Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2020, 11:17 AM

25 posts, read 33,152 times

Advertisements

We are looking to possibly move to NC from South Florida. We are sick of the heat.

Our price range for a home is $400k - 600k. We are looking for a home with land 2+ acres that is near (20 min drive) good shopping (Costco, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods etc) and restaurants. We love to hike and spend time outside.

We are in our late 40's and have no kids. We are semi retired so job's aren't important. I love the car scene and any manner of remote control gadgets. We also love to boat, jetski and 4wd.

What towns would you recommend we start looking at? We are traveling in a Motorcoach and are excited to start seeing the areas. We are also looking at North Georgia, SC and TN so I cross posted this.

Thanks for any help you can offer up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2020, 11:45 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,330,713 times
Charlotte area sounds like the best fit. You've got racing and boating there. Your price range is not that high, though, for that amount of land. I'm sure you can find something, but when I read your title I thought you were looking for multi-million dollar properties, which you definitely can find around Lake Norman. I don't know if you can get lake front for $400K.

Old 12-15-2020, 11:46 AM

773 posts, read 645,715 times
When you say you're sick of the heat, does that mean you want to be in a place in NC that is appreciable cooler? If so, then you're going to be restricted to places above 3,000 feet in elevation (and really 4,000). The flip side of cooler in the summer is colder in the winter.

There isn't a Costco in western NC. There is a Trader Joe's in Asheville. Not sure you get get to 3-4,000 feet elevation within 20 minutes of it, so you may have to give a little on your list.

I'd say the Asheville area is your best best, specifically Waynesville. It has some tall mountains around it. Its a nice small town about 45 minutes from Asheville. Lots of great hiking in that area.

Old 12-15-2020, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Charlotte area sounds like the best fit. You've got racing and boating there. Your price range is not that high, though, for that amount of land. I'm sure you can find something, but when I read your title I thought you were looking for multi-million dollar properties, which you definitely can find around Lake Norman. I don't know if you can get lake front for $400K.

I could go to 700k and I don't need waterfront. I would prefer out of the way with privacy and land.

Are there places like that north of Charlotte in good towns? Thanks!

Old 12-15-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
When you say you're sick of the heat, does that mean you want to be in a place in NC that is appreciable cooler? If so, then you're going to be restricted to places above 3,000 feet in elevation (and really 4,000). The flip side of cooler in the summer is colder in the winter.

There isn't a Costco in western NC. There is a Trader Joe's in Asheville. Not sure you get get to 3-4,000 feet elevation within 20 minutes of it, so you may have to give a little on your list.

I'd say the Asheville area is your best best, specifically Waynesville. It has some tall mountains around it. Its a nice small town about 45 minutes from Asheville. Lots of great hiking in that area.

Thanks for the info. We will not be in the area during the summer months. It's basically the hot winters we are sick of in Florida.

Thanks for the suggestion of Waynesville. I'll check it out!

Old 12-15-2020, 02:07 PM

773 posts, read 645,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harbortime View Post
I could go to 700k and I don't need waterfront. I would prefer out of the way with privacy and land.

Are there places like that north of Charlotte in good towns? Thanks!
Davidson and Huntersville areas.

Old 12-15-2020, 05:24 PM

3,305 posts, read 8,558,628 times
A $400-$600k house in a decent suburb of Raleigh (Cary, Apex, etc.) is going to be on a small/smaller lot. If you want some land maybe 45-60 minutes from Raleigh/Durham you're still going to pay a pretty penny for a decent house. You can get some small, dated/older houses on 2-3 acres within 45 minutes of a Costco, Trader Joes, etc. for under $600k, but I can't think of anything in the Raleigh Area within 20 minutes of what you're describing. You might be able to find some properties with decent houses for around $600k in far eastern Wake county/western Johnson County that meet your needs, but you'll be at the very least (non traffic hours) 45 minutes from Costco and decent shopping.

If you're into boating, Chatham County (south of Durham and west of Raleigh) would be a place you could look into. You could find something in your price range that would be within 45 minutes of Durham and western suburbs of Raleigh that would fit your needs and Jordan Lake would be close by. Somewhere around Pittsboro, but on the western side where it might be more affordable for what you're looking for.

Old 12-16-2020, 12:26 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,604,466 times
I would also include Northwest Guilford County (Summerfield, Oak Ridge, northwest of Greensboro) on the list, along with western Forsyth County (Lewisville) and northeast Davie County (Advance area).

I suggest these because you were asking for upscale and they are the Triad's more upscale rural areas. There are still some very nice liveable rural areas in the Triad that I would not hesitate to live in, but these are the most "upscale" in my opinion. Plus, they put you roughly 20 minutes from most, if not all, of the amenities you are asking for which would be focused in Greensboro and Winston-Salem.

Greensboro has Costco on the southwest side of the city, Trader Joe's on the northwest side of the city and Whole Foods on the west side about 2 miles from the central business district. Winston-Salem has its Costco on the Southwest side of the city and Trader Joe's and Whole Foods are almost in walking distance to each other about 2 miles west of the central business district. No matter where you end up (the Triad or elsewhere) it wouldn't be a bad idea to spend some time on Google maps and streetview to get a rough idea of where these things are in relation to the areas mentioned before you see them in person.

As far as being cooler, they aren't as cool as the high mountains would be, but they're definitely cooler than Florida and a small tad cooler than rural areas outside Charlotte that have been suggested.

Just to give you a few examples of what that looks like:

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...8_M59158-54229

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...3_M62128-15122

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M52620-10091

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M52198-94349

Last edited by Jowel; 12-16-2020 at 12:37 PM..

Old 12-16-2020, 05:10 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,406,988 times
Between Morganton and Hickory along the Catawba River. No Whole foods or Trader Joe's, but Hickory Costco, and tons of Restaurants.

Old 12-17-2020, 02:15 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,573,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Between Morganton and Hickory along the Catawba River. No Whole foods or Trader Joe's, but Hickory Costco, and tons of Restaurants.
They is no Costco in Hickory. Maybe you're thinking of Sam's Club.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina