Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2020, 05:01 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times

Advertisements

Today I was pulled over for speeding. 50 in a 35.

The officer informed me that my license was suspended. This was a big surprise to me. The officer informed me it was suspended because I failed to appear for a court date last July. I was unaware of the court date, but I'm not disputing it. Long story but it probably is legit and I'm a dumb ass. He gave me my license back but said I could be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor if I drive before getting it reinstated. Yikes.

So, I want to get back in good standing asap.

I went online to the DMV site to find out what I need to do. It appears I have to show up at a DMV office and pay a $65 restoration fee and a $50 service fee and reapply for a license. That's fine. It also says "Take required tests, if applicable."

I have no idea if my situation is considered "applicable" or not. Does anybody here know? I am an adult with a license issued in 2018. Do I have to take another written test? A driving test?

There's a 109-page driver's handbook I need to start studying if I have to take another written test. Ugh.

I am really hoping I can show up at a DMV office tomorrow, pay some fees, and get my license reinstated. Does anybody know how likely that is?

Edited to add: the ticket says "operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway while the defendant's driver's license was revoked" but when I called the DMV info line, the automated system said it was "suspended", not revoked. Not sure that makes a difference. Then I ordered a copy of my driving record and it does say "suspended".

Last edited by sonderella; 01-15-2020 at 05:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2020, 05:16 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,643,889 times
I'm sure you're going to have to do more than just pay a restoration fee and take a test...you're going to have to first resolve the actual issue that caused the suspension in the first place, i.e., your failure to appear last July. I'd talk to a lawyer if it was me.

Old 01-15-2020, 10:08 PM

569 posts, read 341,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonderella View Post
Today I was pulled over for speeding. 50 in a 35.

The officer informed me that my license was suspended. This was a big surprise to me. The officer informed me it was suspended because I failed to appear for a court date last July. I was unaware of the court date, but I'm not disputing it. Long story but it probably is legit and I'm a dumb ass. He gave me my license back but said I could be arrested and charged with a misdemeanor if I drive before getting it reinstated. Yikes.

So, I want to get back in good standing asap.

I went online to the DMV site to find out what I need to do. It appears I have to show up at a DMV office and pay a $65 restoration fee and a $50 service fee and reapply for a license. That's fine. It also says "Take required tests, if applicable."

I have no idea if my situation is considered "applicable" or not. Does anybody here know? I am an adult with a license issued in 2018. Do I have to take another written test? A driving test?

There's a 109-page driver's handbook I need to start studying if I have to take another written test. Ugh.

I am really hoping I can show up at a DMV office tomorrow, pay some fees, and get my license reinstated. Does anybody know how likely that is?

Edited to add: the ticket says "operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway while the defendant's driver's license was revoked" but when I called the DMV info line, the automated system said it was "suspended", not revoked. Not sure that makes a difference. Then I ordered a copy of my driving record and it does say "suspended".
You need to hire an attorney. Suspended or revoked, you failed to appear in court for the first offense for whatever reason. A good attorney will make things "right". I know this, from personal experience.

Old 01-16-2020, 01:20 PM

1,019 posts, read 1,044,073 times
Update for anyone interested: I went to the DMV this a.m. They said I needed to go to county courthouse to get the non-appearance issue resolved prior to paying fees to get my license reinstated.

So, I went to the courthouse, which sent me to the County Justice Center (a block away). The clerk at the County Justice Center was very helpful. She had me fill out a form explaining why I missed the initial date, then asked for a copy of my current registration, then walked me over to a D.A.

The D.A. looked at the form and dismissed it in less than 10 seconds, no costs involved.

I do have to go back to the DMV tomorrow with my "cleared for reinstatement" status and pay $65 to reinstate plus $50 as a service fee and I will have my license back in good standing.

I do have to deal with my most recent speeding ticket, but that is apparently a separate issue and won't impede my getting my license back tomorrow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina