Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 04:15 PM

120 posts, read 549,344 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are strongly considering purchasing land (1 acre or less) to build an eco-friendly, non-traditional modern home ( shipping container home or metal pole barn style that basically looks like a modern metal/ wood home with a lot of windows)I know these type of builds have gained popularity over the past few years and I'm wondering where we would be allowed to build one in the triangle? I'm aware we need to look at building codes, but this is very new to us and I would love any knowledge on this topic, especially if you know of specific areas that would allow this, or how to find this information? The home would be around 2000 sq ft. We understand that a rural area might be best, but given some of the architecture we've seen popping up in Cary and Raleigh, we're wondering if these type of homes would be allowed?
Thank you for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2020, 04:53 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
We are strongly considering purchasing land (1 acre or less) to build ...
I'm aware we need to look at building codes, but...
Setting aside the questions of design ('unique' or 'eco' or otherwise) for a while...

How much do you expect to have invested in all the preparations required to begin building?
Do you know the $$ costs of raw land and prep (site clearing, utilities, well & septic, etc)?
The $$ cost of the professionals needed (surveyor, attorney, engineer, architect) ??

Old 09-03-2020, 07:13 AM

5,888 posts, read 6,955,799 times
You may get more responses by posting in the RDU forum
https://www.city-data.com/forum/rale...pel-hill-cary/

Old 09-03-2020, 07:14 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeelee View Post
Hi all! We are strongly considering purchasing land (1 acre or less) to build an eco-friendly, non-traditional modern home ( shipping container home or metal pole barn style that basically looks like a modern metal/ wood home with a lot of windows)I know these type of builds have gained popularity over the past few years and I'm wondering where we would be allowed to build one in the triangle? I'm aware we need to look at building codes, but this is very new to us and I would love any knowledge on this topic, especially if you know of specific areas that would allow this, or how to find this information? The home would be around 2000 sq ft. We understand that a rural area might be best, but given some of the architecture we've seen popping up in Cary and Raleigh, we're wondering if these type of homes would be allowed?
Thank you for your help!
I wouldn't think it would be a problem. I have seen at least one in Durham and a couple in Chapel Hill. In fact this builders website has pictures of container homes in Chapel Hill (not the ones I have seen).

BuildSense in Durham builds some really cool houses. This one is not a container house, but it's one of those built in the warehouse and site finished homes: https://mangumdesignbuild.com/commer...ntainer-homes/

It's really cool that you are thinking about this, but if you are doing this because you are an eco-conscious person, I'd like to remind you that "reusing and recycling" is more important than building a brand new house, however "eco-friendly and green" it is. If you find a small parcel of land in the city and build there - that's probably ideal, but buying a parcel of land out in the rural area and disturbing everything to build eco-friendly house -- now that's ironic.

I know a bunch of people are going be pissed at me and be like "someone will do it anyway" -- I do not care about someone else. I am just letting him/her know because they seem to be doing it because they want to be eco-friendly. There are lots of blogs and articles out there about the impact of new housing on things, starting with wildlife disturbance and ending with water conservancy, etc.

Old 09-03-2020, 08:42 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Setting aside the questions of design ('unique' or 'eco' or otherwise) for a while...

How much do you expect to have invested in all the preparations required to begin building?
Do you know the $$ costs of raw land and prep (site clearing, utilities, well & septic, etc)?
The $$ cost of the professionals needed (surveyor, attorney, engineer, architect) ??
why is this any of your business?

Old 09-04-2020, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
why is this any of your business?
The answers? To me... none at all.
But they'll sure matter to the OP as that sort of reality check is what makes the difference between success and
the sort of wild hair pipe dream so many seem to use as "planning" when they post up with their thin questions.

And that sort of understanding of their reality should matter to anyone else who will oh so earnestly respond to their thin question.
The far bigger issue: Too many are way too eager to assume that everyone, for whatever reason, and with whatever thin quals should relocate.
Rather few of them should. Most need the swift kick of a reality check to learn that.
I believe everyone involved is best off when they can learn that before packing up to move. To NC or anywhere else.

Last edited by MrRational; 09-04-2020 at 04:35 AM..

Old 09-04-2020, 07:22 AM

1,204 posts, read 778,349 times
Quote:
But they'll sure matter to the OP as that sort of reality check is what makes the difference between success and
the sort of wild hair pipe dream so many seem to use as "planning" when they post up with their thin questions.

And that sort of understanding of their reality should matter to anyone else who will oh so earnestly respond to their thin question.
The far bigger issue: Too many are way too eager to assume that everyone, for whatever reason, and with whatever thin quals should relocate.
Rather few of them should. Most need the swift kick of a reality check to learn that.
I believe everyone involved is best off when they can learn that before packing up to move. To NC or anywhere else.
I think s/he is local.

Old 09-04-2020, 08:33 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Quote:

None of which is your concern unless s/he comes to you asking for money. From their posting history they live in NC.

Old 09-04-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
None of which is your concern...
I'll stick.

Old 09-12-2020, 12:00 PM

8,383 posts, read 4,367,951 times
"The Triangle" is a large area encompassing Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill.

The surrounding area growing in all directions pushing toward Wake Forest, Oxford, Pittsboro, Garner, Knightdale, Zebulon and other small communities.

You will find every conceivable type of humanity in this region from high-rise condo living to backwoods country.

The further you get from city center, the less expensive land will be. You can find acreage off the beaten path so to speak with few restrictions. It should go without saying you can not shop in a million dollar home neighborhood and expect to build a home from containers. However, there are very rural areas that could very well meet your needs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina