Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2020, 11:05 AM

48 posts, read 39,688 times

Advertisements

My daughter goes to graduate school in NC and due to the pandemic her studies got pushed back. She will not need to be living back in NC until January 2021. We had to move her out of her apartment and put her household goods in storage. She is now living back home with us in another state. She put in a USPS change of address to have her mail forwarded to our address.

Her vehicle is titled and registered in NC. My question relates to her address and inspection. Her inspection is due by 8/31/20. The NC DMV website says that:
If a vehicle is due for inspection but I will be out of state what do I do?

To receive an out-of-state exemption, you will need to submit a vehicle maintenance receipt such as an oil change, tire rotation performed or other maintenance on the vehicle.

The service invoice must include the name, phone number and address of the company who performed the service. The service invoice must also include vehicle information with plate or vin and vehicle year, make, model along with a recent date of service or an out of state inspection (showing vehicle information mentioned previously).

Documents sent must be dated within the past four months when received.
I can get a tire rotation in my state and meet this requirement, but my question relates to registration. She no longer has a NC address (but a close friend of hers lives in the Raleigh area so she can use her address if needed) but still needs to pay registration fees and personal property tax. How is that handled? Do we just pay it online and then the new registration would come to our address since she has already put in a USPS change of address form? Does she change the address on the DMV website to get a new registration? Just looking for some advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2020, 12:23 PM

628 posts, read 398,674 times
My advice? Call NCDMV at 919-715-7000, or email here: https://www.ncdot.gov/contact/Pages/...s/default.aspx

Old 06-09-2020, 12:59 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
DMV does not usually forward mail. Her better option would have been to establish an address in NC. UPS stores can give you an actual physical address.

Did she live a roommate behind at the old apartment that would collect her mail? Where do you live - can she come to NC and handle the registration renewal at a DMV office?

Old 06-09-2020, 01:06 PM

48 posts, read 39,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
DMV does not usually forward mail. Her better option would have been to establish an address in NC. UPS stores can give you an actual physical address.

Did she live a roommate behind at the old apartment that would collect her mail? Where do you live - can she come to NC and handle the registration renewal at a DMV office?
Her roommates moved out. Like I mentioned she has a close friend that lives in one of the Raleigh suburbs so she can use that address if need be. I did send an email to the DMV asking this general question so I'll be curious what they say. We live in WV and even if she goes to a DMV office they will need an address. Like you said we can always setup a physical address at a UPS store but it probably would be better to use her friends address. Her friend said she would mail my daughter anything she would get in the mail.

Old 06-13-2020, 08:32 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
As I recall there are instructions on the DMV website or online NC DMV Handbook for out of state students. Hopefully That may answer your questions. Or call the DMV office in Cary, they handle only car titles, registrations and I’m sure they could help you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina