U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2020, 07:43 PM

2 posts, read 2,433 times

Advertisements

I'm of Italian ancestry, black hair, pale skin, I dress pretty formal & smart usually, and coming from up here we have loads of Italians not just in NY but most of the upper Northeast (New England, etc...) So what I'm asking is in regards to the culture differences and stuff, will I face certain prejudices from people, locals or police? I'm cautious because even though I'm white as snow with the black hair & very rarely people think Hispanic or Arab (usually ignorant people), although I blend in with most Caucasians here.

Up here, you usually only see black people & Hispanics face scrutiny & harassment from police and such, from what people tell me I also act & talk like a stereotypical "mobster", whatever that means. Mafia!! What Mafia?!?!?!
I'm likely moving to a town called Norlina right at the state line of NC/VA as my business will be based in Virginia, Norlina from what I hear has a population of about 1700, I do have my worries and reservations on how I might be treated. Am I going to stand out like a sore thumb or should I have an easy time blending in?

If anybody has anything to say please let me know, would like to hear from a fellow relocated Yankee or Goomba themselves especially such.

Last edited by VinnyCastellano96; 01-22-2020 at 08:57 PM..
Rate this post positively

Old 01-22-2020, 09:17 PM

1,793 posts, read 2,216,019 times
Most people see Italians as the same as any other white person. Most wouldn't know, nor probably care about what specific part of Europe your ancestry is from down here.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:26 PM

2 posts, read 2,433 times
While I do agree with you to an extent that's holds true up here and most places for the most part, but I've been to and seen some places where people are ignorant to the extreme, like hearing about people mislabeling someone because of sheer ignorance, like people categorizing Sikhs as Muslims and so forth. Hopefully you're right though.

Old 01-22-2020, 09:34 PM

4,799 posts, read 4,511,511 times
I feel like if anything, people think Italians are very exotic, attractive, cool, neat, etc.

Most likely, people won’t know or care.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:03 AM

6,087 posts, read 3,772,725 times
The biggest issue with some (and I emphasize some) very small towns wouldn't be because you're of Italian descent. It is that you might be treated differently because you didn't grow up there, even if you were from only 25 miles away.

I can't speak to how that is in Norlina, though and sometimes it's the opposite and they are extremely welcoming, especially if that's the kind of place that you feel more at home in, rather than a hectic larger city. It helps greatly if you seem happy to be there versus noting an area's shortcomings. I'm not a Yankee or Goomba (I don't even know what that is), but have lived in several small towns in North Carolina that I didn't grow up in. I've have been friends and acquaintances with several people of Italian descent in those small towns and never recall them talking about being treated poorly because of that.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:22 AM

12,463 posts, read 14,310,825 times
I think it's fairly offensive that you even ask this question. We are not backwoods racists here.

People won't like you if you are rude and a know-it-all. That's the main thing that bugs people here when people move from other parts of the country. North Carolina has been inundated with transplants from the Northeast and elsewhere. If you can be polite, kind, friendly, and not tell people how they did things back home (protip: we don't care) then you should get along fine.

Try to avoid insulting people by implying that they are prejudiced before you even meet them.

Norlina is an extremely small town and chances are you WILL stick out like a sore thumb, so go out of your way to be polite, kind, and friendly.

Old 01-23-2020, 09:25 AM

4 posts, read 2,382 times
I've always thought Italians were entertaining and like the whole pride thing you all have.

It is not about race for me... It is about culture and mentality and such. I love the South and don't love people who put it down. Leave behind the New York mentality and you'll find it easier.

If anything the Italians I've had bad interactions with generally spout out negative things about all the hicks around here or how there isn't any good Italian food down here. But then again that can be anyone from up North.

But what you will find in North Carolina is if you grew up in a town 10 miles west and move to the town 10 miles east... You can easily feel like a foreigner. Lol. I deal with it everywhere I go. It's a southern thing.

Old 01-23-2020, 04:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 987,409 times
I think you will find more animosity towards a New Jersyian/Bostonian/NY Yankee than "Italian" in Charlotte. Whether these are races and if it is racism is a separate question.

Old 01-23-2020, 06:38 PM

569 posts, read 267,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnyCastellano96 View Post
I'm of Italian ancestry, black hair, pale skin, I dress pretty formal & smart usually, and coming from up here we have loads of Italians not just in NY but most of the upper Northeast (New England, etc...) So what I'm asking is in regards to the culture differences and stuff, will I face certain prejudices from people, locals or police? I'm cautious because even though I'm white as snow with the black hair & very rarely people think Hispanic or Arab (usually ignorant people), although I blend in with most Caucasians here.

Up here, you usually only see black people & Hispanics face scrutiny & harassment from police and such, from what people tell me I also act & talk like a stereotypical "mobster", whatever that means. Mafia!! What Mafia?!?!?!
I'm likely moving to a town called Norlina right at the state line of NC/VA as my business will be based in Virginia, Norlina from what I hear has a population of about 1700, I do have my worries and reservations on how I might be treated. Am I going to stand out like a sore thumb or should I have an easy time blending in?

If anybody has anything to say please let me know, would like to hear from a fellow relocated Yankee or Goomba themselves especially such.
I've been through Norlina several times over the past few years, and stopped to eat lunch there a time or two. It's a lovely place, near Lake Gaston. From what I saw, you should have no trouble fitting in whatsoever, even if you "act and talk like a stereotypical mobster" as you stated. Yeah, you will fit right in.

Old 01-25-2020, 06:57 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,253,897 times
Norlina? Have you ever been there? Its tiny, population is actually about 1,000, and its located in one of the most economically distressed counties in the state. Plus its in the middle of nowhere. I hope you have, or will, visit it in person before committing to move there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina