Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 12:08 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,081,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagemomma View Post
This is ridiculous. A barber could wear a mask and gloves and be completely safe.

But my money's on his wife. Kristin is quite capable and I'm sure she wouldn't let him make a step with a hair out of place.
I completely agree. I am not saying do not 'social distance', I just there are better ways to go about this. Such as a barber shop only allowing appointments and wear gloves, masks, etc.

This current "all or nothing" approach is counterproductive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2020, 12:20 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,639,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
I completely agree. I am not saying do not 'social distance', I just there are better ways to go about this. Such as a barber shop only allowing appointments and wear gloves, masks, etc.

This current "all or nothing" approach is counterproductive.
And I actually agree with this. But it took you 6 posts to make a cogent, non politicized point without name calling. You'll find people agree with you more if you simply state a logical, semi-compelling reason, and leave off the extraneous bs.

Old 04-20-2020, 12:35 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,018,353 times
Quote:
Barbers / stylists in NC have to attend school, and obtain a license to cut or style hair in NC.

For example, the Barbers Board of NC and the North Carolina Board of Cosmetic Arts Examiners specifically forbids them from cutting hair or any business other than a licensed shop. A violation of this could get their certification revoked. So, officially, they cannot make "house calls" in NC.
Officially I can't do lots of things I do... and there's a laundry list of many things many people do. Not saying these things are right, just pointing out the obvious that these things happen all the time.

Even if the OP is right, do you honestly think Cooper is the only person in the whole state getting his hair cut by a "professional"?

Old 04-20-2020, 03:21 PM

23,809 posts, read 34,641,264 times
Maybe he got a Flowbee.

Old 04-21-2020, 04:03 PM

1,204 posts, read 775,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Maybe he got a Flowbee.
Maybe it's Maybelline

Old 04-21-2020, 05:11 PM

278 posts, read 576,689 times
Licensed hairdressers and barbers have the threat of losing their license for 2 years plus a fine of $2500 if caught working during the shutdown. I find people can tolerate the request, if those requesting follow the same rules. Another case of do as I say, not as I do, in our face behavior.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:30 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,271,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
Licensed hairdressers and barbers have the threat of losing their license for 2 years plus a fine of $2500 if caught working during the shutdown. I find people can tolerate the request, if those requesting follow the same rules. Another case of do as I say, not as I do, in our face behavior.
Oh, please. Everybody around the governor and court is probably tested frequently, just like other Republican/Dem Governors, Senators, President, etc. The same isn't applicable for Joe or Jane hairdresser. If this is a political talking point it's time to get out of the house and at least walk up and down road taking a few deep breaths, social distancing....damn.

Old 04-23-2020, 06:59 AM

278 posts, read 576,689 times
Hair salons are not just a vanity business. People with disabilities and physical limitations rely on hairdressers to wash their hair. At this point you have people who have not had their hair washed in a month. The hairdressers aren’t allowed to do home visits either. I know some may sneak around, but the quality people are not. The lose of their license for 2 years and the $2500 fine is also a strong purnishment.

So when these people sit home, and lack the physical ability to wash their hair, they want to see a governor who is doing his own hair too.

Many salons can do the 6 foot thing. The hairdressers expect they will be wearing masks and gloves too. The client will be protected, and with clean hair if they can just go to work.

Old 04-23-2020, 08:42 AM

13,693 posts, read 12,399,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rentbent View Post
Since the governor signed the order to close hair salons and barbershops, I can't help but notice his hair week after week still looks professionally cut. Same with the local news anchors-hair and makeup continues to be professionally done while the rest of us stylists are ordered to stay home. Clearly the rules don't apply to everyone.
Quote:
The same goes for everyone, even Trump. But Roy Cooper is responsible for NC and he is the one who decided to close barber shops and salons in NC. Hypocritical right ?
I never get why people think that the rules do apply to everyone equally all the time.

They don't, and They never have, going right back to when the constitution was written. A congressman can be driving drunk and if he's driving to congress, he can't be arrested.

If you want to style hair for News Anchors I'm sure their hair and makeup folks are no more or less qualified than you are, and you're free to apply. It's no stretch to assume that their hair and makeup folks are employees of the news station. It's not a stretch to assume that the Governor's Hair stylist has a loophole written in somewhere.

Old 04-23-2020, 11:42 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,018,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I never get why people think that the rules do apply to everyone equally all the time.

They don't, and They never have, going right back to when the constitution was written. A congressman can be driving drunk and if he's driving to congress, he can't be arrested.

If you want to style hair for News Anchors I'm sure their hair and makeup folks are no more or less qualified than you are, and you're free to apply. It's no stretch to assume that their hair and makeup folks are employees of the news station. It's not a stretch to assume that the Governor's Hair stylist has a loophole written in somewhere.
+1

It's the simple lesson we teach our whining young kids - life isn't fair. It never was and won't ever be. All rules, don't apply to all people. All people do not get the same treatment, same opportunities.... on and on.

However, in this day and age, all that goes out the window in favor of playing politics - grown adults, who should know better, are doing the whining on social media because politician A (which they don't like) is being unfair. It's actually quite funny if you think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina