are your next objections to this project?

Old 01-20-2020, 11:03 PM

My concerns remain.

1. I was being generous. Tourist traffic actually spikes for only 3 months (June thru August). After that, traffic dribbles down to a very manageable flow. Contrast that with other metros that have nasty traffic all year round. Year round traffic volume does not justify this proposed project for the reasons that I have previously outlined. Why , all of a sudden, do folks need to speed down from Brunswick County NC to Myrtle Beach ? Calabash and Little River as traffic log jambs ? Really ? In the winter ? Even in the summer ?

2. Companies relocating to Wilmington are not worried about traffic to Myrtle Beach. I've driven down 17, and it's a piece of cake.

3. Global warming and sea level rising may make this argument moot.

Old 01-21-2020, 05:33 AM

7,176 posts, read 6,725,254 times
FWIW, it should be noted that there is currently no future interstate planned to connect Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, and I-74 will stop near Bolton and turn southward to connect with the extended Carolina Bays Parkway and follow that to Myrtle Beach, despite the fact that Wilmington wants I-74 (as they should).

From FHWA's site (blurry pic, I know):

As ridiculous as I think I-74's southward turn is, there's not much NCDOT can do about it since the routing was set in stone by Congress in the early 90's. That said, the parkway extension alone has merit, IMO, for reasons that have already been stated.

Last edited by LM117; 01-21-2020 at 05:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina