Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

My wife and I are considering moving to NC from Arizona. I was born and raised in Oregon and my wife in Arizona. I have spent my last 3 years here in Arizona. My wife has always wanted to move to NC. We just had our first baby 5 months ago and want to build our family, possibly in NC. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight to moving to NC and how it may compare/contrast to AZ or OR, and if it is a good place to raise a family and your recommendation of the state. Looking forward to hearing back, and thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 04:45 PM

773 posts, read 647,445 times
You're questions are far too broad and too vague for anyone to provide a meaningful answer. Why NC? Have you ever been here? What is your work situation/requirements? Are you aware of what a NC summer feels like? NC is a large, diverse state...are you interested in the mountains, the beaches, somewhere in between? City, small town, rural? What amenities are you looking for? Whats your budget for a house? Etc., etc., etc.

Here are some existing threads that may be helpful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/char...s-looking.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...asheville.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...s-phoenix.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/west...e-arizona.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/nort...-carolina.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...nc-advice.html

Old 10-12-2020, 04:51 PM

4,900 posts, read 7,456,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsexton3 View Post
Good morning,

My wife and I are considering moving to NC from Arizona. I was born and raised in Oregon and my wife in Arizona. I have spent my last 3 years here in Arizona. My wife has always wanted to move to NC. We just had our first baby 5 months ago and want to build our family, possibly in NC. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight to moving to NC and how it may compare/contrast to AZ or OR, and if it is a good place to raise a family and your recommendation of the state. Looking forward to hearing back, and thanks so much!
It might help people if you explain why your wife has “always wanted to move to NC”. Visits? Family? College? Love of beach? Nicholas Sparks’ books? Why has she “always” wanted it?

Keep in mind NC is a very large, diverse state. The mountain towns of Appalachia/Blue Ridge have little in common with Charlotte which has little in common with the beach towns of the East.

It would help for you to be specific about what you’re seeking. Big city? Mountain town? Beach? Home size/price/square footage? Acreage? City living? Etc. Most importantly, where would you be working?

Is it a good place for a family? Only you can decide that.

Best of luck.

Old 10-12-2020, 04:59 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
....... We just had our first baby 5 months ago and want to build our family, possibly in NC. I was wondering if anyone could offer any insight to moving to NC and how it may compare/contrast to AZ or OR, and if it is a good place to raise a family and your recommendation of the state. ......
There are such huge difference in climate, culture and geography among the three states, I have to wonder what would draw you to North Carolina? Potential jobs? Just a change of scenery?

Yes, NC is a good place to raise a family, but you would be on opposite ends of the country from the children's other relatives. It would be hard to keep close contact with them. I certainly would not recommend moving here unless you were able to visit for at least a couple of weeks.

Caveat, I have family near Portland Oregon, and if I were 50 years younger, I would plan to move to Oregon. I like the scenic beauty and the openness, tolerance and conservation-mindedness of the people.

Old 10-30-2020, 10:34 PM

3 posts, read 2,947 times
Hello.

NC is similiar to Oregon in the fact that it is very green.
The humidity is at 98% usually from April into November.
There are a lot of mosquitos and other pests.
It seems to be a very polite, family friendly place in all of the places I have been to.
I live in Raleigh. I have been to the coast and to the mountains, but I generally stay in the triangle area.
I am personally moving back west because of the critters and humidity.
If you don't mind those things, it's a nice place to live.
I'm speaking generally, of course.

Old 11-26-2020, 10:32 PM

405 posts, read 318,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChanH View Post
Hello.

NC is similiar to Oregon in the fact that it is very green.
The humidity is at 98% usually from April into November.
There are a lot of mosquitos and other pests.
It seems to be a very polite, family friendly place in all of the places I have been to.
I live in Raleigh. I have been to the coast and to the mountains, but I generally stay in the triangle area.
I am personally moving back west because of the critters and humidity.
If you don't mind those things, it's a nice place to live.
I'm speaking generally, of course.

That's too funny. Are you referring to human or animal "critters" ?

cc: Jed Clampett

Old 11-30-2020, 08:57 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Quote:
Good morning,

Can you give a little more info, like WHY NC is appealing, what kind of jobs you have and if you have any contacts for jobs here during a pandemic, whether you are looking for urban or rural, mountains or coastal, what you like about NC and what you want to avoid, etc? You can just persue the board to get "general NC" info, but specifics for YOUR situation are probably what you need more, and nobody can answer that without more info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina