Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 07:57 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,961,604 times

Advertisements

The Pitts School Road area of Concord doesn't have a problem with crime (in fact there's not a lot of crime in Concord)where the distribution center is located. The house prices around there should be in your price range. That area has a lot of people that have lived here for most of their lives giving you that small town feel. You are about 25/30 minutes without traffic from Charlotte and about 45 minutes with traffic. Cabarrus County is a good school district for your wife to get a job. You could also live in Mount Pleasant for a true small town feel and still work at the distribution center (it would be about a 27 minute drive) and Mount Pleasant is still in Cabarrus County. The town population estimate for 2018 is 1,952.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 08:16 AM

8 posts, read 5,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I agree with you. Kings Mountain would probably be the best for their budget. Two of the elementary schools (K - 4) have earned the federal blue ribbon award.
Thanks guys we’re looking at Kings Mountain great recommendation. Not too many listings up, I’m wondering if it’s affordable to build homes there?

Old 12-19-2019, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
The Pitts School Road area of Concord doesn't have a problem with crime (in fact there's not a lot of crime in Concord)where the distribution center is located. The house prices around there should be in your price range. That area has a lot of people that have lived here for most of their lives giving you that small town feel. You are about 25/30 minutes without traffic from Charlotte and about 45 minutes with traffic. Cabarrus County is a good school district for your wife to get a job. You could also live in Mount Pleasant for a true small town feel and still work at the distribution center (it would be about a 27 minute drive) and Mount Pleasant is still in Cabarrus County. The town population estimate for 2018 is 1,952.
Another great idea thank you

Old 12-19-2019, 09:06 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
I would definitely look at Mebane. Growing small town. Alamance County Schools aren't super, but part of Mebane is in Orange County so you can get Orange County schools which are good, or you could live in Hillsborough and commute to Mebane. I would take it over Kings Mountain, but I am not a big fan of the Charlotte metro (spouse grew up there and inlaws still all live there).

Old 12-19-2019, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I would definitely look at Mebane. Growing small town. Alamance County Schools aren't super, but part of Mebane is in Orange County so you can get Orange County schools which are good, or you could live in Hillsborough and commute to Mebane. I would take it over Kings Mountain, but I am not a big fan of the Charlotte metro (spouse grew up there and inlaws still all live there).
I’m seeing lots of support for Mebane on here. Good to know thank you. Do you think it’s affordable to build a home there if the market is a little slim?

Old 12-19-2019, 12:43 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew329 View Post
Thanks guys we’re looking at Kings Mountain great recommendation. Not too many listings up, I’m wondering if it’s affordable to build homes there?
I live in the city. I have no idea about building, but you might find an empty lot zoned for residential in the city. If the kids would be in elementary school, I'd suggest being in the city for schools. You also want to make sure that you are in Cleveland County for schools. The city is in Cleveland and Gaston counties.
3 elementary schools are in the city. East Elementary & West Elementary have earned the blue ribbon designation. North Elementary is not bad and does draw some children from outside of the city from the north.

5th and 6th grades combine with 2 other elementary schools and it's called the intermediate school. Then the junior high and the high school.

If you find a listing that you're interested in, in the city, call Kings Mountain PD and ask about the location. Outside of the city, policing is handled by the county sheriff.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-19-2019 at 12:51 PM..

Old 12-19-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Y'know, I make it a point not to say anything negative about places unless I absolutely know something about the place.

About once a year there's a domestic problem in Kings Mountain that ends in a killing. In other words, it's nothing that will effect the OP. Occasionally, someone who's wanted in Charlotte finds their way out here and gets picked up by Kings Mountain PD. That arrest shows up on the arrest records, but it's not a local criminal. There's little actual crime here. The police have good relations with the residents. The police chief is a wonderful woman. It's as good a place as any to look.

It just depends on what works for the OP. There's a community theater and every summer there's a play, that was written for the city, called Liberty Mountain. If that's something that works for the OP, fine.

Old 12-19-2019, 04:48 PM

Southbound I didn't say anything negative about Kings Mountain. I don't have much of an opinion on it except it's too close to Charlotte for me. I like the Triangle region better than the Metrolina region, but I think it's worth it for the OP to check out both places. Kings Mountain is closer to the mountains (1.5 hrs to Asheville; 3.75 to 4 to the beach). Mebane is about equidistant from mountains and the beach (about 2.5 hrs from both).

I would choose either one of those over Hope Mills or Henderson for sure.

Matthew, as for your home question, I would think you could build a home fairly affordably, but it depends on your definition of affordable.

Old 12-20-2019, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Southbound I didn't say anything negative about Kings Mountain. I don't have much of an opinion on it except it's too close to Charlotte for me. I like the Triangle region better than the Metrolina region, but I think it's worth it for the OP to check out both places. Kings Mountain is closer to the mountains (1.5 hrs to Asheville; 3.75 to 4 to the beach). Mebane is about equidistant from mountains and the beach (about 2.5 hrs from both).

I would choose either one of those over Hope Mills or Henderson for sure.

Matthew, as for your home question, I would think you could build a home fairly affordably, but it depends on your definition of affordable.
Well, poppydog, you're certainly welcome to your opinions. Who would have thought that 30 miles would be too close to Charlotte. Rest assured that I haven't heard that before.

I take it that Mebane is over 30 miles from Durham.

Old 12-20-2019, 10:05 AM

As I said, I think Kings Mountain and Mebane are both worth checking out for the OP. I don't recommend Henderson or Hope Mills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina