Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2020, 07:20 AM

5,451 posts, read 6,033,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
I dunno, maybe: We are all human and capable of making a stupid mistake ?

He'd still get my vote if I was a NC voter.

Regards
Gemstone1
Bigger picture, maybe.
Higher standard for public office, maybe.

Not saying he won't get my vote, but really shows the depth of the candidate pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2020, 08:57 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Bigger picture, maybe.
Higher standard for public office, maybe.

Not saying he won't get my vote, but really shows the depth of the candidate pool.
I agree. In different circumstance, I would take it far more seriously because integrity is very important for me. Tillis wasn't an option AT ALL. And, literally there are tons of other issues I care more about such as environment, health care, etc. that Cunningham also cares for and is running to make these issues his top priority.

I read his texts. For a second I was confused, because I thought those were sent to his wife. They are vanilla AF - like "I miss waking up next to you" stuff. I am not downplaying this. What he did was wrong, he cheated and that's a character problem. But, also, I don't know if his wife and him are in open relationship or if they have a "deal". Even if they do, this will never come out and it will always be "he cheated" scenario. So anyway, considering our current president has said about women, and the fact he has done things far worse than this, I think the bar is so low that people will not consider this to be such a huge issue. I think that's precisely why this hasn't turned into a HUGE scandal. I am pretty sure if our president was Jimmy Carter type of an idealist, we'd be in a different place with Cal's behavior.

One more thing, personally, I stopped donating to Cal's campaign as soon as this came out. Those $30 I have been giving every month to Cal went to some other Dem. It's not a big amount of course, but I am pretty sure there were lots of people like me, who came to terms with it and said "yeah I will vote for ya, but I am not giving **** to your campaign".

Old 10-12-2020, 04:42 PM

2,216 posts, read 2,936,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Perhaps it says some of us are able to recognize that a making mistake in one's personal life doesn't necessarily mean one isn't capable of being a successful elected official.
It's one thing to make a mistake but it's another to try to hide it and then when you are finally exposed to just brush it aside and act like you are God's gift to the voter pool and don't need to be transparent with them....especially when you are trying to gain their support.

I now have no faith in Cunningham as it appears he is just 100% self serving (I guess they all are).

Old 10-13-2020, 06:10 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Cal Cunningham up 49%-39% over Tillis in new SurveyUSA poll. He's *improved* since the texting scandal -- he was up 7% in the last poll.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Wish Cal hadn't done that, but I'll sure be voting for him and against Thom Thillis. Straight D all the way. If I still could I'd check that box at the top of the ticket.

Old 10-13-2020, 09:09 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
You may want to reconsider that statement given now that Harrison has just raised $57 million in the third quarter of this year, setting a new record in a U.S. Senate race. Meanwhile, Graham is struggling to keep up in advertising purchases. As this article from Politico notes, "Between now and Election Day, Harrison has more than $16 million reserved, while Graham has $4.8 million."

Also from the same article: "Public and private polling has shown the race to be extremely competitive. A poll from Quinnipiac University late last month showed the race tied at 48 percent. An internal poll from the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee, conducted around the same time, showed Harrison narrowly ahead, 48 percent to 47 percent."

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...na-race-428541

This poll has Graham now ahead.

https://www.wbtv.com/2020/10/13/new-...v468FsUyPJ3fvM

Old 10-13-2020, 09:14 AM

1,204 posts, read 776,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
Cal Cunningham up 49%-39% over Tillis in new SurveyUSA poll. He's *improved* since the texting scandal -- he was up 7% in the last poll.
I listened to 538 podcast yesterday, there was a question from someone from NC asking what would polls say now that Cal did this... Nate Silver was pretty much "nothing" -- the nation is so polarized that this isn't going to be an issue. He guessed that worse case scenario polls would go back to the same level as they were before the sexting scandal came out -- even then Cal was ahead of Thom Thillis. Not sure how SurveyUSA is rated in terms of bias, methods, number of respondents, but this seems like good news for Cal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Wish Cal hadn't done that, but I'll sure be voting for him and against Thom Thillis. Straight D all the way. Wish we could still check that box at the top of the ticket.
I think all of us feel the same. It's like "f-ing a, Cal, don't you see what's at stake here?" At least he didn't send any dick pics.

Old 10-13-2020, 11:48 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Yeah, he didn't do an Anthony Weiner.

Old 10-13-2020, 12:40 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
and Thom Tillis and Donald Trump are on wife #3. So much for "faithful husbands".

Old 10-13-2020, 02:30 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
NORTH CAROLINA Has Governor Roy Cooper done a good job or bad job handling the coronavirus outbreak? Good job 63% Bad job 31% (Monmouth U. Poll, RV, 10/8-11/20)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina