Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 06:37 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
I was watching PBS New Hour this evening, and they interviewed the mayor of Athens GA. Clearly frustrated with the Georgia Governor, he said "I mean, I sit here in front of you, and I wonder, can I get annexed into Germany or at least North Carolina?"
People in North Carolina need to not be complacent because if intelligent people don't keep being vigilant and voting, the fringe "leadership" that Georgia ended up with could happen here in North Carolina. The Atlanta metro area makes up over half of the state's population, and even that factor didn't stop the diseased trojan horse from riding in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2020, 10:04 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I am not a D or a R supporter

Out of all the Governor's in the South he rocks has my vote! Now need Matthew McConaughey winning Texas we be alright alright.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:59 PM

For the most part, as I've mentioned earlier, I think Cooper and his team do a commendable job. He has had so much to have to deal with during his administration during COVID-19, the horrible hurricanes, and the political ambushing he has sometimes received, and done so with a high level of dignity, professionalism, and competence. I have so much more confidence in him than some other governors like DeSantis in Florida, or even worse, Kemp in Georgia, who is cannibalizing his own state with his political and cultural wars, but I can see Lt. Gov. Forest following in those other governors' footsteps if he were in office as governor. He may not be exactly like them, but he would be more in their direction than what we have now, and probably more so than even McCrory would have been had he been reelected.

If I had to give constructive criticism on Cooper's coronavirus response, his executive order concerning mask wearing, and some other provisions has too many loopholes with "mays" and "shoulds" instead of "shalls" and "musts" in terms of what can be enforced, and also too many provisions that are on the honor system. Cooper's a lawyer, so obviously he understands that these words have different implications, or maybe he's concerned about the legal merits of certain things being extremely strict. Or maybe he's just a little too optimistic about some of the population in this state doing the right thing and being empathetic to protect not only only their own health (which some people can't even do), but the health of people around them, which is the case more in some places than others.

Also, I'm not so sure how the school issue is going to work out.

Overall, very good response from him and his team though, and good enough to offer my support.

Old 07-23-2020, 05:51 AM

20 posts, read 16,430 times
Cooper has done an excellent job at killing off small businesses, that’s for sure. Our numbers are still high even after these extended shut downs.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:34 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
People in North Carolina need to not be complacent because if intelligent people don't keep being vigilant and voting, the fringe "leadership" that Georgia ended up with could happen here in North Carolina. The Atlanta metro area makes up over half of the state's population, and even that factor didn't stop the diseased trojan horse from riding in.
I'm neutral politically, and hate politics.

But Gov. Kemp has so far been like all of the others here in Georgia, a state where you must have the label "conservative" in all of you tv ads if you want to win.

Thank God North Carolina voters wouldn't tolerate ads like Kemp's though, where he points a shotgun at the boy dating his daughter from 3 feet away.

I don't blame Kemp for his push to reopen the state's economy even if it turns out to be a bad call.

A strong push to be business friendly by his predecessor, Nathan Deal, fueled Atlanta's roaring comeback after the recession.

But Cooper who has spent his career in NC politics is a poised, class act and a leader that bodes well for NC's reputation after the bathroom bill nonsense.

Old 07-24-2020, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I'm neutral politically, and hate politics.

But Gov. Kemp has so far been like all of the others here in Georgia, a state where you must have the label "conservative" in all of you tv ads if you want to win.

Thank God North Carolina voters wouldn't tolerate ads like Kemp's though, where he points a shotgun at the boy dating his daughter from 3 feet away.

I don't blame Kemp for his push to reopen the state's economy even if it turns out to be a bad call.

A strong push to be business friendly by his predecessor, Nathan Deal, fueled Atlanta's roaring comeback after the recession.

But Cooper who has spent his career in NC politics is a poised, class act and a leader that bodes well for NC's reputation after the bathroom bill nonsense.
Nothing would surprise me about a loose canon like this. I saw the ad and it appears more like a comedy skit, and not an ad of anyone competent to lead a growing, dynamic state.

NC has its share of politicians like that though, but thankfully not as Governor. They're mixed in the state legislature, and in many of the state's ultra conservative counties with county commissioners, sheriffs, etc.

Old 07-25-2020, 02:33 PM

2,486 posts, read 1,418,407 times
For some reason he has shown he LOVES ILLEGAL ALIENS COMING TO NC. He even blocked the approved legislation that would have required local sheriffs NOT to release wanted criminals back into society and defy the federal INS authorities..WHY????? If you want even more illegal lawbreakers here vote for this bum.

Old 07-25-2020, 06:25 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post
For some reason he has shown he LOVES ILLEGAL ALIENS COMING TO NC. He even blocked the approved legislation that would have required local sheriffs NOT to release wanted criminals back into society and defy the federal INS authorities..WHY????? If you want even more illegal lawbreakers here vote for this bum.
I don't know. I dated an undocumented Latina here in Charlotte awhile back. She was smart, hard working, and very attractive (way out of my league to be honest). I think the dislike towards undocumented Americans has a lot to do with a lack of personal relationships with one. My mind changed a lot after dating such a person.

Old 07-26-2020, 08:21 AM

6,957 posts, read 8,490,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr78609 View Post

As opposed to the long-dominant Republican legislature which have cut income tax rates (really benefits the richest NC citizens) and raised sales and nuisance taxes (which affects the poor and middle class much more). Thanks Repubs for the "sales tax" on my gas and electric bills. I'd like to roast Phil Burger and Thom Tillis on a large, gas grill until they're well-done!

I'll be voting for Governor Cooper as long as he's willing to run. Maybe the Research Triangle Boys and Girls can figure out how to clone him, so our other long-suffering neighbors to the south of us can escape their Covid-Loving governors!

Old 07-27-2020, 12:35 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,938,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
As opposed to the long-dominant Republican legislature which have cut income tax rates (really benefits the richest NC citizens) and raised sales and nuisance taxes (which affects the poor and middle class much more). Thanks Repubs for the "sales tax" on my gas and electric bills. I'd like to roast Phil Burger and Thom Tillis on a large, gas grill until they're well-done!

I'll be voting for Governor Cooper as long as he's willing to run. Maybe the Research Triangle Boys and Girls can figure out how to clone him, so our other long-suffering neighbors to the south of us can escape their Covid-Loving governors!
The taxing on those things is, of course, to make all citizens contribute to the costs of operating the state.

In a way I agree, why should personal income tax of a portion of the state's workers pay for it all when there are millions who do not have to pay income tax for whatever reason?

I think everyone should have to pay at least $100 per year in federal taxes too, because everyone benefits from protection by the armed forces, etc.

It would be a token amount, but I don't think that the whole country should operate from the wealthy's taxes. it's the principle of the thing.

Income inequality could be improved by getting the lowest paid workers participating in the stock market and and taxing capital gains the same as regular income.

CVS, target, Kroger, etc. could easily be giving a few share of stock to their employees as part of their compensation which, because of having skin in the game, could lead to better customer service, happier and harder working employees and better employee retention.

You hit on the tiny part of Cooper that I don't like.... too textbook Democrat regarding lower-income citizens and what they should contribute. The stork didn't bring all of those children that need to be fed.

Choices. Birth control.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina