Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2019, 08:52 AM

7,179 posts, read 6,742,954 times

Advertisements

The order explaining the decision will come next week.

https://www.wral.com/federal-court-t...ions/18855017/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2019, 09:32 AM

869 posts, read 1,005,782 times
Good news to hear before the end of the year. This law is nothing more than a modern-day poll tax meant to discourage voting by minorities, the poor and others that the GOP doesn't want to participate. The only fraud going on in our voting system is election tampering by Russia and others who want to manipulate ballots to favor their interests.

Old 12-27-2019, 05:20 PM

327 posts, read 597,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The order explaining the decision will come next week.

https://www.wral.com/federal-court-t...ions/18855017/
No need to explain. Any sane person knows what the real reason is.

Old 12-27-2019, 08:14 PM

4,218 posts, read 3,135,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Good news to hear before the end of the year. This law is nothing more than a modern-day poll tax meant to discourage voting by minorities, the poor and others that the GOP doesn't want to participate. The only fraud going on in our voting system is election tampering by Russia and others who want to manipulate ballots to favor their interests.
Yes, most minorities and poor don't have ID!

Old 12-27-2019, 08:58 PM

869 posts, read 1,005,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Yes, most minorities and poor don't have ID!
Can you prove the source of your opinion? Most minorities and poor people that I know in North Carolina do have ID.

Old 12-28-2019, 06:22 AM

1,538 posts, read 1,506,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
Can you prove the source of your opinion? Most minorities and poor people that I know in North Carolina do have ID.
I think this was sarcasm

Old 12-28-2019, 09:10 AM

6,152 posts, read 7,163,899 times
There is definitely an effort to suppress the minority vote. Voter ID is just one of the ways. They tried to stop the "souls to the polls" early voting on Sundays which allowed African-Americans with limited transportation to go vote on Sundays after Church. Its very clear what the intent is particularly when voter fraud is so rare its not worth the expense of pursuing voter ID. After high minority turnout during the Obama years, the GOP realized the power in the minority vote potentially keeping them permanently out of power. The truth is that would be the case if minorities voted in big numbers every election and that's what they are afraid of. The African American vote is the Democratic Party's largest voting block followed by the Latino vote. Large African American turn out during the 2008 presidential election is the reason North Carolina went blue that year for the first time since 1976.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-28-2019 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 12:22 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,562,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There is definitely an effort to suppress the minority vote. Voter ID is just one of the ways. They tried to stop the "souls to the polls" early voting on Sundays which allowed African-Americans with limited transportation to go vote on Sundays after Church. Its very clear what the intent is particularly when voter fraud is so rare its not worth the expense of pursuing voter ID. After high minority turnout during the Obama years, the GOP realized the power in the minority vote potentially keeping them permanently out of power. The truth is that would be the case if minorities voted in big numbers every election and that's what they are afraid of. The African American vote is the Democratic Party's largest voting block followed by the Latino vote. Large African American turn out during the 2008 presidential election is the reason North Carolina went blue that year for the first time since 1976.
Given the gerrymandering shenanigans with congressional districts that had to be redrawn and other due process issues that have gone on in North Carolina in recent years, I'm concerned with that too. And I proudly voted "no" to that amendment when it was on the ballot.

I have to admit that when it first came up, I was one of those who thought "what's the big deal about requiring voter ID?" But then the more I thought about this, the more I could see this disguising a sly, backdoor way to impose other requirements that would create even more voter suppression.

For instance, now a "Real ID" isn't required, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people who are promoting voter ID requirements to at some point, propose that a "Real ID" will be required. And the requirements for obtaining one are a little cumbersome even for someone with resources, let alone the disadvantaged population.

As far as I'm concerned the people proposing this haven't earned the credibility or trust to believe they have honest intentions. I have no doubt that they will appeal the ruling though, so I'm confident that this isn't the end of this issue.

Old 12-28-2019, 02:40 PM

6,152 posts, read 7,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Given the gerrymandering shenanigans with congressional districts that had to be redrawn and other due process issues that have gone on in North Carolina in recent years, I'm concerned with that too. And I proudly voted "no" to that amendment when it was on the ballot.

I have to admit that when it first came up, I was one of those who thought "what's the big deal about requiring voter ID?" But then the more I thought about this, the more I could see this disguising a sly, backdoor way to impose other requirements that would create even more voter suppression.

For instance, now a "Real ID" isn't required, but I wouldn't put it past some of the people who are promoting voter ID requirements to at some point, propose that a "Real ID" will be required. And the requirements for obtaining one are a little cumbersome even for someone with resources, let alone the disadvantaged population.

As far as I'm concerned the people proposing this haven't earned the credibility or trust to believe they have honest intentions. I have no doubt that they will appeal the ruling though, so I'm confident that this isn't the end of this issue.
What was really telling is that when they tried to revise the ID law, they would allow student IDs but would not allow official government assistance type IDs. Its a lot easier to fake a school IDs over government IDs. The intent was definitely not to prevent voter fraud. And yes the gerrymandering was obvious as well. They tried to dilute the black vote spreading them out across other districts. Elected officials should not be drawing their own districts picking their voters. I'm amazed that this has not been outlawed.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:40 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,253,289 times
I wonder . . .

Instead of fighting against voter ID laws, why not seek out those without ID and help them get it?

Those in favor of voter ID say it's very rare for someone not to have ID. Those opposed to voter ID say there are a lot. Does that mean they know these people and haven't helped them get ID?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: