Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM

3,644 posts, read 8,575,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
According to hotspot data, Cooper's policies ARE working... our situation is markedly milder than those of our neighbors. So what's your point?

Uhhhh, no. They are not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2020, 10:09 AM

3,080 posts, read 4,851,029 times
Here are specific issues I have with how Cooper has dealt with COVID...

He should have enacted zones within NC that allowed Phase 3 early this summer in counties that have shown not much Covid issues...we have entire regions that have little to no Covid deaths and low number of cases. Look at a map and you notice that outside of the Charlotte region the low numbers are usually the counties that surround OTHER STATES.

The ABC stores have been open the ENTIRE time...while bars that sell liquor have been closed the entire time. State is making a killing while Joe business owner loses his business. How about taking those ABC profits and turning them into a program that helps the bar owner pay his bills while the governor shut him down.

Grocery stores open the entire time...but no masks during quarantine...but masks now. You cant make that up.

Open up on Memorial Day...you know because we need the money. More inconsistency.

No gyms, but other states have gyms.

No movies even without masks, social distancing, limits to number of people. But other places can have that. More inconsistency.

5 more weeks. Why 5? Why not week to week? Is is too much for the governor to make these decisions every week when its costing so many people THEIR money?

Finally, it took him 3-4 weeks to enact strict rules for nursing homes...which killed a lot of folks who had no place to go.

Old 08-06-2020, 10:47 AM

467 posts, read 426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Uhhhh, no. They are not.
Do you want to actually provide a rebuttal/source like I have or just deny with no explanation?

Old 08-06-2020, 12:59 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
According to hotspot data, Cooper's policies ARE working... our situation is markedly milder than those of our neighbors. So what's your point?
Doesn't look much different from Virginia (where gyms have been open for a while) in your source. Also your source has colors but no legend, what do the colors even mean? Percentage of cases relative to population? Overall cases? Actual deaths? It actually looks higher than Virginia whatever the colors mean. So my point stands.

The bottom line (and common sense) is that if people are outside the house and interacting then cases will rise. What's the point of opening certain businesses playing favorites but restricting others? Do we keep them all closed for the theoretical vaccine that might not come until next year, if ever? Nearly every place that had stringent lockdowns early has had increased cases once they opened. Either close everything or let all types of businesses open safely with masks and social distancing. I noticed that the government owned ABC stores NEVER closed. Walmart, grocery stores, and even shopping malls are open. Interesting.

Old 08-06-2020, 02:04 PM

467 posts, read 426,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Doesn't look much different from Virginia (where gyms have been open for a while) in your source. Also your source has colors but no legend, what do the colors even mean? Percentage of cases relative to population? Overall cases? Actual deaths? It actually looks higher than Virginia whatever the colors mean. So my point stands.

The bottom line (and common sense) is that if people are outside the house and interacting then cases will rise. What's the point of opening certain businesses playing favorites but restricting others? Do we keep them all closed for the theoretical vaccine that might not come until next year, if ever? Nearly every place that had stringent lockdowns early has had increased cases once they opened. Either close everything or let all types of businesses open safely with masks and social distancing. I noticed that the government owned ABC stores NEVER closed. Walmart, grocery stores, and even shopping malls are open. Interesting.
The color is by average daily cases per 100,000 people in the past week.

I'm not arguing against reopening some things, I'm saying in general, Cooper has taken the right stance, especially compared to states like Georgia.

As to your point about grocery stores... do you not think buying food to survive is a bit more essential than going to a gym to workout? Can one not workout at home or social distance and run outside? It's a lot harder to workout while wearing a mask than to go shopping while wearing a mask. Hence enforcing it will be more hectic, and people are naturally going to disobey more.

Old 08-07-2020, 08:15 AM

110 posts, read 182,831 times
Tell me about it. Leaving Florida if NC will have us. We are impressed.

Old 08-07-2020, 06:09 PM

3,661 posts, read 3,934,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Here are specific issues I have with how Cooper has dealt with COVID...

He should have enacted zones within NC that allowed Phase 3 early this summer in counties that have shown not much Covid issues...we have entire regions that have little to no Covid deaths and low number of cases. Look at a map and you notice that outside of the Charlotte region the low numbers are usually the counties that surround OTHER STATES.

The ABC stores have been open the ENTIRE time...while bars that sell liquor have been closed the entire time. State is making a killing while Joe business owner loses his business. How about taking those ABC profits and turning them into a program that helps the bar owner pay his bills while the governor shut him down.

Grocery stores open the entire time...but no masks during quarantine...but masks now. You cant make that up.

Open up on Memorial Day...you know because we need the money. More inconsistency.

No gyms, but other states have gyms.

No movies even without masks, social distancing, limits to number of people. But other places can have that. More inconsistency.

5 more weeks. Why 5? Why not week to week? Is is too much for the governor to make these decisions every week when its costing so many people THEIR money?

Finally, it took him 3-4 weeks to enact strict rules for nursing homes...which killed a lot of folks who had no place to go.
all state officials have been overwhelmed by this while also handling the day to day normal operations of the state.

they don't have the time to study which areas could have less restrictions, and the public can't process instructions good for only 7 days.

anyway the people who want less restrictions would pour into the areas where they could bar hop and workout so that would defeat the purpose.

what i think is needed is the numbers on essential workers who got sick before- during -after changes in restrictions. Then we'd know if the gym was really risky or not, or the grocery store, etc.

Detailed numbers at these places that have remained open are easily obtained.

To scare people into taking it more seriously, why not some tv footage of ICU departments with nurses giving the condition of each room's patient, the severity, the chance of their surviving., all without specific identities but I bet plenty of families would share their story if it would help.

We get none of that kind of view of how serious this pandemic is or not.

Old 08-08-2020, 07:20 AM

396 posts, read 971,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
5 more weeks gives them time to see the results of kids going back to school. Schools that are having in person classes start on August 17th. Since it typically takes 2-3 weeks to see impacts of any increasing or decreasing of restrictions, this gives them about 3 1/2 weeks of kids and staff back in school as well as those that might be going back to work because kids are back in school.

Old 08-09-2020, 05:32 AM

16,761 posts, read 8,206,347 times
I was in Maryland and found the mandated wearing of masks less risky. I was in a state camp ground and people even had masks on when going for water or to the shower rooms.

All stores had personal keeping track of #'s coming in and going out. No mask no entry.

I think Cooper should be mandating mask wearing across the board allowing more business to open.

Old 08-12-2020, 11:42 AM

515 posts, read 252,506 times
Cooper has done nothing more than listen to the experts... and that is all I want him to do. Listen and make a decision that makes sense for us. You may think Cooper has been generic but I'd rather have him over Desantis and especially Kemp. Our rate per 10K residents is 26th in the nation, which is ok. That would be fun, giving every governor a grade for how they handled it so far. Kemp might grab an F, but Cuomo (even though I'm a Dem, his move to put recovery patients in nursing homes was pure stupidity) and Desantis may be there too. Forrest would have opened us up way too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina