U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2006, 11:25 AM

8 posts, read 19,921 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are currently living in Minnesota. I grew up on the panhandle of Florida and he is from Minot, ND- woo hoo. We are 22 and wanting to make roots. My father was in the military so i moved around a lot but nothing compared to the south. I love the whole idea of living in the south and starting a family there. We want our kids to have the accent and say "turd" and "yall". Florida is out because it is way to humid and muggy and my husband owns a landscaping company and needs to have weather that he can work HARD in, not to mention he wants to work in the dirt and not the sand. We want to move to Tennessee or North Carolina. We have heard wonderful things about both states. At this stage, we believe we have narrowed the search down to Eastern TN or Western NC. Here's what we are looking for. If you could sway us in a direction, we'd really appreciate it.

We want to live in a place where we walk out the door and see Beautiful. We are very active and love the outdoors and nature. We want some land, eventually. We love the mountians and if we can't be in the smack dab middle of them, we'd like to be able to see them in the horizon. We want a safe community with some character with lots of southern hospitality (if that still exists). We would like to live near a bigger town or city (population of50,000- 400,000) that has lots going on for ample business opportunities, shopping, restaurants, good ecomics, and to play in. To start out, we would probably need to rent first to get a handle on things and decide where we want to build and grow, so actually starting out in the bigger city is an open possibilty. We want the four seasons. If we had to have a shorter season out of the four, it'd be winter. We aren't too picky about this though, especially since we love the mountains. It would be awesome if my husband could landscape most of the year. We don't want it too humid where it is not fun to be outdoors. We don't want a ton of rain, but Want a ton of sunshine. We would love to be within an hour of some bodies of water. We want to be able to make good money and still have a low cost of living. I am a cosmetologist and a love helping people, especially those with physical and mental disabilities. So Im hoping there will be jobs for me.

Wow, okay, I'm done. If you could help up us with some ideas about where to move to, and any job suggestions, please... we are all ears.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 01:06 PM

1,261 posts, read 4,100,256 times
The first cities that come to mind for me are Weaverville, NC and Waynesville, NC. You could also look into small towns near Knoxville, TN.

I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the area will respond to you soon.

All the best!

Old 12-28-2006, 01:17 PM

567 posts, read 2,044,738 times
Default Blue Ridge Mountains...

What about Roanoke, VA?

It's a beautiful area and definitely has the mountains you are looking for. There are plenty of trails to hike on as the Appalacian Trail runs through here.

I think there would be ample job opportunities here. It's worth looking into.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:41 PM

101 posts, read 302,443 times
Why would you want them to say "yall". What about speaking sophisticated like someone with some sense?

Old 12-28-2006, 07:56 PM

56 posts, read 216,270 times
Hi, I'm a Mn transplant here in the carolinas. I am on my way to Virginia in another month. I'm concerned when you say your husband and you don't want the humidity. NC is hot and rainy, and that gives you humidity. I saw that one person suggested Roanoke, Va. Climate wise, that would be a better choice for you. A little bit less humid and not quite as hot. And you have the mountains right there. But you want to think about your move...wanting your children to say turd and yall, and have cute southern accents,isn't a reason to move. Can you embrace where ever you go? Love the area just as much, if it doesn't fit your idea of the south. Will you be able to leace your families behind? I use a website called bestplaces.com that tells me a lot about different cities. You can find out which cities are in the population #'s that you want. The cost of living,housing,crime statistic,etc are all there. Figure out a couple places that look good,then start asking questions.Everyone here has a wealth of information to share... You might also look into whether or not your cosmetology license will be valid in this state. Some states require more hours in training than other states. A move could mean more schooling.. I wish you the best of luck searching.

Old 12-28-2006, 08:16 PM

Well thanks for the informtaion. As for the "turd" and "yall" comments, it was meant to be cute. Lighten up! Obviously that is not my motive for wanting to move. I feel like I am having to defend my post instead of finding the wealth of information. My husband and I have no family, they were killed in tragic accidents. I love the south for many more reasons that I listed and didn't just decide on a whim to move. As for cosmetology, that was the first thing I checked in on and I actually have more schooling than needed. Thank you for your time and for the website.

Last edited by baileybabe; 12-28-2006 at 09:00 PM..

Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM

5 posts, read 15,580 times
I don't think TN or NC has a single place that does not have high humidity at some time or the other. It is simply a fact of life in these areas ( and the south). However the body does adjust and you can work outside. I have done it, so I relate to your husbands needs.

The city I highly suggest you consider and research is Ashville NC for what you have described. I would suggest living outside of it, but having it near by for pleasure and possibly work. You will find it very cultured and nice.

Good luck and let us know what you do!

Peace
Taylor

Old 12-28-2006, 09:10 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,680,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rheaburris View Post
But you want to think about your move...wanting your children to say turd and yall, and have cute southern accents,isn't a reason to move.
I'm sitting here gawking at the fact that t.u.r.d made it past the filter on this board

Old 12-28-2006, 09:11 PM

Default thanks

well thanks. I have heard many wonderful things about Asheville. That is the very first recommendation that we had, before we were even thinking about moving. You are right, Humidity comes along with the territory. We heard that it was less humid in western NC than it is in Ft. Walton Beach, FL. We have not been to to NC in years. Please correct me if I had assumed wrong! I have spent some time in Nashville, do you know how Asheville and Nashville compare? (humidity wise) Thanks so much for your time!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:45 AM

5 posts, read 15,580 times
I have been to both and I would pick Ashville myself over Nashville. But then I really think Nashville is an amazing city as well. I like Ashville better for it's location and appearance, and humidity wise I would say Ashville is the better place to live. Close call to be honest. Air quality would have to go to Ashville however. If that helps any?

Taylor
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>