Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2020, 01:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,366 times

Advertisements

HI! I'm a floridian dying to get out of here after 61 years. Me and boyfriend and dog.

Daughter lives in Charlotte.

Looking for a small town, 1 hour from the coast and 1 hour from mountains.

Maybe 30 min from a large city and airport. Looking to buy small 3/2 small lot.

any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2020, 01:12 PM

2,412 posts, read 2,698,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arlenefrancisco View Post
HI! I'm a floridian dying to get out of here after 61 years. Me and boyfriend and dog.

any suggestions?
Sorry, the Carolinas are not Southern California or the Pacific Northwest. I can't think of any area that is 1 hour from the beach and 1 hour from the mountains. You'll have to pick which you'd rather be closer to. Do you have a lean towards beach or mountain?

Old 10-06-2020, 01:12 PM

8,495 posts, read 8,787,669 times
NC mountains to NC coast is at least 5.5 hours.

How small is the right small town for you? 5,000 people, less, more?

Davidson is 13k.

Old 10-06-2020, 02:59 PM

335 posts, read 428,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
Sorry, the Carolinas are not Southern California or the Pacific Northwest. I can't think of any area that is 1 hour from the beach and 1 hour from the mountains. You'll have to pick which you'd rather be closer to. Do you have a lean towards beach or mountain?
As others said...realistically there’s nowhere in NC that close to both the mountains and the beach...but the Charlotte area is a good compromise, as it’s about two hours to the mountains and three hours to the beach.
I’d recommend Mount Holly or Belmont, as they’re close to the airport, easy to Charlotte proper, both have a cool small downtown with some local spots, and are more affordable than Charlotte.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:49 PM

773 posts, read 646,161 times
Quote:

any suggestions?
Doesn't exist in NC, sorry.

Old 10-06-2020, 04:58 PM

425 posts, read 418,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyRocksNC View Post
I’d recommend Mount Holly or Belmont
I have some doubts about that. Mount Holly and Belmont are becoming sought-out satellite towns for people who decide to stay out of Mecklenburg county. Prices can be higher than much of Charlotte proper.

The OP sounds retired, and I would think she could look a bit farther out. Especially if she compromises a bit, and is willing to live an hour from a major airport.

So much of the advice in this thread will be subjective. What does the OP consider a small town? Would Concord, or Rock Hill not be excessive? These are large enough to have a variety of services and convenience without being in the thick of Charlotte.

And I would not rule out Greensboro. It's a true city in size, but not as intimidating to learn to drive in as Charlotte would be. The airport is #3 in the state but big enough to have connections on major airlines.

Last edited by SGMI; 10-06-2020 at 05:29 PM..

Old 10-06-2020, 06:28 PM

773 posts, read 646,161 times
Quote:

any suggestions?
Define "small town". Define "large city". What level of service are you looking for in the airport? You posted this on the Charlotte Forum...do you want to be somewhere near Charlotte? How much are you looking to spend for a house? Are jobs an issue?

Old 10-07-2020, 05:19 AM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,682 times
Apex, Garner, and Holly Springs are nice. And you will have easy access to I-40 to go to either the beach (east) and Charlotte and the mountains (west). They won't be one hour drives, but can be nice day or weekend trips.

Old 10-07-2020, 07:05 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
If you're moving to be closer to your daughter in Charlotte, maybe ask her where she thinks you'd like? And maybe look at a map?

Old 10-07-2020, 11:54 AM

3,083 posts, read 4,857,540 times
Just move to small town near Charlotte. How about Mint Hill. But you will be a few hours to the coast and mountains, that's just the geography.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina