U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 12:49 PM

5,361 posts, read 3,987,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
Oh-oh. My fav topic. You are in trouble, cause I am going to overwhelm you with information.

You are looking in the wrong places. Modernist houses are mostly in Raleigh-Durham and Chapel Hill areas. In fact, North Carolina is top place for modernist and mid-century homes. I remember reading in some architecture website or magazine that Triangle is like #3 after LA and Chicago (can't remember exactly, but I think that was the order). That's all because of the NC State Architecture school. In 1950s, they were able to recruit some hot-shot architect to lead the school which in turn attracted all these modernist architects who stayed and created some amazing modernist houses in the area.

I love modernist homes myself and Durham has lot of them. I personally bought a mid-mod ranch with a true flat-pitch roof last year, and love it! It's in a cute neighborhood with a bunch of mid-mods. But, the neighborhood that's next to mine, has more of those and really really stunning ones. The ones that were custom built by architects.

First, check out this website that curates all the modernist homes in this state: http://www.ncmodernist.org/. The homeowners submit their homes to this site... check out the "for sale" section. Again, it's not all that's available now. It's just the ones submitted by the people selling their homes.

Here are some recently sold homes. The top three are from the neighborhood next to mine. It's Duke Forest and every other house is pretty much a mid-mod there:

https://www.redfin.com/NC/Durham/180.../home/43533202
https://www.redfin.com/NC/Durham/25-.../home/43533708
We actually went to see this one: https://www.redfin.com/NC/Durham/272.../home/43519418. We didn't make an offer on it, because it just had too many things that we didn't want to deal with at all. Too much to update. But, it was a true, small and cute mid-mod. I do remember our realtor saying that there were over 10 offers on it.

This one basically sat on market for a LOOOONG time. Finally sold recently. It looked like a cool house. So much natural light but not the safest location/schools though. I think that's the main reason for it to be on market that long. https://www.redfin.com/NC/Durham/221.../home/43524001

Chapel Hill has some stunning ones too. We looked at a couple there but ultimately we wanted to live in Durham so we didn't consider anything seriously there.

Durham has some AMAZING modernist commercial/government buildings as well for being such a small town. You should just come down and check the whole place out. Durham transportation station, the new main library, even the freaking Durham jail is pretty cool. For a long time I thought it was some kind of art center but someone told it was the jail.
The reason that house on Wilshire sat for so long was because they had it overpriced by about 300k and let it sit at that price for 3 months before a $250k price reduction. (Originally listed at $950k; eventually sold for $680k after 9 months and 2 price reductions).

The only real dangerous spot in that neighborhood is at the bottom of a staircase at a house a couple streets over.

My parents grew up near Rochester and still have relatives up there. $700k houses up there are mansions; I seriously doubt OP plans to spend that kind of $$$ on a modernist house in the Triangle. $250k+ houses in that area are considered expensive. I have an uncle who lives in Pittsford which is the wealthiest town in the area and in a large, completely renovated house near the Erie Canal with top-notch schools; and his house would probably sell for less than $350k.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 05:13 PM

12,371 posts, read 14,002,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLfan1977 View Post
Personally I would live in the mountains if I could-less mold and humidity.
That's not true. It's very humid in most of the mountains. We have a home in Boone. Plenty of mold up there too. Parts of the mountains down near Brevard are a temperate rainforest.

Old 04-30-2020, 05:32 PM

12,321 posts, read 23,109,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
.......First, check out this website that curates all the modernist homes in this state: http://www.ncmodernist.org/.....
Thanks for the link to a great resource. I agree the moderist houses in Durham and Raleigh are quite expensive. But there are more reasonable ones in the middle of the state: Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Albemarle. For example, I love this one: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8-28262#photo2

If the OP's could work from one of those cities, they would have some good choices.

BTW, I remembered a "Love It or List It" show on HGTV where they "updated" mid-century modern home, and destroyed the kitchen. It was probably in Durham, so that was my first suggestion.

Old 05-01-2020, 08:27 AM

920 posts, read 459,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
That's not true. It's very humid in most of the mountains. We have a home in Boone. Plenty of mold up there too. Parts of the mountains down near Brevard are a temperate rainforest.
I guess I’m in the wrong state. For some reason, if I’m in higher elevation in NC, it feels better. Mold is my most troublesome allergy, so I’ll have to convince husband we should move elsewhere.

For the OP, moving south is just another set of challenges. We have them wherever we live. In eastern NC, the storms are a big deal and insurance is costly. Elsewhere in NC, there is flooding from the storms.

Old 05-01-2020, 09:55 AM

12,371 posts, read 14,002,547 times
It definitely feels cooler in the mountains, but that's not the same as low humidity. All that lush green moss growing in the mountains just loves the humidity up there and the frequent rains, fog and mists. Mold is pretty common. That said the driest and the wettest places in the state in terms of annual rainfall are both in the mountains, so if you get in the right microclimate that might help with your mold allergies. But the Southeast in general is probably the worst place in the country for allergies.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,607,060 times
Here's a nice one just outside Charlotte NC in a bedroom community to uptown.

It was featured years ago in the local newspaper. One of a kind, owned by the same family all these years.

https://www.zillow.com/b/724-amanda-...ews-nc-9BMbGN/

Old 05-01-2020, 11:02 AM

31,935 posts, read 73,469,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdUpstateNYers View Post
My husband and I both grew up in the Rochester, NY area and complain every single winter about hating the snow and cold-- or at least that it lasts about 9 months. We are ready for a move south but are not sure where. We still have family here in Rochester so being on the west coast is out of the question.

So....thoughts? Suggestions?
Snowbird for a few years.
Rent in different areas and poke around for what suits. Or not.

Old 05-01-2020, 11:03 AM

31,935 posts, read 73,469,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdUpstateNYers View Post
My husband and I both grew up in the Rochester, NY area and complain every single winter about hating the snow and cold--
or at least that it lasts about 9 months. We are ready for a move south but are not sure where.

So....thoughts? Suggestions?
Snowbird for a few years.
Rent in different areas and poke around for what suits. Or not.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:25 PM

6,223 posts, read 9,005,794 times
We have very mild Autumns and Winters. That would give you a nice break from the hard winters and snow where you are, but....

The humidity. Oppressively hot and humid from from about June - September. Not trying to be discouraging, but that is just the honest truth.

Old 05-07-2020, 07:51 AM

154 posts, read 254,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Moving south and not liking humidity - not a good combination.
We felt Rochester was worse for humidity than here generally, being that it is on the leeward side of a big lake. (the dreaded lake effect)

This is outside of tropical storm season of course.

I will take 97 and sunny over 84 and humid any time.

Besides we now have Wegmans

Regards,

Dave
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina