U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2021, 10:51 AM

7 posts, read 1,502 times

Advertisements

Hi All. My family and I currently live in SE Pennsylvania. I am originally from New Hampshire she is from PA. We have decided PA is costing us too much to live and realize there is cheaper and better living outside of PA. We initially were going to look into moving to NH due to lack of sales and income tax and cheaper property and property taxes. She is not fond of winter up there. We have been exploring better climates and NC came up as a possibility. We currently live close to Philly and are not city people. We prefer more rural areas with low density. Looking to stay off the coast out of direct impact of hurricanes. I know the whole state can be affected but i feel inland more might have less damage and impact? We like beaches so don't want to be too far of a drive away(2-3 hrs tops). Looking for a small home on an acre or two of land for buffer preferably wooded. Budget 250k - 275k. Having only been through the state can anyone provide some ideas of towns we could search out or areas to investigate that might fit our criteria? We have two children elementary school and middle school aged. I have a background in mortgage finance 14 yrs and construction management with a civil engineering firm serving municipalities. I also have background in business development municipal government. We hope this provides enough info. Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2021, 11:33 AM

159 posts, read 70,757 times
The main hazards from hurricanes are falling trees and floods. So even if you examine some coastal cities, you can locate a home that is unlikely to be damaged, as long as there are not large trees near it, and you study the flood maps closely.

If you are OK with longish commutes, you could live in the outer areas of the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) or counties adjacent to Charlotte.

I would honestly say, keep an open mind to most cities in the state and just continue applying for job openings. There are positives and negatives to any location. But you will certainly reduce your winter weather experiences here.

Old 01-22-2021, 11:45 AM

23,018 posts, read 34,270,105 times
You'll get more housing bang for your buck in the Triad area (Greensboro-Winston Salem-High Point) and given the number of desirable places to live there would highly suggest it first versus the more expensive Raleigh-Durham or Charlotte metros.
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...35194752320433))

Old 01-22-2021, 12:29 PM

15,276 posts, read 4,556,742 times
Wilmington area would be my suggestion

Old 01-22-2021, 03:57 PM

36 posts, read 7,600 times
Wilmington is too close to the coast for the OP; Charlotte too far. I'd suggest Fayetteville, Greenville or the eastern portion of the Triangle (Johnston County)

Old 01-22-2021, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buxton Bagpipes View Post
Wilmington is too close to the coast for the OP; Charlotte too far. I'd suggest Fayetteville, Greenville or the eastern portion of the Triangle (Johnston County)
I hear fayettville is not a good area? Can anyone shed light on that? I have a cousin who lived in wilmington an loved it but for my wife's sake something more off the coast to avoid such an impact from hurricanes.

Old 01-22-2021, 04:04 PM

36 posts, read 7,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRA82 View Post
I hear fayettville is not a good area? Can anyone shed light on that? I have a cousin who lived in wilmington an loved it but for my wife's sake something more off the coast to avoid such an impact from hurricanes.
F'ville has a reputation as not being very desirable, and has a heavy military influence. Like most places, it has its good points and bad points. Given your geographic preference, need to find a job and housing budget, its worth looking into.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:14 PM

11,878 posts, read 13,039,795 times
I'd suggest Clayton, Zebulon, maybe Angier or Lillington.

Old 01-22-2021, 07:33 PM

9,137 posts, read 13,687,777 times
Hi, you sound a bit like me and my husband. I am from the Philly suburbs, and my husband is from New Hampshire! I would recommend the Greensboro/Winston Salem area. It might be a bit farther from the beach than you want, but is overall cheaper than the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill) area. Your price point is pretty low. You will find that North Carolina isn't a whole heck of a lot cheaper than Pennsylvania. If you tell me where you are from or where you like in the Philly area, I may be able to make some comparisons.

Old 01-22-2021, 09:55 PM

We are in bucks county. Not really a fan of here compared to my living in NH an growing up there. I never really settled in or called this home. But i get no land an pay 4k in property taxes a year. I just cant justify that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina