Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 06:20 PM

569 posts, read 341,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I step out of Chapelboro all the time. I am in Alamance County every weekday. What does that have to do with anything?

You think people in Norlina are going to be prejudiced against this Italian person? I think not if they are nice, kind, polite, and friendly. I do think it is an offensive question to ask. Just assume the worst right off the bat.
In fairness, the OP claimed that people tell him that he acts and talks like a stereotypical mobster. If true, he would likely have a hard time not standing out like a sore thumb. Don't know if he was being serious about that or not.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:24 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Raleigh View Post
In fairness, the OP claimed that people tell him that he acts and talks like a stereotypical mobster. If true, he would likely have a hard time not standing out like a sore thumb. Don't know if he was being serious about that or not.
All I can say about this is "Jim Valvano". If he wasn't a typical Italian-American from NY, then I don't know who would be. He was well loved and never changed or tempered who he was because of where he was.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:39 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,338,660 times
Exactly. Jimmy V was a great guy. Super Italian, and super nice, friendly, polite, kind, and really embraced North Carolina and NC State. Even UNC and Duke fans respected him.

If Vinny is a genuinely friendly, polite and kind guy and embraces North Carolina and Virginia then I imagine the folks in Norlina will like him, but if Vinny goes in assuming that people in NC will be prejudiced against him then he stands a pretty good chance of coming off like a jerk.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:46 PM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
I blend in with most Caucasians here.
Well, you are caucasian. Italian DNA is so close to Greeks', that it is hard to tell them apart.

When we lived in Texas with our long unusual Italian surname, no one was rude. When we lived in Boston, people made a point of how odd our surname was. Texans are very polite. Bostonians aren't.

Churches are much more active in the South than the Northeast. In the NE, church amounts to only attending Mass once a week. In the South, there are weekly groups and activities, etc. People make social connections around their church and stick to their own.

Regardless, I'll give the same advice given to NYC's tourists: don't standout, blend in with your language and dress. Obey all traffic laws. Never talk about religion and politics.

I am curious, haven't you seen the town before?

Old 01-26-2020, 08:06 PM

569 posts, read 341,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
All I can say about this is "Jim Valvano". If he wasn't a typical Italian-American from NY, then I don't know who would be. He was well loved and never changed or tempered who he was because of where he was.
I agree- but Jim Volvano did not act like a "stereotypical mobster". I have several neighbors from NY, some are of Italian descent, while others are not. My next door neighbors are from Brooklyn. All fine people.

The OP states that people he knows in NY think that he acts and talks like a mobster. If true, people in Norlina will likely notice this as well. Anyone ever seen the Sopranos ???

Also, going from NY to Norlina will be an extreme culture shock for Mr. Castellano to say the least.

Old 01-26-2020, 09:38 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Exactly. Jimmy V was a great guy. Super Italian, and super nice, friendly, polite, kind, and really embraced North Carolina and NC State. Even UNC and Duke fans respected him.

If Vinny is a genuinely friendly, polite and kind guy and embraces North Carolina and Virginia then I imagine the folks in Norlina will like him, but if Vinny goes in assuming that people in NC will be prejudiced against him then he stands a pretty good chance of coming off like a jerk.
Well, what I can say, from experience, is a lot will depend on how well the OP takes to strangers talking to him in stores.

During the real estate bubble, my town in South Jersey was invaded by people from the NYC metro. I will tell of two of my experiences. You may make your decision of how he'll do based on my experiences.

People in South Jersey talk to strangers in stores just like here.

One experience involved commenting on a pork loin to the woman standing next to me. She ran out of the store, screaming, from the meat department, in the back end of the store. You knew she'd left the store when the screaming faded out.

The other experience was when I commented on an item in the deli counter to a different woman. She shoved me into the counter while she cursed at me. The guy behind the counter immediately told her to apologize, so she tried to leave, but was grabbed by a manager. The manager, while holding her arm, came over and asked if I was alright and asked if I wanted her to call the police. I assured her that I was OK and didn't want to get involved with the police. The manager then told the woman that she was taking her to the office to get her name and so the others could see her, and if she ever came into the store again the police would be called.

If the OP is going to have a problem with strangers talking to him he shouldn't move south of Edison, NJ.

Last edited by southbound_295; 01-26-2020 at 09:49 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 07:05 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,535,379 times
Quote:
i think it's fairly offensive that you even ask this question. We are not backwoods racists here.

People won't like you if you are rude and a know-it-all. That's the main thing that bugs people here when people move from other parts of the country. North carolina has been inundated with transplants from the northeast and elsewhere. If you can be polite, kind, friendly, and not tell people how they did things back home (protip: We don't care) then you should get along fine.

Try to avoid insulting people by implying that they are prejudiced before you even meet them.

Norlina is an extremely small town and chances are you will stick out like a sore thumb, so go out of your way to be polite, kind, and friendly.
+2

Old 01-27-2020, 10:53 PM

146 posts, read 139,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
the south is mainly "bible belt" Protestant with a culture of NASCAR, SEC football (2nd to none according to them), rural activities like hunting, fishing (noodling), etc.
Have you ever been to NC?

Old 01-28-2020, 06:28 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times
Quote:
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You would be hard pressed to find anyone who cares anything about SEC football in North Carolina.
Geaux Tigers!

Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Geaux Tigers!
How 'Bout them Dawgs! Woof Woof Woof!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina