Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2021, 08:47 PM

807 posts, read 689,401 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a car that is located and registered in Georgia. It is a private seller, and I would pay cash for it (certified check). I am wondering what steps I would need to take to be able to drive it back to North Carolina legally.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Nicholas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2021, 07:41 AM

10,392 posts, read 11,489,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas_n View Post
Hi everyone,

I am considering buying a car that is located and registered in Georgia. It is a private seller, and I would pay cash for it (certified check). I am wondering what steps I would need to take to be able to drive it back to North Carolina legally.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

-Nicholas
We’re not lawyers and cannot give legal advice.

But from what I understand, since you will be driving the vehicle back to North Carolina, if you intend to have the vehicle inspected and registered in the state of North Carolina, you potentially might be able to obtain a 10-day temporary plate from the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles so that you can legally drive the vehicle to be inspected and registered in the state of North Carolina.

You probably should contact the NCDMV as soon as possible at the first opportunity you get on a business day to see if the vehicle you are planning to purchase would qualify for a 10-day temporary plate so that you could legally drive the vehicle back for inspection and registration in North Carolina.

Quote:
If the registration cannot be issued until it is inspected – and I can’t drive it to the inspection station – how do I legally get the car in compliance?
​
The N.C. Division of Motor Vehicles may issue a 10-day temporary license plate that authorizes an individual to drive their vehicle for inspection and registration. You should contact an NCDMV license plate agency for the plate.
NORTH CAROLINA - The Official North Carolina DMV Website - Official NCDMV: Emissions and Safety Inspections FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions

Old 02-04-2021, 04:59 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Yes: OP, questions like that should ALWAYS be directed (via google) to the state agency responsible for overseeing it. They get questions like yours daily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina