Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2021, 08:30 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times

Advertisements

If any, I wonder what neighborhoods in 50 years will also be considered old money neighborhoods?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2021, 06:34 AM

771 posts, read 624,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
If any, I wonder what neighborhoods in 50 years will also be considered old money neighborhoods?
Most of north Raleigh, I'd imagine. MacGregor Downs in Cary, too.

Old 05-04-2021, 02:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,147,582 times
I'm surprised to hear so many people mention Myers Park as old money Charlotte. It might have been so 20 years ago, but I think a large part of the native population has sold out to people from out of town. Your more likely to hear a Yankee, German or no accent at all than a Southern accent.

Eastover must have a much greater proportion of multi-generational wealthy Charlotteans. You'll still even hear the old Southern-Episcopalian-Charlotte dialect from time to time. The most similar dialect I can think of is the wealthy Charlestonian accent (think Henry McMaster but not quite so pronounced). When they say "Myers" its only one syllable.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,206,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
In Raleigh, I'd say Country Club Hills and the large lots in Drewry Hills (including Williamsborough Ct/Marlowe/Lakestone across Lassiter Mill) if any.

Old 05-05-2021, 07:26 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,150,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
In Raleigh, I'd say Country Club Hills and the large lots in Drewry Hills (including Williamsborough Ct/Marlowe/Lakestone across Lassiter Mill) if any.
Those are some solid guesses.

Old 05-10-2021, 06:14 AM

3,661 posts, read 3,936,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfalz View Post
I'm surprised to hear so many people mention Myers Park as old money Charlotte. It might have been so 20 years ago, but I think a large part of the native population has sold out to people from out of town. Your more likely to hear a Yankee, German or no accent at all than a Southern accent.

Eastover must have a much greater proportion of multi-generational wealthy Charlotteans. You'll still even hear the old Southern-Episcopalian-Charlotte dialect from time to time. The most similar dialect I can think of is the wealthy Charlestonian accent (think Henry McMaster but not quite so pronounced). When they say "Myers" its only one syllable.
Old money families aren't required to keep sounding Southern with each new generation.

Associating the two together is understandable though in theory there's no link between them.

Queens Rd. doesn't have many Charlotte natives anymore?

Hayes Barton in Raleigh will likely continue to be known for old money.

I'll bet Fuquay has plenty of old money too.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:28 PM

2 posts, read 8,134 times
Old Money? In the US? LOL! I guess it depends on what you consider as "Old Money," but unless you're talking about wealthy families that are seven generations or older, then NC would not count. You'd have to travel to Europe for the real "Old Money." I grew up in Raleigh but have lived all over the place in NC. I could break it down, city by city, but I never considered any of the wealthier families I've known to be old money. If you're talking about the wealthier areas in NC, then I would go with Myers Park in Charlotte and the Budleigh section in Raleigh, which is right off Wade Ave. Search deeply enough and you'll find out that many of the well-to-do families from both areas have obscene amount of money that came from hugely successful companies that started in the late 1800s or early 1900s. Sure there are older families in places like Wilmington, Greensboro, etc., but the wealthier people in NC are from Charlotte and Raleigh.

Old 03-25-2022, 04:49 PM

2 posts, read 8,134 times
On board with architect77. Nowadays it's hard to find "Old Money" families in the wealthier NC neighborhoods. I've known more than a handful of people who grew up in Myers Park and the Budleigh and Hayes Barton sections of Raleigh, but today those areas have few Southern families. Most people in those areas are from some other state, usually the North. To the point about accents, I'd say it's common to hear the Southern accent where the Southern families do still live, but even those are divided. Some have strong Southern accents with limited education and worldliness, while some have lost theirs as the result of leaving the South and getting their educations in a larger city outside the South or abroad. The more sophisticated ones leave the South altogether and never really return, unless it is a visit. I guess it is just awkward to associate Old Money with the South. It does not really fit. I can think of only two people from Raleigh who may come close to fitting the bill. Other than that, many of the "Old Money" families I know are basically just generic people who have stayed in the South their entire lives and know very little outside a book, their vacations or reading about places on the internet. "Old Money" requires so many traits that generally do not exist in the South.

Old 07-01-2023, 10:47 PM

10 posts, read 15,102 times
Default Salisbury and Comcord old money.

Salisbury has tons of old money. At one time Salisbury was larger and more important than Charlotte. It was definitely more influential in the Civil War. Historic Districts are all over the place and 200+ yr old homes are common. Add to that the Food Lion millionaires and old southern money abounds in Salisbury. Specifically the Confederate neighborhood near the hospital and the Fulton Street corridor.

Concord has plenty of old money as well. Manufacturing and especially textiles left enormous wealth in many families. Ever hear of the Cannon's?
The Union St corridor and especially the Les Myers neighborhood off of S.Union St as well as the Partridge Bluff area just north of the hospital in town.

Old 07-01-2023, 11:00 PM

10 posts, read 15,102 times
Default Charlotte

Eastover is where the old old old old money actually lives in Charlotte. Yes Myers Park has quite a mix of old and new.

Foxcroft is also full of old money and recently much of the real estate there has eclipsed MP.
Morrocroft in SouthPark as well as Quail Hollow have lots of old money as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina