Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should this thread be closed?
yes 27 71.05%
no 11 28.95%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 09:16 PM

311 posts, read 618,175 times

Advertisements

If you have been watching the news about the lacrosse team at Duke you have seen racism....both ways. No state is exempt as far as I can tell, just worse in some places, at some time, for whatever reason.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 AM

9 posts, read 115,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfilm
And reverse racism galore as well as the awful, old-fashioned nastiness of the past. I have been spit at, pushed off the sidewalks, had my dogs shot at, and my property destroyed with chainsaws by foreign nationals here in Los Angeles, not to mention having my cars totalled by foreign nationals without drivers' licenses, and allround constant, general antipathy from people who refuse to even try to learn the most basic English. Backfist, I empathize. It hard to teach tolerance when people are physically attacking you. Los Angeles is not a nice place to be an American any more. I don't think your family and you would like it here either.
Hi Fastfilm: I am not sure what part of LA you live in, and I have been in the bay area for the last 7 years, but having grown up and lived in many parts of CA, Iinland empire, orange county and bay area).....I have never heard of anything like what you are describing!!!! Are you in the middle of gang territory or what?

In any case, it sounds awful.....and shocking to this CA native!

Old 05-09-2006, 10:02 AM

110 posts, read 394,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpoodle
Hi Fastfilm: I am not sure what part of LA you live in, and I have been in the bay area for the last 7 years, but having grown up and lived in many parts of CA, Iinland empire, orange county and bay area).....I have never heard of anything like what you are describing!!!! Are you in the middle of gang territory or what?

In any case, it sounds awful.....and shocking to this CA native!

Maybe fastfilm (no offense fastfilm) cant afford to live in rather wealthy area of California, so his experiences are going to be different than yours. Sort of like people who vacation in some central American country, they see about 4 square miles of it and think it is the most relaxing beautiful place on earth. In actuality that 4 square miles was the only thing nice about it. The rest of the country is poverty stricken.

Old 05-09-2006, 10:57 AM

16 posts, read 72,340 times
You all who think California is so great,.. you can have it! I'm OUT of here!
I am tired of going to the stores and seeing hoardes of mexicans with tons of kids in tow,. young mexican girls pushing baby strollers with no wedding rings on their fingers. If they are out during the day, they certainly aren't earning a living. Who's paying for all these offspring?

Old 05-09-2006, 12:20 PM

143 posts, read 485,412 times
I've seen worse attitudes in the supposed "educated" environs of the Boston area than anywhere I've been in the South.

Old 05-09-2006, 12:53 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
I've seen worse attitudes in the supposed "educated" environs of the Boston area than anywhere I've been in the South.
I remember riots from the mid 1970's. It was over busing, wasn't it?

Last edited by mm34b; 05-09-2006 at 12:57 PM..

Old 05-09-2006, 06:46 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
NCtarheel, pinkpoodle and EllieMae- as additional info, I am a woman who's been spit at, pushed off the sidewalks, had my dogs shots at, threatened etc. etc. by foreign nationals here, graffiti everywhere. That's how rough it really is.

I would refer you to my posts in the Los Angeles forum, as the moderators don't like us to repeat threads. The crux of them is that the place has devolved into one that is only liveable if you're quite wealthy and can coccoon yourself, are illegal or violent. I live in a normal, middle class area in the San Fernando Valley. And this is a TERRIBLE way for middle class people to have to live. No wonder we want out.

Now do you see why some of us are so open to entirely new areas with different ways of life? I will do everything in my power to see that Los Angeles' ways are not spread to every corner!

Old 05-09-2006, 06:54 PM

787 posts, read 3,582,709 times
We have the first African-America mayor in the history of Greene County and at the age of 30 when he was elected to his first term, he is also the youngest in the history of a county that was incorporated in 1799. I am not going to lie and say that I have never heard it but for the most part the younger generations are a lot more receptive and don't have the hang ups that some of the older people do. What I have seen in the form of racism has been with older individuals, at least 60 years old and more. I didn't go to school with anyone but whites until I hit the 9th grade and that year (1965) they put two African-America boys in the high school. By the time I finished in 1969, the class I was in was at least 1/3 African-American. At that time, I don't think we had any hispanics in the schools at all. That came way later. I have never been one to judge anyone by the color of their skin. I guess I was ahead of my time so to speak. But I remember going to the doctor as a child in the 50's and they had the waiting rooms and water fountains sectioned off for whites and colored. It is really stupid to do such a thing. I heard on television once that death is the great equalizer. And I believe that. When you get to the funeral home, you are naked on the table and what color you is going to make little difference.

Old 05-09-2006, 08:18 PM

146 posts, read 638,414 times
Default diversity

Backfist, I saw a previous post where you were looking to put your middle schoolers into a diverse school/neighborhood. How diverse do you think, as you request a "good school system" would be. Good luck in Charlotte, its plenty diverse there. Be careful of the drive-by's, robberies and carjackings done by the diverse population you want your kids to experience.

Old 05-09-2006, 09:40 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,605,139 times
Bethanytedder, my entire family is from Tennessee, and I too have unpleasant memories of old school racism and segregation. One of the reasons I find myself bridling at the antagonism of illegals here to everyone else but their own is that it is so deja vu to the bad old days. This country has worked very hard to rid itself of those vestigial hatreds. I hope backfist and others can see the progress. Anywhere else but Los Angeles, folks shrieking "La Raza!" would be likened to the KKK. To have illegal aliens here in L.A. spit at me, an American in my own country, is heart-breakingly chilling. I look forward to relocating amongst fellow Americans of all backgrounds. At least we can converse in English and talk through any misunderstandings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina