Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2020, 08:05 AM

653 posts, read 221,766 times

Advertisements

What an awful shame. This guy was just arrested for threatening someone with an illegal gun and they let him out just to kill the innocent beautiful young girl 3 hours later. It is a shame that the justice system is so lax in our state that criminals like this cannot be locked up where they belong. This little girl did not deserve this.

7-Year-Old N.C. Girl Is Fatally Shot by Man Who Was Released from Jail Hours Earlier
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2020, 09:03 AM

628 posts, read 399,755 times
Roy Coopers fault! Or Mary-Ann Baldwin, can't remember which.

Old 06-29-2020, 09:54 AM

807 posts, read 690,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Roy Coopers fault! Or Mary-Ann Baldwin, can't remember which.
The bigger problem, and the one that you probably won't acknowledge anyway, is that if a criminal wants a gun, he or she is going to get one regardless of its legality.

This whole thing is really sad, and what's even sadder is that we likely won't hear a word from BLM or the other leftist groups who claim to care about black lives. No nationwide marches, no memorials, nothing like that.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:16 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
This whole thing is really sad, and what's even sadder is that we likely won't hear a word from BLM or the other leftist groups who claim to care about black lives. No nationwide marches, no memorials, nothing like that.
Actually those types of things happen all the time in response to gun violence in communities all across America, but 1) they aren't sensational and thus they don't get a ton of media coverage and 2) the folks who typically make these sorts of comments tend to be those who really couldn't care less about what BLM, "other leftist groups," or any other kinds of groups do or say in response to tragedies like these or, even more, what such groups do on an everyday, ongoing basis. For such folks, these types of sad events are only useful as political fodder and nothing more.

Even so, there is justifiably more outrage when civilians are killed due to police brutality as law enforcement is sworn to protect and serve and is not supposed to play judge, jury, and executioner; furthermore, they are shielded by their powerful unions as well as the law which ensures that police that engage in acts of brutality that result in the loss of life of civilians will rarely be charged and convicted, and if convicted it will amount to little more than a slap on the wrist; we know that will absolutely not be the case for civilians who inflict violence upon and kill other civilians (especially when the perpetrator is Black) so calls for justice are largely unnecessary. And it should be pointed out that it is the high profile incidents of police brutality (which had several eyewitnesses or was recorded by a bystander) that generate the most widespread outrage. That's why Elijah McClain's killing didn't result in mass protests and demonstrations when he was killed last year but if it were recorded by a bystander or if police didn't wait until several months to release the body cam footage, I guarantee you it would have made the protests over George Floyd's killing look like a church picnic. They are making up for some of that lost time in Colorado though.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-29-2020 at 10:31 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually those types of things happen all the time in response to gun violence in communities all across America, but 1) they aren't sensational and thus they don't get a ton of media coverage and 2) the folks who typically make these sorts of comments tend to be those who really couldn't care less about what BLM, "other leftist groups," or any other kinds of groups do or say in response to tragedies like these or, even more, what such groups do on an everyday, ongoing basis. For such folks, these types of sad events are only useful as political fodder and nothing more.
Thank you for that information. Can you tell me where the protest march will be and when it is scheduled for this particular incident? I would like to attend. Thank you for your help and I look forward to meeting you there.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
Thank you for that information. Can you tell me where the protest march will be and when it is scheduled for this particular incident? I would like to attend. Thank you for your help and I look forward to meeting you there.
That was last week. I'm sure the family would appreciate any donation you could make to help ease their financial burden in this most difficult hour though.

Old 06-29-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
That was last week. I'm sure the family would appreciate any donation you could make to help ease their financial burden in this most difficult hour though.
I am not interested in a few family members and friends releasing balloons. I am interested in the protest march you said happened in all these cases. I am interested in the protest march to prevent criminals from being released so quickly from jail and to prevent criminals from getting illegals guns. I am looking for the LIBGM protest march. Do you have that info? Thank you.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny Side Out View Post
I am not interested in a few family members and friends releasing balloons.
Of course you aren't; you fall into the category of people I mentioned earlier who only care about such events as political fodder and not tragedies of human suffering. At least you admitted as much.

Quote:
I am interested in the protest march you said happened in all these cases.
Except I never said such a thing. Nicholas_n stated, "No nationwide marches, no memorials, nothing like that" typically happens in response to events like these. This was a memorial to the victim on behalf of the community. If Nicholas_n was specifically referring to such events led by social justice and civic organizations such as BLM, then the pertinent question is, does Forest City even have a local BLM chapter? It is local chapters of these organizations that are responsible for mass demonstrations and such in their communities.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 06-29-2020 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-29-2020, 01:57 PM

628 posts, read 399,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
The bigger problem, and the one that you probably won't acknowledge anyway, is that if a criminal wants a gun, he or she is going to get one regardless of its legality.

Are you suggesting there have never been any marches or gatherings to protest gun violence in this country?

Old 06-29-2020, 02:43 PM

807 posts, read 690,255 times
Quote:

Even so, there is justifiably more outrage when civilians are killed due to police brutality as law enforcement is sworn to protect and serve and is not supposed to play judge, jury, and executioner; furthermore, they are shielded by their powerful unions as well as the law which ensures that police that engage in acts of brutality that result in the loss of life of civilians will rarely be charged and convicted, and if convicted it will amount to little more than a slap on the wrist; we know that will absolutely not be the case for civilians who inflict violence upon and kill other civilians (especially when the perpetrator is Black) so calls for justice are largely unnecessary. And it should be pointed out that it is the high profile incidents of police brutality (which had several eyewitnesses or was recorded by a bystander) that generate the most widespread outrage. That's why Elijah McClain's killing didn't result in mass protests and demonstrations when he was killed last year but if it were recorded by a bystander or if police didn't wait until several months to release the body cam footage, I guarantee you it would have made the protests over George Floyd's killing look like a church picnic. They are making up for some of that lost time in Colorado though.
Quote:
Except I never said such a thing. Nicholas_n stated, "No nationwide marches, no memorials, nothing like that" typically happens in response to events like these. This was a memorial to the victim on behalf of the community. If Nicholas_n was specifically referring to such events led by social justice and civic organizations such as BLM, then the pertinent question is, does Forest City even have a local BLM chapter? It is local chapters of these organizations that are responsible for mass demonstrations and such in their communities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Are you suggesting there have never been any marches or gatherings to protest gun violence in this country?
I am well aware that there are community vigils and protests following instances like these. However, I was referring to a national scale like the widespread George Floyd protests, hence the "nationwide" part of my original comment. Widespread protests basically never happen when, such as in this case, a black man kills a black child.

If BLM wanted to be at a protest in Forest City, it would have found a way to be there, or at the very least make its voice heard loud and clear if it couldn't be physically present. I have personally never been able to take BLM seriously when its messages mainly only center around a few black lives unjustifiably lost due to white/police officer misconduct, and not the much much much more frequent black on black violence that is way out of proportion considering the number of blacks that live in America. It gives the impression that black lives only matter if they are taken prematurely by whites.

Obviously I don't think it is right for police to be shielded from the repercussions that civilians would normally face, but that's not really related to this case since the police weren't even involved (other than taking police reports and whatnot).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina