Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 08:17 AM

17 posts, read 35,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJfromVA View Post
When my son moved from NOVA to NC, his car was assessed $2000 more than in Va also. Plus he got spoiled by tax relief that's available in Va. NC doesn't have that.
Same thing happened to us for our two cars when we moved from NOVA down here to NC (see the numbers in original post on this thread). In NC I believe each county does their own assessments. My guess is that they all do it the same it way and assess vehicles the same way (retail value vs. trade-in or sell it your the self value like Va. does).

My understanding is that one can appeal the assessment (at least in the county I am in). I forget the details, but I looked into this two years ago and decided the "hassle" just wasn't worth it. I would have been able to get a value deduction on the one old car (a TMU vehicle) by a few thousand in value at best (translating to savings $20 or $30 if I remember correctly), plus I think I was told I would to go through the process every year (this comment needs a fact check and may vary by county).

Off topic, but about the only thing I am finding cheaper in NC than NOVA is the cost of a house or apt rental/purchase and that may not be much difference if one is in higher cost area (e.g. Raliegh or Charlotte) than I am in. Every other of my yearly line budgets (e.g. insurance, medical, groceries, utilities, state and various state and local taxes....) are either the same or higher. I have been spreadsheet tracking them for almost 10 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2021, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsail View Post

I'll provide an update later on in the week.

Update as promised.

NC Metal Tag received 1/7/2021 from Va. dealer (sent overnight FedEx on 1/6) along with some NCDMV paperwork (Registration Card, Receipt of ~$1K total fees Paid (Tags, Title, and 3% HUT (Sales Tax?)). So about 35 calendar days total from the time Va, Dealer received all the paperwork they needed from me to do/send whatever to the NC for the NCDMV to do whatever it is they do. NCDMV sent tags to dealer, dealer send them to me....doesn't seem very efficient). However I saw a date on the NCDMV paperwork of 1/5/2021, so maybe the Va. Dealer dropped ball the ball on this and did a last minute scramble on everything....who knows.

Side notes of interest that may be useful for others in NC purchasing a car out of state. The NC metal tag came with a sticker that expires 3/31/2021 (vs 12 months)with a big "T" on it. A NCDMV generated registration was a "Limited Vehicle Registration" card matching the 03/31/2021 date and looks exactly like the NC Registration Cards I have now. Also provided was the NCDMV generated paperwork also included a section showing the ~$220 County and City taxes due before 3/31 in order I to get my 1 year sticker and registration card. Looks like I can do that online (or trust USPS). No additional fees for tax, title, or registration are listed as due. All fine, because the county/city personal property taxes were not included in my itemized "bill of sale" with dealer.

No word on getting a Title (temporary or permanent). I called (and emailed) Va. dealer yesterday and left message. Thanked them for the getting the registration processed, asked if they could contact me regarding the Title process and status. Have not heard back. I will assume this will take a few more weeks because I remember when we transferred our 2 cars from Va. to NC a few years ago in person at the NC tag and title place, we got out tags and registration immediately, and the permanent titles were received in the mail about two weeks later (although we did get some flimsy piece of paper of convenience store receipt paper quality that I think we were were told a was a temporary title/proof of ownership).

Someone asked about NC State inspection. I am 99.9% sure I do not need to get one this year. (We didn't have to get NC inspections when we re-titled and registered our Va. vehilcles then 7 and 14 year old vehicles down here in NC 2 years ago until the following year). Nothing on the paperwork I received indicates I need to get a NC Inspection. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months.

Old 01-08-2021, 10:49 AM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times
Quote:

Update as promised.

NC Metal Tag received 1/7/2021 from Va. dealer (sent overnight FedEx on 1/6) along with some NCDMV paperwork (Registration Card, Receipt of ~$1K total fees Paid (Tags, Title, and 3% HUT (Sales Tax?)). So about 35 calendar days total from the time Va, Dealer received all the paperwork they needed from me to do/send whatever to the NC for the NCDMV to do whatever it is they do. NCDMV sent tags to dealer, dealer send them to me....doesn't seem very efficient). However I saw a date on the NCDMV paperwork of 1/5/2021, so maybe the Va. Dealer dropped ball the ball on this and did a last minute scramble on everything....who knows.

Side notes of interest that may be useful for others in NC purchasing a car out of state. The NC metal tag came with a sticker that expires 3/31/2021 (vs 12 months)with a big "T" on it. A NCDMV generated registration was a "Limited Vehicle Registration" card matching the 03/31/2021 date and looks exactly like the NC Registration Cards I have now. Also provided was the NCDMV generated paperwork also included a section showing the ~$220 County and City taxes due before 3/31 in order I to get my 1 year sticker and registration card. Looks like I can do that online (or trust USPS). No additional fees for tax, title, or registration are listed as due. All fine, because the county/city personal property taxes were not included in my itemized "bill of sale" with dealer.

No word on getting a Title (temporary or permanent). I called (and emailed) Va. dealer yesterday and left message. Thanked them for the getting the registration processed, asked if they could contact me regarding the Title process and status. Have not heard back. I will assume this will take a few more weeks because I remember when we transferred our 2 cars from Va. to NC a few years ago in person at the NC tag and title place, we got out tags and registration immediately, and the permanent titles were received in the mail about two weeks later (although we did get some flimsy piece of paper of convenience store receipt paper quality that I think we were were told a was a temporary title/proof of ownership).

Someone asked about NC State inspection. I am 99.9% sure I do not need to get one this year. (We didn't have to get NC inspections when we re-titled and registered our Va. vehilcles then 7 and 14 year old vehicles down here in NC 2 years ago until the following year). Nothing on the paperwork I received indicates I need to get a NC Inspection. I guess I'll find out in a couple of months.
thanks for the follow up, so often posters forget to do it.

Seems like I remember getting the "T" sticker and going online, paying an extra three dollars for the privilege, and getting my dated sticker mailed out in 6 to 10 days.

FYI, my renewal registration that was completed Dec 18 has still not arrived.

Old 01-11-2021, 05:40 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,939,394 times
Quote:
Same thing happened to us for our two cars when we moved from NOVA down here to NC (see the numbers in original post on this thread). In NC I believe each county does their own assessments. My guess is that they all do it the same it way and assess vehicles the same way (retail value vs. trade-in or sell it your the self value like Va. does).

My understanding is that one can appeal the assessment (at least in the county I am in). I forget the details, but I looked into this two years ago and decided the "hassle" just wasn't worth it. I would have been able to get a value deduction on the one old car (a TMU vehicle) by a few thousand in value at best (translating to savings $20 or $30 if I remember correctly), plus I think I was told I would to go through the process every year (this comment needs a fact check and may vary by county).

Off topic, but about the only thing I am finding cheaper in NC than NOVA is the cost of a house or apt rental/purchase and that may not be much difference if one is in higher cost area (e.g. Raliegh or Charlotte) than I am in. Every other of my yearly line budgets (e.g. insurance, medical, groceries, utilities, state and various state and local taxes....) are either the same or higher. I have been spreadsheet tracking them for almost 10 years.
Well NC has the lowest auto insurance rates in the country, and that is because they cap how much injury awards can be, plus probably other things I don't know about.

I had a friend in insurance in Atlanta and he said he hated doing a claim through NC because it is much more complex. It sounds like NC created their own system different from other states, but if it results in cheap car insurance rates then it's a good thing.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
thanks for the follow up, so often posters forget to do it.

Seems like I remember getting the "T" sticker and going online, paying an extra three dollars for the privilege, and getting my dated sticker mailed out in 6 to 10 days.

FYI, my renewal registration that was completed Dec 18 has still not arrived.
Finally arrived Saturday the 9th.

Old 01-11-2021, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well NC has the lowest auto insurance rates in the country, and that is because they cap how much injury awards can be, plus probably other things I don't know about.

I had a friend in insurance in Atlanta and he said he hated doing a claim through NC because it is much more complex. It sounds like NC created their own system different from other states, but if it results in cheap car insurance rates then it's a good thing.
A little off topic, but your comment about NC Auto Insurance got me curious. I checked about 6 different websites that listed average rates by state. Not all the lists were identical but they were similar. Georgia was in the top 10 (or close to it) for most expensive on all the states. NC was in the middle of the pack, and Virginia was consistently in the top 10 for cheapest car insurance. Link to a map that is close, but does not exactly match every website I looked at (Red is 10% or more above national average, yellow/orange 10% or more below) : https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...rates.html#map

I remember from my many years of living in Va. that rates that zip codes were a big factor (as well as car being insured, driving record, credit score/history, level of coverage and Lord knows what else). I think being a "golf buddy" so to speak with your insurance agent didn't hurt either (I had a couple of co-workers who seemed to have great rates for home/auto/umbrella who were in this situation).

Actual Zip Code Data Point: It was about almost 7 years ago when one of my kids finished college, got a job, and lived at home for a few months (NOVA/FFX County) while banking some $$'s and starting a career. They finally were able (and more than willing) get their own place. It was one zip code away (just a few mile drive). Boom!!!!Quote from agent was 30% premium increase with no change in coverage, vehicle, or driving record - just due to zip code change. Needless to say they decided to keep car and DL at old address for a few years.

All that being said, I was surprised when our Auto insurance didn't change significantly (it may have gone up or down a few $'s, don't remember so it couldn't have been significant) for our two cars/drivers policy when we moved from from Northern Va to Brunswick County. Although AFIK auto insurance rates are regulated to some degree in some/most state by some Govt agency, actually the whole thing is a mystery to me.

Last edited by Windsail; 01-11-2021 at 08:01 AM..

Old 01-11-2021, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Finally arrived Saturday the 9th.

Congrats...I guess, I hate waits like that, it is stessful. So 22 calendar days (about 3 weeks) for what is supposed to take about a week or so. I wonder how much was due to USPS slowdown vs DMV slowdown (e.g. 50/50).

Old 01-11-2021, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Congrats...I guess, I hate waits like that, it is stessful. So 22 calendar days (about 3 weeks) for what is supposed to take about a week or so. I wonder how much was due to USPS slowdown vs DMV slowdown (e.g. 50/50).
The online company always warns of 7 to 10 days, but I've never waited longer than 5 days previously.

Of course, this was the perfect storm of Covid, Holidays, etc.

just glad it came.

Old 01-11-2021, 04:02 PM

773 posts, read 646,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Well NC has the lowest auto insurance rates in the country
According to this, NC isn't even in the top 10 states for lowest auto insurance:

https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/...-car-insurance

Old 01-11-2021, 04:12 PM

223 posts, read 144,512 times
Quote:
A little off topic, but your comment about NC Auto Insurance got me curious. I checked about 6 different websites that listed average rates by state. Not all the lists were identical but they were similar. Georgia was in the top 10 (or close to it) for most expensive on all the states. NC was in the middle of the pack, and Virginia was consistently in the top 10 for cheapest car insurance. Link to a map that is close, but does not exactly match every website I looked at (Red is 10% or more above national average, yellow/orange 10% or more below) : https://www.insure.com/car-insurance...rates.html#map

I remember from my many years of living in Va. that rates that zip codes were a big factor (as well as car being insured, driving record, credit score/history, level of coverage and Lord knows what else). I think being a "golf buddy" so to speak with your insurance agent didn't hurt either (I had a couple of co-workers who seemed to have great rates for home/auto/umbrella who were in this situation).

Actual Zip Code Data Point: It was about almost 7 years ago when one of my kids finished college, got a job, and lived at home for a few months (NOVA/FFX County) while banking some $$'s and starting a career. They finally were able (and more than willing) get their own place. It was one zip code away (just a few mile drive). Boom!!!!Quote from agent was 30% premium increase with no change in coverage, vehicle, or driving record - just due to zip code change. Needless to say they decided to keep car and DL at old address for a few years.

All that being said, I was surprised when our Auto insurance didn't change significantly (it may have gone up or down a few $'s, don't remember so it couldn't have been significant) for our two cars/drivers policy when we moved from from Northern Va to Brunswick County. Although AFIK auto insurance rates are regulated to some degree in some/most state by some Govt agency, actually the whole thing is a mystery to me.
When I moved from NOVA to the Tidewater area of Va, my insurance payment went down almost 40%. I asked my agent about this and they told me it was because of the high number of auto thief and accidents in NOVA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina