U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2021, 11:25 PM

3 posts, read 2,817 times

Advertisements

Just graduated with a Master's degree in Adult, Continuing, and Higher Education Administration (UWM) along with my BBA in Management Information Systems (TAMIU). I literally threw my self into the program in hopes to combine my love for higher education and technology.

Anyway. I want out of Milwaukee, WI. There is no reason from me to be here, and I'm hurting inside knowing I have to work, save money in order to save for my next move. I am just over this place. Cold, heart-broken, and other things. However, I was determined to get a Masters from this place and I delivered.

I am a 36-year-old, well-traveled and cultured African-American male. Different from most because I grew up in the military, as an Air Force brat. I am fine moving in predominantly anything other than African American, so when you reply, just know that bit about me.

North Carolina seemed attractive because these are the things I am looking for.

A state that:
1.) Has cities close to the ocean
2.) Lots of colleges to work for and perhaps federal jobs.
3.) I am considering moving to DMV area, eventually! I would rather find a city where I can easily scoot closer to the area.
4.) Low cost of living. I do not believe in paying thousands of dollars to live in a nice place.
5.) Salaries should be reasonable. Entry-level-Apprenticeship-Fellowships (Instructional Design, Student Affairs, International admissions, and training, learning and development positions)
6.) It has 4 seasons.
7.) Any global companies, I want to move overseas eventually.
8.) Seems like one of the best affordable states to grow, learn, and prosper.

A colleague of mine told me to consider NC to grow in my career. I honestly have to grow into my Masters since I could not get internships during the pandemic. However, I have worked as an AmeriCorps member, ESL teaching in South Korea, held down some technology related tech jobs.

Hobbies include: Soccer, Jazz, Fishing, Museums, Hiking, I am more spiritual, so I like would prefer finding a place that is

Any recommendations which cities to move to would be helpful? Any other ideas for good companies or schools that seem to eagerly hire someone with my credentials would also be helpful!

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2021, 12:07 AM

12,440 posts, read 14,249,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jharmon16 View Post
Different from most because I grew up in the military, as an Air Force brat.
Well, that is actually pretty common here in NC. We are one of, if not the, most military friendly states. Lots of folks that grew up as military brats, parents got stationed here and they stayed, or moved back here.

Quote:
I am fine moving in predominantly anything other than African American, so when you reply, just know that bit about me.
Not sure I follow that. You will find African American folks all over the state.

Quote:
4.) Low cost of living. I do not believe in paying thousands of dollars to live in a nice place.
8.) Seems like one of the best affordable states to grow, learn, and prosper.
I think affordability and low cost of living are really in the eyes of the beholder. We have lots of transplants from the Northeast (NY, NJ) and California who find it to be a good deal money-wise here, but I'm not sure how it compares to Milwaukee.

Quote:
Any recommendations which cities to move to would be helpful? Any other ideas for good companies or schools that seem to eagerly hire someone with my credentials would also be helpful!
I guess start looking in Charlotte, Raleigh, Durham, Greensboro and Winston-Salem.Those are the likeliest suspects.

Old 01-26-2021, 07:42 AM

1,204 posts, read 560,252 times
Let me give you one advise that I wish someone gave me when I just got my graduate degree. Apply and take the job that will be the closest to what your IDEAL job is... or at least closest to what you'd like to do. You should understand that right now, for a lot of employers you are a "recent graduate", they will be willing to give you a little slack, just based on the idea that you are "full of energy and ideas, and you really would like to apply them into your job." If you aspire to live in DMV or work for an international company, apply to one and live/work there.

Do not come here thinking that in 3-5 years you'll move to DC. At that point, you'll be 40+. Will you be interested to move again? You got that grad degree and worked hard for it. If you are interested in international career, I'd look in Atlanta rather than here. There are multiple aid companies, Jimmy Carter's org alone does a lot of international stuff. There is CDC. All those companies and organizations need IDs to carry out their training and education.

In short, you are almost 40, man. Live the life you want to live and do things you'd like to do. Do not look for an "intermediary" stuff. You blink and you are 50 and still in Raleigh, writing training materials for a big pharma. If that's what you want that's fine. You'll probably live a good life, and get paid well. But, do not come here if your dream job is to create educational programs for USAID's HIV program. If that's the eventual goal, then take a job at George Mason doing ID and training for international public health. Do you know what I mean? As I said, make that first "right after grad school" job matter.

Old 01-26-2021, 05:18 PM

23,877 posts, read 36,951,347 times
I agree given your age you should bypass your perceived "next step" and move toward where you want to wind up. The DC area is without a doubt the best place for you/your career and while it's expensive there are decent, reasonably priced pockets not way off in the outskirts. Check out some of the listings attached for apartments and consider you'll likely come in around a minimum of 50K working there.

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...p16_q41H2-l_8F

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...n4_lgg1Hj_tovB

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...75lp910Hu-qq9F

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...j2plp60Hl47qvB

https://www.apartments.com/apartment...iz5z060Hw-qq9F

Old 01-29-2021, 12:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 2,822,491 times
Agreed with the above -- post-master's, you should try to set yourself up within the DMV. Relocating doesn't get easier, and you've got a great resume. The northeast side of the region, around UMD, is a better value and commutable to many universities (though not the IT cluster in Reston-Ashburn).

That said, keep your job search open to Baltimore, Richmond, the Triangle or Philadelphia.

Old 01-30-2021, 01:06 PM

2,785 posts, read 2,541,314 times
Move for the right job man you're single and ready to go raleigh is lock goldilocks porridge not to cold not too hot come here for the right job but you probably won't hate it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina