Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 08:10 PM

23 posts, read 78,682 times

Advertisements

I've lived in Morrisville (suburb of Raleigh/Cary) for two years now and found at least five of those spiders in my house. I've been bitten twice, once on the couch and once while sleeping. They can get quite big. My house is in a big neighborhood too, but it does back up to woods.

In the summer you have to watch out for skinks as well. If you leave a door open for a minute they'll slip in and are impossible to catch. I had one living in my house for at least two weeks. I thought for sure it died and found it standing on the kitchen counter one afternoon. They'll freak you out when you are not expecting it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2007, 08:30 PM

23,015 posts, read 34,381,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu-nc View Post
I've lived in Morrisville (suburb of Raleigh/Cary) for two years now and found at least five of those spiders in my house. I've been bitten twice, once on the couch and once while sleeping. They can get quite big. My house is in a big neighborhood too, but it does back up to woods.

In the summer you have to watch out for skinks as well. If you leave a door open for a minute they'll slip in and are impossible to catch. I had one living in my house for at least two weeks. I thought for sure it died and found it standing on the kitchen counter one afternoon. They'll freak you out when you are not expecting it.
This may be a dumb question, but what is a skink?

Old 01-01-2007, 10:23 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eu-nc View Post

I live here in Raleigh too. I never see spiders in my house....thank god. I have never ever been bitten either.....thank god. And what in the **** is a skink????

I looked a skink up. They are just lizards....thank goodness..lol

Old 01-02-2007, 11:31 AM

17 posts, read 86,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess View Post
I'm living in Clayton and we haven't got that kind of spiders at all. The only spider we get here is Daddy Long Legs - small and harmless. I lives next to the woods.

Bless you Cakeprincess!! You really made me feel alot better.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:31 AM

5 posts, read 39,307 times
I really don't mind the skinks...but then again I don't mind the spiders as they tend to eat black widows and other actually dangerous bugs. (Plus where I am almost all my neighbors get ants in the summer. However I don't, I think the spiders are eating them all.)

We do get cute visitors though, as I was letting my dog out last night a little spring peeper (a frog) hopped in and I kept him long enough for some reference sketches.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:27 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,297,425 times
Default I'm fainting over here

I'm another arachniphobe. Can't STAND them and get chills even thinking about them.

My stories:

1) One semester in college my history class took place in a biology lab since they were low on space. The bio professor who used the lab loved spiders and had TWO HUGE posters with closeup photos of spiders. We're talking 5x8 posters. They were at the front of the class where the professor stood for lectures. Needless to say I rarely looked up from my notebook during that class.

2) As a ten year I was leaving a relative's house and walked right into a web that he been spun across the doorway. I began freaking (screaming bloody murder, scratching at my face) and my family had NO IDEA WHY because I was unable to even form words in my terror. My mom finally figured it out about 30 seconds into the screaming and got me calmed down enough to do a spider check to see if it was on me (thank heavens - it wasn't).

3) In college I was once "trapped" in my dorm room because a wolf spider was in front of my dorm room door. I refused to step near it and couldn't kill it (which again, would require me getting NEAR it). So I began calling friends on the phone but they were all in class. I opened my window and tried calling to people outside to come let me out, but no one took me seriously. Finally, I just began hollering at the door until my RA finally let herself in and killed the spider. I slept in a hallmate's room that night until the spider's spirit was gone from the room. Yes, you read that right.

4) I was once again "locked out" of my house in the middle of the night because a giant spider (the body alone was at least 2-3 fingers big) built a web over my front door entryway. I got home at 2 a.m. from a night of dancing and stayed outside staring up at the web in horror for about an hour because I just couldn't get myself to walk under that web and take the ten seconds I'd need to unlock the door and get inside. I finally got a huge tree branch and threw it at the web, causing the massive beast to run to the tree on one side of the doorway (where his web was partially attached). I finally managed to get enough confidence to run to the door and unlock it. The next morning? The web was gone entirely and that spider was never seen again.

I *HATE* spiders.

Old 01-10-2007, 08:36 AM

7 posts, read 18,727 times
Call the BUG MAN,,,,he'll take care of the creepy-crawlies!

Old 01-10-2007, 09:16 AM

11 posts, read 46,552 times
Default Spiders

You all should see the great huge ones we have down here in Florida, this one is kind of cute tho, would probably get along well with my pets here in north central florida, ahahahahahahaha

Old 01-10-2007, 09:57 AM

108 posts, read 374,372 times
Default deadly afraid

I'll check out snakes, but forget spiders!

In Florida, there are spiders in the 'forests' but have never had one in my house, ever!!! Just cute little lizards sometimes.

I am scard to death of spiders. The home we may buy near Hickory backs up to woods, is that a problem? I am origially from Ohio never had too many major spider issues there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina