Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?
Washington, D.C. 27 29.67%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Neither 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2021, 07:51 AM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
Let the record show that I'm not arguing against Charlotte and Raleigh's statuses as large cities. But it's clear that both cities are not in the same category as D.C. or Atlanta, and I'm asking if either city still holds an influence over North Carolina in this day and age.
I understood exactly what you meant. And yes, both cities have some influence on North Carolina still today. I think one modern development is that not only do significant numbers of North Carolinians move or work in metro DC and metro Atlanta today, but it is increasingly occurring Vice versa. Further, more and more DC-Baltimore area residents vacation at the Outer Banks, and some end up moving there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2021, 07:58 AM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
The answer is neither have influence ANYMORE, save the exception of routing for a major league baseball team.

There was a time that Charlotte pretty much hated Atlanta and Raleigh was the NC capital, if you want a real capital, go to DC.

But both of NC's largest cities grew to the point that they stand on their own and the cultural amenities in NC along the coast and in the mountains continue to grow...so no one really HAS to leave the state for really anything...save for maybe a live MLB game.

Old 01-23-2021, 04:12 PM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
so no one really HAS to leave the state for really anything...save for maybe a live MLB game.
DC has legal weed. Although it looks like the state of Virginia will legalize within a few years.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:57 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGMI View Post
DC has legal weed. Although it looks like the state of Virginia will legalize within a few years.
And it currently only has a civil penalty in Virginia

Old 01-23-2021, 09:12 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Let the record show that I'm not arguing against Charlotte and Raleigh's statuses as large cities. But it's clear that both cities are not in the same category as D.C. or Atlanta, and I'm asking if either city still holds an influence over North Carolina in this day and age.
Yes but as Charlotte and the Triangle continue to grow and add more amenities, not only does the influence of Atlanta and DC wane a bit, but over the past decade or so I'd say, it has become more and more common to hear Charlotte and the Triangle mentioned in the same breath as Atlanta and DC as relocation destinations by folks looking to make a move, and Charlotte and the Triangle have come to be seen as suitable options for folks looking to leave Atlanta and the Triangle for smaller locales but still want their new city to have more than just the bare minimum in metropolitan amenities.

Old 01-24-2021, 07:53 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,841,729 times
While I’m not sure either were much destination places for weekend getaways or concerts to the vast majority of North Carolinians, I think the general consensus is correct. DC had its tentacles on the eastern half of the state due to I-95 and in parts I-85. Atlanta reached the western half through i-85 towards the Triad. I believe the Triad was probably angled more towards Virginia and DC than southwards, but only just. The state follows similar fault lines on the Triangle/Charlotte in splitting the state.

Though I imagine DC was and is probably tops in the state for tourism if simply for educational purposes. Parents will want to take their kids at least once to see the sites in DC. Atlanta doesn’t have the same pull. Also you are much more likely to have to travel through DC (and therefore spend a couple hours eating or seeing something) than you are in Atlanta. The points on the other side of DC (NJ, Philly, NY) are destinations in ways Montgomery is not.

Old 01-24-2021, 08:24 AM

425 posts, read 418,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Also you are much more likely to have to travel through DC (and therefore spend a couple hours eating or seeing something) than you are in Atlanta.
I definitely think the opposite, although my family was spread out in Alabama, Texas, Florida and Oregon so going through Atlanta was far more likely than DC. In fact, I had never been to DC until I was 50, so even the "schoolchildren will make a few trips there for educational reasons" didn't really fit in my own life.

This forum is populated by many NE transplants, so I think that tilts viewpoints a bit into thinking DC is more relevant to natives than it has traditionally been.

Old 01-24-2021, 09:56 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Growing up in Eastern NC I went to Washington often but never to Atlanta. Now living in Charlotte I travel to Atlanta more often and rarely venture up to Washington.

Old 01-24-2021, 10:42 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Though I imagine DC was and is probably tops in the state for tourism if simply for educational purposes. Parents will want to take their kids at least once to see the sites in DC. Atlanta doesn’t have the same pull.
This is true but at the same time, the GA Aquarium parking areas are always full of school buses. That whole Centennial Olympic Park area has basically evolved into Atlanta's version of the National Mall. The Center for Human and Civil Rights has also become a more popular cultural venue for students, and of course there's the King Center a short streetcar ride away. Of course the actual National Mall with its landmark monuments and museums is in a class all by itself with national and international appeal, but Atlanta has done pretty well as a regional destination for folks within a couple hours' drive in all directions.

Quote:
Also you are much more likely to have to travel through DC (and therefore spend a couple hours eating or seeing something) than you are in Atlanta. The points on the other side of DC (NJ, Philly, NY) are destinations in ways Montgomery is not.
True but ATL deserves its just due for being the premier connecting hub for all destinations both in life and the afterlife lol. And the points of interest on the other side of Atlanta are basically all in Florida but Atlanta isn't on the way there from the vast majority of places in NC.

Old 01-24-2021, 11:54 AM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
To be honest, I think a more appropriate thread would be "What level of influence has Charlotte gained on the consciousness of Atlanta and DC media?" Below are three links that I found on a quick search. What I found interesting was the fact that Charlotte was mentioned as a stand-alone city in all three links (rather than the standard "Charlotte, NC" that we see with AP style). It goes to show that within the media markets of DC and Atl, Charlotte is slowly gaining the respect of being a major city in its own right (while still not actually being a peer of Atl and DC).

SunTrust merger with BB&T means another bank HQ leaving for Charlotte

The banking capital that Georgia lawmakers created -- in Charlotte

Get ready, Maryland. Charlotte’s light-rail project shows what Purple Line construction could bring

As for your thread question, I have a few questions first? How big of a deal was the Cold Play concert (some years back) in Atl and DC (to a North Carolina resident) when the band added a last-minute tour stop in Charlotte? How big of a novelty is taking a job in Atl/DC while choosing an apartment near a rail stop......When there are thousands of cheaper apartment units (and comparable paying jobs) within walking distance of a rail stop in Charlotte? How about an NFL, NBA, or MLS game in ATL/DC? Those 3 can be done in Charlotte too. Political conventions? Atl and DC has hosted them.....So has Charlotte. Major airports with non-stop flights? Atl and DC has that.......So does Charlotte. DC's mayor got arrested back in the day while in office. So has a Charlotte mayor LOL.

My point here is that a lot has changed since 1997, and while NC still doesn't have a city on (or near) the level of DC and Atl; NC does have a city with many of the same/similar amenities. At one point, it was NC residents who were making the pilgrimage to Atl and DC. As recently as 2018, DC and Atlanta residents were making the pilgrimage to Charlotte to party for the CIAA. DC and Atl residents still come to Charlotte to enjoy cheaper tickets when the Panthers play the NFL teams of those two cities. For the record, Pittsburgh and Buffalo fans travel well too. So, with all of that being said; I would say that Atl and DC can't possibly still have an influence over a state that has its own major city that is quickly approaching 3 million in metropolitan population. Or to put it another way. The proximity to DC/Atl hasn't stopped Charlotte from gaining any of its amenities. Charlotte has plenty of "breathing room" in which to grow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina