U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2021, 03:19 PM

3 posts, read 2,510 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to relocate and seem to be settling on North Carolina. We have always been wanting to escape the cold New England winters, and this seems like the perfect time with the market being what it is. I work remotely and will be able to keep my job (definitely need a place with decent cell/internet coverage). Looking for a small to mid-sized town that will have a bigger city not too far away with some job opportunities, should I ever need them (nothing too crazy, right now I work for an IT company as a coordinator). We have one daughter who has one more year of high school so definitely a decent/welcoming school. We are looking in the 200k range. Any thoughts on the good areas? We have looked at homes online in Hickory, Greensboro, Millers Creek, Connelly Springs and King.

Thank you for any advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2021, 03:29 PM

159 posts, read 70,757 times
Hmm... There is a wide variation of what 200k versus 290k can acquire. That can be a house in a small town or a 1BR condominium in a large city.

Are you willing to rent for a year or two before buying? That really helps make possible very detailed research on specific towns and neighborhoods.

Last edited by SGMI; 01-05-2021 at 03:40 PM..

Old 01-05-2021, 03:47 PM

3 posts, read 2,510 times
Sorry, should be more specific! Looking for a 3 BR home, 200 -225K range.

Old 01-05-2021, 04:21 PM

Internet coverage will be pretty similar in most places (the Charter/Spectrum monopoly).

It doesn't sound like you're searching in the hot areas of major metros so the low end of $200ish is workable. Especially if you're flexible on the age of home or the size of the yard.

King (outside of Winston-Salem) is probably the most practical that you mentioned, in terms of "What happens if you must look for a job locally". Although Hickory is a fair size as a metro, it's a historically manufacturing based city. It always has felt like a place that evolves slowly to me, and I don't think it has as many nice areas as Winston-Salem or Greensboro do.

Old 01-05-2021, 07:04 PM

33 posts, read 8,965 times
We moved to Greensboro 2 years ago, OP. My wife works at the courthouse here, and I work at a nearby mall. We're renting at the moment but plan on eventually getting a house.

I can't answer all of your questions but here are my observations so far: the weather is pretty mild, you'll certainly find much warmer temps in the winter than NE. Of course the summers can be really humid and hot. Not unliveable but pretty warm if you're not used to it. My other observation is that this area has the most wreckless drivers I've ever seen in any city I've lived in, and I've lived in many including several large metropolis'. My thought is that law enforcement barely enforces the traffic laws here for whatever reason and it's sort of a no man's land in a vehicle. So if you move here, be darn careful on the roads - and explain that to your daughter for sure.

Greensboro is pleasant to live in though, my wife and I go hiking often on the many great trails. We also like to visit Raleigh (1.5 hours away) and Charlotte (about 2 hours away IIRC), and of course you have the coast 3 hours east. Lot's of great free museums all over, too. Traffic is light imo, too.

I should add that we moved here after 1 year in Richmond VA which I actually liked better than Greensboro, but the opportunity we needed was here so here we are. Before that we came from Portland OR, before that GA, before that southern Cal, etc. So yeah, Greensboro isn't bad so far. Hope you guys find what you're looking for.

Old 01-06-2021, 03:06 AM

1,612 posts, read 2,110,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoldenCheetah View Post
We moved to Greensboro 2 years ago, OP. My wife works at the courthouse here, and I work at a nearby mall. We're renting at the moment but plan on eventually getting a house.

I can't answer all of your questions but here are my observations so far: the weather is pretty mild, you'll certainly find much warmer temps in the winter than NE. Of course the summers can be really humid and hot. Not unliveable but pretty warm if you're not used to it. My other observation is that this area has the most wreckless drivers I've ever seen in any city I've lived in, and I've lived in many including several large metropolis'. My thought is that law enforcement barely enforces the traffic laws here for whatever reason and it's sort of a no man's land in a vehicle. So if you move here, be darn careful on the roads - and explain that to your daughter for sure.
Isn't that a good thing?

Old 01-06-2021, 06:13 AM

31,375 posts, read 69,765,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellymay5 View Post
Looking for a small to mid-sized town that will have a bigger city not too far away
We have looked at homes online in Hickory, Greensboro, Millers Creek, Connelly Springs and King.
Thank you for any advice!
Pick that bigger city (250,000ish?) first. Rent a small place to live there for a while.
Get daughter out of high school; learn your way around and make some friends.
Use that time to explore the counties nearby for which wide spot in which road suits you best.

AFTER this period of introduction to a new area and jobs and all the rest (12-18mos) ...
then decide where you want to commit to based in YOUR OWN experience.

Old 01-06-2021, 07:41 AM

People often come into this forum wanting to jump immediately into buying. I remember my uncle's experience when he took a job at the Portland OR airport.

He admitted later they were in a hurry and only looked at a few houses, and choosing one. After about 6 months they realized they didn't like the house that much (it needed maintenance and had no bathrooms on the second floor) - and they didn't like the neighborhood (trashy neighbors who left junk in their front yards, plus too close to a nearby hospital with ambulance sounds at all hours) - and didn't like the town (Oregon City, which was quite moribund with little to do.)

They wanted out so badly they moved to an apartment, just so the house could be empty to show at any time. They ended up paying both rent and a mortgage for another year before finally unloading the house.

If you rent first, and realize the location isn't a fit - you can usually break your lease for a fee and move elsewhere. Much cheaper than making a mistake with a purchase.

Old 01-06-2021, 02:43 PM

33 posts, read 8,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Isn't that a good thing?
Absolutely!

Old 01-13-2021, 10:42 AM

3,126 posts, read 7,767,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Pick that bigger city (250,000ish?) first. Rent a small place to live there for a while.
Get daughter out of high school; learn your way around and make some friends.
Use that time to explore the counties nearby for which wide spot in which road suits you best.

AFTER this period of introduction to a new area and jobs and all the rest (12-18mos) ...
then decide where you want to commit to based in YOUR OWN experience.
Now I know why they call you "Mr. Rational"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina