Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2020, 01:15 PM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
I've always been curious as I don't remember North Carolina before professional sports came to town. Before the Panthers, Hornets, and Hurricanes came onto the scene, what professional teams did North Carolina root for? I know the Triangle pulled for the Redskins, but what about other sports?
The coast was always Redskins fans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2020, 01:23 PM

59,082 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Personally I pulled for the Steelers, Mavericks, and Penguins/Whalers.

The hell with the Redskins... never liked those bastids... hated that they were the default NFL team that they showed on TV. They still had a Redskin radio affiliate here in the Triad up until a few years ago.
"hated", what a miserable way to live ones life!

"They still had a Redskin radio affiliate here"

A smart radio salesman traveled the coast all the way to Fl when NO other teams were available, no cowboys, etc. or trh AFL either, which is why there were so many fans along the coast.TV didn't carry many games back then either.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:06 PM

241 posts, read 237,652 times
Grew up a Cowboys fans like most of my family and a lot of childhood friends. They are after all, America's Team

Old 09-18-2020, 04:15 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
I'm not a big sports person, so I'm probably the wrong person to get into much detail with, but I know the Atlanta Braves have always had a strong fan base here.

Old 09-18-2020, 04:59 PM

773 posts, read 646,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm not a big sports person, so I'm probably the wrong person to get into much detail with, but I know the Atlanta Braves have always had a strong fan base here.
"Always"? Depends on your definition of the word. Since the late 70's/early 80"s, yes. Before that, no.

Old 09-18-2020, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Oh please. Every true sports fan "hates" his team's rivals. You're over reacting to the extreme.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:44 PM

1,326 posts, read 724,924 times
Growing up in Raleigh, I'd have to say none. It was all college sports all the time. I don't recall the Redskins being a big thing even. I do recall a bit of interest in the Bulls but only because of Michael Jordan which goes back to intense interest in college sports.

Old 09-18-2020, 06:51 PM

"For many years, Washington games were the only ones the state's TV stations carried on autumn Sundays.

Way back in 1950, Redskins owner George Preston Marshall set out to make his club the South's pro team.

He created an Amoco TV network that beamed Washington games all over Dixie. Starting in 1955, the team trained for several weeks each summer in Winston-Salem and played an exhibition game in Bowman Gray Stadium against the Green Bay Packers.

It must be said, too, that Marshall appealed to the prejudices of some white Southerners.

He kept his team lily white until 1962 when Stewart Udall, then the secretary of the interior, told him to integrate or forget about playing in a new federally built stadium in Washington.

Marshall worked the civic club circuit in the Piedmont. He introduced himself as the ``Robert E. Lee of professional football' and called his team ``The Rebel Redskins.'

He also brought local high school bands, including Grimsley High of Greensboro, to Washington to play at half-time."

https://greensboro.com/tar-heels-sti...e57df35b2.html

Old 09-18-2020, 07:28 PM

597 posts, read 449,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

"They still had a Redskin radio affiliate here"

A smart radio salesman traveled the coast all the way to Fl when NO other teams were available, no cowboys, etc. or trh AFL either, which is why there were so many fans along the coast.TV didn't carry many games back then either.

Ok... hated was a very strong word for the Redskins... it was/is more like disgusted that they were on tv every sunday before the Panthers. Is that better?

I'll save my hate for that team/school residing in Chapel Hill with the effeminate blue and white. Those Bastards

Old 09-18-2020, 07:49 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
The 'Skins, err Football team, still have a radio affiliate in both Gastonia and New Bern as of 2018. Looks like they finally dropped Raleigh as a listening market, I know that was still a thing 5-10-ish years ago, probably happened before dropping Greensboro as someone else mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina