U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-03-2020, 02:31 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,372 posts, read 69,765,043 times
Reputation: 37459

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Not true. Boone to Wrightsville Beach is 319 miles. Hendersonville to WB is 316 miles.
Literally moving the goalposts? Still, 319 ÷55 = 7 hours (with breaks/gas) = NOT quick.
How about Asheville or Maggie Valley to ... Hatteras?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-03-2020, 08:32 PM
 
775 posts, read 350,369 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Literally moving the goalposts? Still, 319 ÷55 = 7 hours (with breaks/gas) = NOT quick.
Literally a complete failure of reading comprehension? As anyone can plainly see, I suggested the OP look at the western Triangle. I was merely pointing out the fallacy of the concept that the minimum distance between mountains and beaches in NC is 500 miles as was stated by another poster.

Got it?

Last edited by Royal James; 09-03-2020 at 09:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 05:11 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
31,372 posts, read 69,765,043 times
Reputation: 37459
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Literally a complete failure of ...
The nearly complete failure is any sort of discretion when responding to the oh so aspirational
post up with some thinly considered idea (often called a 'plan') to relocate somewhere. Got it?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 05:21 AM
 
775 posts, read 350,369 times
Reputation: 727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The nearly complete failure is any sort of discretion when responding to the oh so aspirational post up with some thinly considered idea (often called a 'plan') to relocate somewhere.

Got it?
Nope, sorry. No idea what that apparently random collection of words is supposed to mean. At all.

Last edited by Royal James; 09-04-2020 at 05:38 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 01:09 PM
 
Location: On the road
1,110 posts, read 533,908 times
Reputation: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Ah, I stand corrected. I did not map it, but the state is wide and the mountains and beaches are not close together in NC. Beaches and mountains are much closer in Virginia.

Soooo, looking at the map now...

In VA, there are many areas that are around 200 miles or less between beach and mountains. Richmond is about 100 miles from Virginia Beach and 90 miles to Shenandoah National Park at the Afton entrance. Google Maps tells me it's 198 miles/3 hrs between Afton and VA Beach.

If you are in Durham, Chapel Hill, Raleigh area (the Triangle) it is about 2.5-3 hrs/190 miles to the closest bigger mountains (Boone, Blowing Rock), 4 hrs/250 miles to Asheville and 2-2.5 hrs/130 miles to the closest beach (Wrightsville Beach) and many beaches are more like 3.5 hrs, with parts of the Outer Banks being further. From Asheville to Nags Head is about 7 hrs/450 miles. It's about 500 miles from the NC side of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to Nags Head.
Agreed on VA being better for beach/mountain proximity. If OP is not dead set on NC, I'd highly recommend the Richmond area. Plenty of acceptance there without the high costs of NOVA. Otherwise, Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad are fine for compromise.

Now, finding 10 acres closer to a LGTBQ-friendly area is going to be the challenge, but we don't know OP's budget. However, I doubt people are going to be showing up at their house with pitchforks and torches. For the most part, people in those exurb/rural areas will be fine with you as long as you aren't running around shoving your beliefs down their throats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Literally moving the goalposts? Still, 319 ÷55 = 7 hours (with breaks/gas) = NOT quick.
LOL who drives that slowly? That is easily a 5-hour drive. Still not "quick" but I can't imagine adding 40% of time to the drive for breaks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 01:33 PM
 
668 posts, read 235,898 times
Reputation: 1169
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Agreed on VA being better for beach/mountain proximity. If OP is not dead set on NC, I'd highly recommend the Richmond area. Plenty of acceptance there without the high costs of NOVA. Otherwise, Charlotte, the Triangle, and the Triad are fine for compromise.

Now, finding 10 acres closer to a LGTBQ-friendly area is going to be the challenge, but we don't know OP's budget. However, I doubt people are going to be showing up at their house with pitchforks and torches. For the most part, people in those exurb/rural areas will be fine with you as long as you aren't running around shoving your beliefs down their throats.


LOL who drives that slowly? That is easily a 5-hour drive. Still not "quick" but I can't imagine adding 40% of time to the drive for breaks.
I wish that straight people would effing stop saying this. What does it mean? If these women move in to the neighborhood and the neighbor asks who they are, should they say "we are cousins"? Or, should they say they are roommates? What constitutes as not shoving their beliefs down others' throats? When a straight couple at work says "my wife and I are sending kids to their grandma's and having the house all to ourselves" -- what is that? Is that considered shoving their believes into others' throats? How is that different from a gay person saying, "we had our honeymoon in France?" Straight people get their panties in a wad and blame gays for saying simple things they do in life. They do not realize a Karen with her cubicle full of wedding and family photos is doing exactly that, every day, until she retires. But, no, it's evil f***ing gays that do all the shoving. Think about it for a second.

So that I do not get offtopic, OP, you have an odd combo of wants/needs. You can't live in rural america and expect people being open minded. If you can find that kinda place, you'll have to pay good money for it. So, pick your battles, find a place closer to a liberal, accepting city, so if you have to go into a hospital and your wife needs to accompany you -- you do not have to worry people blaming you in "shoving your beliefs down their throats" and will treat you as a person.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2020, 01:51 PM
 
Location: On the road
1,110 posts, read 533,908 times
Reputation: 3016
Quote:
Originally Posted by HatchChile View Post
I wish that straight people would effing stop saying this. What does it mean? If these women move in to the neighborhood and the neighbor asks who they are, should they say "we are cousins"? Or, should they say they are roommates? What constitutes as not shoving their beliefs down others' throats? When a straight couple at work says "my wife and I are sending kids to their grandma's and having the house all to ourselves" -- what is that? Is that considered shoving their believes into others' throats? How is that different from a gay person saying, "we had our honeymoon in France?" Straight people get their panties in a wad and blame gays for saying simple things they do in life. They do not realize a Karen with her cubicle full of wedding and family photos is doing exactly that, every day, until she retires. But, no, it's evil f***ing gays that do all the shoving. Think about it for a second.
Holy crap dude, that was unnecessary.

I never said for OP and partner to lie about who they are; of course they should be upfront. All I'm getting at (and this applies to both ends of the political spectrum) are the types of people who run around yelling "my way of life is right and superior and you need to accept that!!" without being open to a mature dialogue for better understanding.

I agree that there is a large segment of straight people who get all up in arms over gay people minding their own business. You are completely off-base in putting me in that group.

Last edited by BrianGC; 09-04-2020 at 02:01 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-05-2020, 07:21 PM
 
Location: Raleigh NC
20,731 posts, read 10,943,769 times
Reputation: 12444
budget-dependent, you can find this in Chatham County. Stay east of Siler City (just from a property value standpoint, not the cultural aspect).

You can also buy in Orange County, primarily north of I/85 and Hillsborough. Either of these are approximately 4 hours to Asheville and approximately 2:45 to the beach.

In Orange County, expect to pay $200K - $300K for the land (10+ acres) - it depends on the utilities and amount cleared.

Chatham Co has slightly lower prices, but thy get higher the closer you get to Chapel Hill.


There are parcels available via the MLS, and I'm sure there are random signs along the roadways with no other advertising.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-12-2020, 01:16 PM
 
6,690 posts, read 2,907,194 times
Reputation: 9240
If you can afford it, I would say near Chapel Hill. Being a college town with one of the best Universities and hospitals in the nation I think you would find it fairly liberal and easy going. For that kind of land, you will have to be a few miles out and it will still be expensive but cost can be relative.


From this area you are about 3 hours drive from the coast and about the same from the mountains.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top