Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2019, 07:53 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Well-stated and true. A lot of “best for business” lists are nothing but lists of “top states for exploiting employees and paying them modesty; best states that shift the tax burden from big corporations to the middle and working class; and best states for unregulated businesses that harm the environment and exploit consumers.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2019, 10:59 PM

88 posts, read 72,021 times
Forbes makes the goofiest lists. They try to be "different" than others, so they use nutty matrices than most others.

They recently rated Chattanooga TN as the biggest job producer in the USA.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:10 PM

104 posts, read 102,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Well-stated and true. A lot of “best for business” lists are nothing but lists of “top states for exploiting employees and paying them modesty; best states that shift the tax burden from big corporations to the middle and working class; and best states for unregulated businesses that harm the environment and exploit consumers.”
And yet people are moving here in droves from liberal states

Old 01-13-2020, 08:23 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
Well, this is great news. I know I post a lot of crap about the South, but NC is my home state. I'll always have a space in my heart for the place no matter where I go. The haters will hate soon, I'm sure. You can't post positive things about any place without the naysayers chiming in.
Don't know how old you are, but after growing up in the NC Triangle, then many years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, Northern NJ and 10 years in NYC,

I know for sure that NC is one of the best states, well run by conscientious people (excluding HB2), and absolutely in the top echelon with FL, NY and California.

I see all of its strengths by way of the stark contrast of living in primitive Georgia.

And the influx of New York State (and city and NJ) newcomers demonstrates to a degree of NC being on par with NY /NJ as far as state stewardship, well functioning etc. It's not too much of a step down for them to call NC their new home.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:34 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Don't know how old you are, but after growing up in the NC Triangle, then many years in Atlanta, Los Angeles, Boston, Northern NJ and 10 years in NYC,

I know for sure that NC is one of the best states, well run by conscientious people (excluding HB2), and absolutely in the top echelon with FL, NY and California.

I see all of its strengths by way of the stark contrast of living in primitive Georgia.

And the influx of New York State (and city and NJ) newcomers demonstrates to a degree of NC being on par with NY /NJ as far as state stewardship, well functioning etc. It's not too much of a step down for them to call NC their new home.
But - you have to admit - Forbes is goofy and odd, no ? Their lists are very "unique" to say the least.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:37 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. City View Post
Forbes makes the goofiest lists. They try to be "different" than others, so they use nutty matrices than most others.

They recently rated Chattanooga TN as the biggest job producer in the USA.
Look for "%" they may be correct.

Percentages of growth and change in a given time period are often what they are talking about.

_______

Yes, I agree about big corporations having too much leeway to pollute, etc.

But as a non-political party member, Democrats should acknowledge that lowering the state income tax to stay competitive with surrounding states was a good move.

Old 01-13-2020, 08:48 PM

569 posts, read 341,286 times
Quote:
Look for "%" they may be correct.

Percentages of growth and change in a given time period are often what they are talking about.

_______

Yes, I agree about big corporations having too much leeway to pollute, etc.

But as a non-political party member, Democrats should acknowledge that lowering the state income tax to stay competitive with surrounding states was a good move.
Two comments:

1. Forbes is different because they have to be in order to sell magazines. Most people pay attention to other mainstream sources like U. S. News and World Report.

2. No, cutting taxes by our current "legislature" wasn't a good move (and I voted for Trump). This state needs to spend more for infrastructure and education, rather than building a massive surplus fund. Corporations want an educated workforce !

I thought architects were liberal, not that's a bad thing.

Last edited by Mr. Raleigh; 01-13-2020 at 09:18 PM..

Old 01-13-2020, 11:11 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
That's an interesting echelon. What are the criteria for inclusion?

Quote:
Or maybe it's mostly about a lower cost of living, good jobs to be had, and more moderate weather--the same factors that attracted transplants from NY/NJ in droves to "primitive" Georgia. Occam's Razor at work here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: