U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2021, 10:34 PM

713 posts, read 403,416 times

Advertisements

https://www.wral.com/want-to-keep-yo...line/19453566/

"Starting Friday, any regular license plate that is seven years old or older will be replaced when the vehicle's annual registration is renewed."

"Also starting in 2022, North Carolina plates will be digitally printed on flat metal rather than stamped into it."

Not sure about anyone else, but I don't really see many faded North Carolina license plates. I think people buy cars (without transferring plates) frequently enough that this rule won't really have much real world effect.

Really bummed to see that we'll be moving to printed plates from the current imprinted ones though. Printed plates look really cheap, and I can't imagine they are as fade-resistant as imprinted ones. If I recall correctly, we went through a brief phase of printed plates 10+ years ago, and then quickly went back to imprinting everything because the printed ones looked so ****ty.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:33 AM

159 posts, read 70,757 times
I've got a plate issued to me in late 2000 when I bought the car. You can't even read "North Carolina" on the bottom of it anymore. I'd wondered if I'd get pulled over at some point about this, or when the state would decide on it's own that it was time for a fresh plate.

20 years of tags were accumulating into a lump of them, and so I started scraping some of the old ones off. In the 1970s, you got a fresh plate yearly, instead of tags.

Last edited by SGMI; 01-02-2021 at 08:43 AM..

Old 01-03-2021, 10:31 PM

3,081 posts, read 2,796,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
https://www.wral.com/want-to-keep-yo...line/19453566/

"Starting Friday, any regular license plate that is seven years old or older will be replaced when the vehicle's annual registration is renewed."

"Also starting in 2022, North Carolina plates will be digitally printed on flat metal rather than stamped into it."

Not sure about anyone else, but I don't really see many faded North Carolina license plates. I think people buy cars (without transferring plates) frequently enough that this rule won't really have much real world effect.

Really bummed to see that we'll be moving to printed plates from the current imprinted ones though. Printed plates look really cheap, and I can't imagine they are as fade-resistant as imprinted ones. If I recall correctly, we went through a brief phase of printed plates 10+ years ago, and then quickly went back to imprinting everything because the printed ones looked so ****ty.
I really wish they'd continue stamping, and it makes it harder to change the digits with tape or something if criminals were on the run. Flat ones are easy to alter the letters or numbers.

You should start a petition on one of the websites and get people to sign their oppostiion.

This is worth fighting for.

COVID budget problems shouldn't be prompting permanent changes like this.

PLEASE FIGHT THIS CHANGE!

Old 01-04-2021, 12:39 PM

668 posts, read 235,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
I really wish they'd continue stamping, and it makes it harder to change the digits with tape or something if criminals were on the run. Flat ones are easy to alter the letters or numbers.

You should start a petition on one of the websites and get people to sign their oppostiion.

This is worth fighting for.

COVID budget problems shouldn't be prompting permanent changes like this.

PLEASE FIGHT THIS CHANGE!
Yah, like with all the tracking technology and CCTVs, we are now worried about a bunch of dumbass criminals who'll put a tape over a stolen car's license plate. That's like number one reason these criminals aren't getting caught - they changed the digits with a duct tape.

You can't fight every single change. Especially not knowing why this is being done. Is it cheaper to make? Environmentally friendlier? Will it decrease the amount of time we deal with DMVs? Can we do everything over our phones? Can we please stop dealing with those reg stickers? Will it have a QR-code type of technology for cops/toll roads to scan? What is the advantage of it?

Old 01-04-2021, 04:02 PM

609 posts, read 2,438,163 times
Believe OP is referring to the switch from blue to red characters on the plates. Supposedly that was to help law enforcement read plates more easily, but SHP and others said they'd never made any such claims or requests. Likely the result of a bored legislator.

Guess I'll be receiving a new plate this year, but at least it's before they transition to printed. I think it was Pennsylvania that went to this a few years ago (or at least partially printed), and they've since switched back to entirely stamped because the printed ones faded so much.

Not sure if it was posted here or elsewhere, but you cannot keep your current plate number if you renew online. You will have to renew my mail or at an office to keep your existing number. This is apparently an intentional deterrent as it costs more to reproduce an existing plate than to issue the next plate in the stack.

Old 01-04-2021, 07:24 PM

9,137 posts, read 13,687,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy_wilhelm View Post
Believe OP is referring to the switch from blue to red characters on the plates. Supposedly that was to help law enforcement read plates more easily, but SHP and others said they'd never made any such claims or requests. Likely the result of a bored legislator.

Guess I'll be receiving a new plate this year, but at least it's before they transition to printed. I think it was Pennsylvania that went to this a few years ago (or at least partially printed), and they've since switched back to entirely stamped because the printed ones faded so much.

Not sure if it was posted here or elsewhere, but you cannot keep your current plate number if you renew online. You will have to renew my mail or at an office to keep your existing number. This is apparently an intentional deterrent as it costs more to reproduce an existing plate than to issue the next plate in the stack.
Must have been another state. Wasn't Pennsylvania. They never went to flat plates.

Old 01-04-2021, 08:33 PM

609 posts, read 2,438,163 times
Guess they weren't flat, but remember seeing the faded blue style below where Pennsylvania was nearly blended in with the white background on a lot of plates. Think it's a solid dark blue now. Looking now, I guess North Carolina is printed on ours too. Shows you how much I pay attention.

Old 01-05-2021, 06:35 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,506,422 times
Quote:
They started switching colors right before we left NC. I'm glad I never had the red one. The cops did a favor by asking the General Assembly to switch it back.

I guess I back the blue?

Old 01-05-2021, 06:44 AM

3,144 posts, read 3,452,879 times
Quote:
Guess they weren't flat, but remember seeing the faded blue style below where Pennsylvania was nearly blended in with the white background on a lot of plates. Think it's a solid dark blue now. Looking now, I guess North Carolina is printed on ours too. Shows you how much I pay attention.
I really don't like the printed digits like that. Looks cheap or fake or something. I feel like I've seen some kind of NC plate that is printed instead of stamped but I can't remember which one..

Yeah, the solid is what I see more often for PA. I never was a fan of the fade, so I'm glad that wasn't permanent.

New Jersey recently switched to printed plates as well...never been a fan when I see them. They also updated the digit format a bit...used to be AAA-00A but now looks like A00-AAA

Old 01-05-2021, 11:18 AM

713 posts, read 403,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I really don't like the printed digits like that. Looks cheap or fake or something. I feel like I've seen some kind of NC plate that is printed instead of stamped but I can't remember which one..
I occasionally see printed NC plates, and I honestly can't tell if they're genuine or not. They look they could be legitimate, and they also look like they could be fake. I've always thought of NC's plates as among the best in the southeast due to the design and imprinting (AL, GA, SC, and TN all print their plates), but that's going to change once they start printing everything...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina