Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2020, 11:53 PM

10 posts, read 18,411 times

Advertisements

My in-laws have been expressing a desire to move to North Carolina to escape the northern winters. Neither of them drive (they were largely raised in NYC and haven't had a license in years). They both also have some physical issues (hip/heart) that make walking for prolonged periods of time difficult. They don't want to live in a "retirement home" apartment complex style building (although would be open to a 55+ community with stand alone houses). They are in their 60s, so don't need assisted living or anything like that. Does any one know of any good areas in North Carolina to retire-- that has good public transportation and access to stores and healthcare?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2020, 01:03 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtae220 View Post
My in-laws have been expressing a desire to move (South) to escape the northern winters.
Any of the larger cities (~250K+?) will have adequate transit coverage in town.
The farther out you go you the more you'll need/want to be to on/near a main arterial road.
Just like anywhere else in the world.

So... why North Carolina (vs any of a dozen or so choices)?
Where have most of their friends chosen for relocation?

Old 09-27-2020, 02:00 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
I would think that Miami or Atlanta would offer better public transportation choices for the NYC folks who do not drive.

Charlotte would probably be the best choice in North Carolina for them. Even then, they should plan to use dial-a-ride services and grocery delivery services to supplement the bus or light-rail. Furthermore, I believe they should consider living in an apartment along a bus route. Most of the 55+ communities with stand-alone houses are in very car-dependent locations.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:22 AM

773 posts, read 646,025 times
Only Charlotte would really meet their needs. No other NC city has robust enough public transit that one could rely on for all their needs, and even Charlotte is somewhat marginal in that regard.

Old 09-27-2020, 06:51 AM

I'd recommend the couple experiment with the carless life-style in North Carolina first before committing. Find an Air-BNB place for a month in the winter. Try to work out what the regular routine would be to do shopping and doctor visits, and see if they could really deal with it full-time.

During this time, locate some of the 55+ places and check them out. There are a couple of rental apartment complexes in Charlotte that look really attractive to me. One is the Overture Cotswold, which has lots of social clubs and activities. Info here: https://www.55places.com/north-carol...swold#overview It is about 5 blocks from two grocery stores (which also deliver), a pharmacy, coffee shop, yoga studio, etc. It is also on a bus line which is two stops from the apartments to the grocery store.

During the visit, they could also decide whether they could cope with a car and driving again if they find the detached house communities are attactive enough.

The other option, if their only goal to escape winter, is to rent a place in Florida or Myrtle Beach for 6-8 weeks of the worst of NY winters.

Last edited by goldenage1; 09-27-2020 at 08:18 AM..

Old 09-27-2020, 09:36 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,333,920 times
Chapel Hill is probably their best bet. We have a robust and completely free bus system that will pretty much take you anywhere you need to go in town. There are quite a few retirees here. There are new senior apartments being built on Estes Dr which would be very close to a bus stop. There are several very nice CCRCs if they want to go that route, but most of them have waiting lists. ADA qualified disabled folks can also call for EZRider bus service. It's not a cheap place to live, though, for NC if budget is a concern.

This may be helpful: https://www.orangecountync.gov/Docum...lder-Adultspdf

Old 09-27-2020, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Chapel Hill is probably their best bet.......There are new senior apartments being built on Estes Dr which would be very close to a bus stop.....
Helpful information. The Overture chain of senior rental apartment has or is building several in Raleigh, Cary and Chapel Hill. They are not assisted living places. Their rents start about $1500, and they ovver a range of services that one pays for separately. Their frontdesk will arrange for Lyft rides for a fee. The links is here: https://www.liveoverture.com/communi...orth-carolina/

I note the new place in Cary/Morrisville is within walking distance of a Wegman's, which would interest me. It is a terriffic grocery store. I am not sure if their Chapel Hill site is on the bus route.

BTW, the original poster said his in-laws were open to a detached home 55+ community. I am not sure lthat life-long city dwellers know how much work is involved with mowing lawns, cleaning leaves and gutters, etc. The OP may not be aware that most of the Del Webb, etc communities do not provide lawn and landscape service with their SFH's. They do provide lawn service where there are attached townhouse condominiums. With the TH condos, there is an extra fee, so they would pay about $400/month in HOA and condo fees.

Old 09-27-2020, 01:13 PM

10 posts, read 18,411 times
Hi all, thanks for the responses. The in-laws have actually lived in Connecticut (in a city with public transportation) for the last decade, so they are used to smaller towns-- they just never bothered to get their licenses despite moving to CT. I am not sure why they chose North Carolina specifically, but I imagine that it is because they have a few friends there and also because it is closer to CT than other southern states. I do know that they specifically are against FL.

I am guessing they would be fine with an apartment, but they have 3 small dogs so it would have to be able to accommodate that. I think that was the main factor in wanting to buy.

Old 09-27-2020, 02:57 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,729,092 times
I recommend they bite the bullet and at least one get their driver’s license. Their options will increase exponentially.

Old 09-27-2020, 04:13 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtae220 View Post

...and also because it is closer to CT than other southern states.
Meh. Be close to a direct flight airport and it doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina