U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 09:02 AM

274 posts, read 299,182 times

Advertisements

It has been a while since I have sold a car privately.
I was wondering if a notary has to be be present when both I and the buyer sign the title, or if it only needs to be notarized when I sign it?

I have some pretty serious health issues and really not wanting to wait in line at the DMV to have it notarized with the seller with everything with Covid.

The title doesn't say anything specific on it, and I thought I remember in the past being able to just give a buyer a signed/notarized title.

Thanks for the help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 03:52 PM

775 posts, read 350,369 times
Only the sellers signature is notarized, but some notaries balk at notarizing the title if the buyers information is blank.

Its very important to fill in names and sign with full names as listed on the title and drivers license. Failure to do so will void the title. Must sign as "John Jones Smith", not "John J. Smith" for example.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:38 AM

274 posts, read 299,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Only the sellers signature is notarized, but some notaries balk at notarizing the title if the buyers information is blank.

Its very important to fill in names and sign with full names as listed on the title and drivers license. Failure to do so will void the title. Must sign as "John Jones Smith", not "John J. Smith" for example.
Thank you! It's really hard to find that info. So the DMV officially does not require both to be notarized? A buyer can go into the DMV with a title signed/notarized by me (the owner) and have everything work out smoothly with the transfer?

Just want to make sure.

Thanks again

Old 12-23-2020, 04:35 PM

19,916 posts, read 29,729,051 times
https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-regi...-transfer.aspx

Vague but seems to indiicate both signatures have to be notarized, however the DMV can notarize the buyer's signature. As pp said, you'll have to find a notary who won't mind notarizing just one signature (which shouldn't actually present a problem).

As noted the title must be signed by you EXACTLY as your name appears on the front.

Old 12-23-2020, 05:41 PM

775 posts, read 350,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post

Vague but seems to indiicate both signatures have to be notarized, however the DMV can notarize the buyer's signature. As pp said, you'll have to find a notary who won't mind notarizing just one signature (which shouldn't actually present a problem).

As noted the title must be signed by you EXACTLY as your name appears on the front.
Buyer's signature does not require notarization.

Old 01-07-2021, 08:22 PM

21 posts, read 10,706 times
Does it have to be a NC Notary or can I use a notary from a different state?

Last edited by scar1919; 01-07-2021 at 08:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina