Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do North Carolinians view D.C. or Atlanta as their closest major city?
Washington, D.C. 27 29.67%
Atlanta 29 31.87%
Neither 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2021, 02:54 PM

405 posts, read 313,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstateofmind View Post
it's hard to decipher what your saying here...
but maybe you think DC is just way up at the top in terms of culture? DC certainly has influence (probably the second most influential city in the US after New York, and there's a thread for that (on the City v City forum I think), but culture wise outside of politics Atlanta has it beat.
No - Atlanta is way down in terms of "culture" IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Raleigh feels 0 like the District of Columbia. Mostly because they are 0 alike. Culturally or build. Do you know DC’s nickname??? Google Chocolate City...

Raleigh feels like Fairfax & Loudon counties.. Then again. Most places feel like Fairfax and Loudon though. Annapolis, MD feels way more like DC (if you’re going based on capital cities)

Atlanta has a lot more in common with DC than either Carolina city. Also want to point out by a percent basis, Metro Atlanta pumped out Democratic voters compared to the triangle region. For those who want to act like Atlanta is honky tonk compared to Triangle. If Triangle was as blue as Atlanta, NC would’ve went Biden. So the “more progressive than thou” attitude kinda falls flat against Atlanta considering how blue the metro is. Since when is voting for trump more progressive?? Fairfax and Durham turned out at similar margins for Biden, Loudon and Wake also turned out at nearly the same margin for Biden.

In geographic terms, I feel like east of GSO, DC is the go-to and west of GSO, ATL is the go-to. That’s just geography. Being closer to DC doesn’t mean Raleigh is any less of a buttered biscuit...

Annapolis feels NOTHING like DC. Atlanta is NOTHING like DC.

I prefer DC over to Atlanta as previously stated despite your inappropriate reference to Chocolate City; both cities are predominately black FWIW. So what ? That should have nothing to do with this debate in my opinion as it is irrelevant. Please don't turn this into a racial, or Red vs Blue, debate. That has no place on this forum.

It seems that if people express opinions which come across as negative towards Atlanta, they are immediately shot down by the PC Police as somehow being racists or ignorant. Nobody claimed that Atlanta was more like a honky tonk than the Triangle, some folks just don't care for it.

Old 01-26-2021, 04:02 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,362,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Annapolis feels NOTHING like DC. Atlanta is NOTHING like DC.

I prefer DC over to Atlanta as previously stated despite your inappropriate reference to Chocolate City; both cities are predominately black FWIW. So what ? That should have nothing to do with this debate in my opinion as it is irrelevant. Please don't turn this into a racial, or Red vs Blue, debate. That has no place on this forum.

It seems that if people express opinions which come across as negative towards Atlanta, they are immediately shot down by the PC Police as somehow being racists or ignorant. Nobody claimed that Atlanta was more like a honky tonk than the Triangle, some folks just don't care for it.
Sorry to hurt your feelings about Raleigh not being like DC. But it’s not hard to see a resemblance between say Georgetown and Annapolis or if you go by the old boundaries Alexandria and Annapolis.

Atlanta definitely feels like DC in several spots. :/

And are you saying chocolate city is inappropriate? That’s literally the most common nickname of DC. They even say it on local news...

If you are saying chocolate city is inappropriate, you literally have zero clue at all about DC probably other than the Air & Space museum and Lincoln memorial. Which is sad because you’re literally missing the culture of DC. Which happens to have its roots in black culture. What’s insulting is equating DC to NoVa as some tech, research white collar college educated area and act as though that’s just soooo great but who cares that DC’s culture is rich in African American culture and was shaped by it, right? Never mind the fact that go-go music and the like is DC culture; not this false idealization it’s a Research Triangle Park (that would be the I-270 corridor, which is in Maryland)

Raleigh posters, maybe not you specific, are so obsessed with Raleigh not being southern or being like DC (which it’s not anything like DC - Fairfax/Loudon, sure.) it doesn’t make sense. It’s Raleigh, North Carolina. It’s the south. deal with it.

And back to the topic. Whether you think you’re northern, southern or European. Whichever city is closest is probably the city that is closest. So for Raleigh, That would be DC. Charlotte, that would be Atlanta. I mean. These are facts that don’t change because you feel like your city is in a different region.

Last edited by Charlotte485; 01-26-2021 at 04:57 PM..

Old 01-26-2021, 04:59 PM

3,862 posts, read 4,253,621 times
Quote:
Sorry to hurt your feelings about Raleigh not being like DC. But it’s not hard to see a resemblance between say Georgetown and Annapolis or if you go by the old boundaries Alexandria and DC.

And are you saying chocolate city is inappropriate? That’s literally the most common nickname of DC. They even say it on local news...

If you are saying chocolate city is inappropriate, you literally have zero clue at all about DC probably other than the Air & Space museum and Lincoln memorial. Which is sad because you’re literally missing the culture of DC. Which happens to have its roots in black culture. What’s insulting is equating DC to NoVa as some tech, research white collar college educated area and act as though that’s just soooo great but who cares that DC’s culture is rich in African American culture and was shaped by it, right?

Raleigh posters, maybe not you specific, are so obsessed with Raleigh not being southern or being like DC (which it’s not anything like DC - Fairfax/Loudon, sure.) it doesn’t make sense. It’s Raleigh, North Carolina. It’s the south. deal with it.
The only southern city that sort of feels like DC is Richmond due to their rowhouse neighborhoods. I use to live in Annapolis and it never felt like DC nor Georgetown in my opinion. Atlanta as mentioned has similar demographics, a scaled-down version of the heavy rail system, a huge loop around the city but it by no means feels like DC. Atlanta is a huge southern city, a great place. And other than both DC and Atlanta being predominantly Black cities, the Black cultures are very different.

And for the record, the notion that more "urban" means better is ludicrous. I don't think sunbelt cities need to be high density urban jungles to be great cites as evident.

I'll stick with my previous position, DC is considered the "big" city to most baby boomer North Carolinians and realize that Atlanta gained a share of the notoriety since the early 90s or post-Olympics.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:43 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,362,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
The only southern city that sort of feels like DC is Richmond due to their rowhouse neighborhoods. I use to live in Annapolis and it never felt like DC nor Georgetown in my opinion. Atlanta as mentioned has similar demographics, a scaled-down version of the heavy rail system, a huge loop around the city but it by no means feels like DC. Atlanta is a huge southern city, a great place. And other than both DC and Atlanta being predominantly Black cities, the Black cultures are very different.

And for the record, the notion that more "urban" means better is ludicrous. I don't think sunbelt cities need to be high density urban jungles to be great cites as evident.

I'll stick with my previous position, DC is considered the "big" city to most baby boomer North Carolinians and realize that Atlanta gained a share of the notoriety since the early 90s or post-Olympics.

True.

And to add to my post, I meant in comparison to Raleigh when mentioning Annapolis & DC & Atlanta. Because posters are claiming in various threads Raleigh is a mini DC with some anti-southern bias thrown in. Which is primarily what I’m addressing. That triangle is no less southern than Atlanta.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:09 PM

697 posts, read 482,273 times
Quote:
True.

And to add to my post, I meant in comparison to Raleigh when mentioning Annapolis & DC & Atlanta. Because posters are claiming in various threads Raleigh is a mini DC with some anti-southern bias thrown in. Which is primarily what I’m addressing. That triangle is no less southern than Atlanta.
Absolutely. D.C. and Atlanta are different culturaly and physically. The only thing really similar is the population and our African- American culture with our DMV swag being much different than the ATL dirty south vibe however. Yes in no way is Raleigh like DC at all except that it is polycentric however that to me that is a stretch with there not being any other major city of its size in the metro. Yes there are other business nodes around the metro but those are there only beause of the city of D.C. itself. Raleigh is just as southern as Atlanta and Charlotte but nowhere near as cosmopolitan.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Sorry to hurt your feelings about Raleigh not being like DC. But it’s not hard to see a resemblance between say Georgetown and Annapolis or if you go by the old boundaries Alexandria and Annapolis.

If you are saying chocolate city is inappropriate, you literally have zero clue at all about DC probably other than the Air & Space museum and Lincoln memorial. Which is sad because you’re literally missing the culture of DC. Which happens to have its roots in black culture. What’s insulting is equating DC to NoVa as some tech, research white collar college educated area and act as though that’s just soooo great but who cares that DC’s culture is rich in African American culture and was shaped by it, right? Never mind the fact that go-go music and the like is DC culture; not this false idealization it’s a Research Triangle Park (that would be the I-270 corridor, which is in Maryland)

And back to the topic. Whether you think you’re northern, southern or European. Whichever city is closest is probably the city that is closest. So for Raleigh, That would be DC. Charlotte, that would be Atlanta. I mean. These are facts that don’t change because you feel like your city is in a different region.
I don't understand why opinions seemed to bother you so much. I am comparing WASHINGTON, DC to ATLANTA (topic of this thread) yet you continue to drag Raleigh and African American culture into the conversation. I prefer DC to Atlanta. I don't care for Atlanta. I believe that DC had more influence in NC than Atlanta which is why I am posting on this thread. I never claimed that Raleigh was like DC, you keep saying that I said that. Both cities have a strong African American presence, of course I am aware of that; it has nothing to do with my opinions. Please accept my opinions (you are free to agree or disagree with them) and stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Old 01-26-2021, 06:55 PM

Quote:
True.

Maybe these posters live in Cary and have a built-in anti southern bias ? Who knows and who cares. I think that you are reading too much into these comments. Let's support freedom of speech and free expression.

Old 01-26-2021, 08:22 PM

467 posts, read 423,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
I don't understand why opinions seemed to bother you so much. I am comparing WASHINGTON, DC to ATLANTA (topic of this thread) yet you continue to drag Raleigh and African American culture into the conversation. I prefer DC to Atlanta. I don't care for Atlanta. I believe that DC had more influence in NC than Atlanta which is why I am posting on this thread. I never claimed that Raleigh was like DC, you keep saying that I said that. Both cities have a strong African American presence, of course I am aware of that; it has nothing to do with my opinions. Please accept my opinions (you are free to agree or disagree with them) and stop trying to put words in my mouth.
You have not once actually explained the reasoning behind your claim that DC has a greater influence on NC than Atlanta does. And if I'm not mistaken, it seems to be you who is the one obsessing over discussions, or lack thereof, of race. No one's turning this into a race issue, nor is anyone trying to shoot down "free speech," but for you to "lol" in response to Atlanta's widely accepted position as a hub of Black, Southern, and urban culture as either a false claim or poor representation of said culture, or culture at large, honestly says enough...

Anyways, outside of the northeastern segment of the state, I really don't buy DC's supposed, outsized dominance over Atlanta in relation to NC. Neither has an influence on NC in the same way that, for instance, New Orleans does for Mississippi or something. And no amount of denigrating Atlanta and simply "preferring" DC is going to change that...

Old 01-26-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
You have not once actually explained the reasoning behind your claim that DC has a greater influence on NC than Atlanta does. And if I'm not mistaken, it seems to be you who is the one obsessing over discussions, or lack thereof, of race. No one's turning this into a race issue, nor is anyone trying to shoot down "free speech," but for you to "lol" in response to Atlanta's widely accepted position as a hub of Black, Southern, and urban culture as either a false claim or poor representation of said culture, or culture at large, honestly says enough...

Anyways, outside of the northeastern segment of the state, I really don't buy DC's supposed, outsized dominance over Atlanta in relation to NC. Neither has an influence on NC in the same way that, for instance, New Orleans does for Mississippi or something. And no amount of denigrating Atlanta and simply "preferring" DC is going to change that...
You are mistaken. It was the other guy who mentioned race. More than once.

Please accept my right to free speech and expression. I will always respect your right to the same. Always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina