U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2021, 07:13 AM

12,239 posts, read 22,869,913 times

Advertisements

If looking for Federal/military jobs, try USAjobs, or specific ones like the MCCS: https://careers.usmc-mccs.org/#nav-positions It always helps to have an existing TS clearance.

While Charleston may have abundant jobs, the public schools are not great. Many people send their kids to private schools.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-10-2021 at 07:30 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2021, 08:12 AM

784 posts, read 530,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There is virtually no difference in weather between coastal South Carolina and the Wilmington North Carolina area. I don't know where you are getting that. Look it up. Just google Charleston SC weather and Wilmington NC weather. It's partly cloudy and 75 both places right now. If you're looking for jobs in a more conservative coastal location it is definitely worth checking out South Carolina.

Southport and Boiling Springs Lake and all of Brunswick County is full of retirees. The coast of NC in general aside from Wilmington is full of retirees.

Greenville NC might work for you too if you don't mind being 1:30-1:45 from the beach. It is home to East Carolina University and you might be able to find a job there. Good healthcare in the area, too. Again, a bit of a mixed bag politically.

You might consider Pinehurst and Southern Pines in North Carolina if you can drop the 1-2 hrs from the coast requirement. Lots of retirees there too, but there are probably more kids than there are in Southport. Helps if you like golf, horses, and country clubs.
Greenville NC is definitely conservative leaning, I would not consider it a “mixed bag”.

I agree, SC coast is probably the best option. The economy is a lot better on the SC coast, and as a state SC is significantly more right leaning than NC.

I also wouldn’t discount the VA Beach area which easily is the best economically while also being right winged politically.

Old 05-10-2021, 08:44 AM

12,281 posts, read 13,821,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post
Greenville NC is definitely conservative leaning, I would not consider it a “mixed bag”.
It is pretty mixed from what I can tell from election results, although I don't live there. The current mayor of Greenville is a Republican, but the mayor before that was a Democrat who got elected and re-elected three times.

If you live there maybe you can give some more insight. I think it might be a good fit for the OP. The area is definitely less left leaning than other places in NC like the Triangle, Triad, and Charlotte.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
...........You might consider Pinehurst and Southern Pines in North Carolina if you can drop the 1-2 hrs from the coast requirement. Lots of retirees there too, but there are probably more kids than there are in Southport. Helps if you like golf, horses, and country clubs.....
Not a bad suggestion for the major employers in Fayetteville. For network jobs, look to the US Army and its contractors, the Veterans Administration, Cape Fear Valey Hospital and city and county jobs.

The area will be strongly conservative. The housing prices are better than in the Triangle, as long as it is not a gated or golf course community. It will be easily possible to find an acre of land. You might also like the small city of Sanford which has many manufacturing plants which all use networks.

Old 05-10-2021, 09:56 AM

53 posts, read 27,418 times
Are there jobs in the pinehurst/southern pines area? I think when I mentioned being near the coast I said being less than hour or two away was a preference and not a hard requirement. If not I misspoke.

Old 05-10-2021, 10:04 AM

There are great healthcare jobs in Moore County. It has a highly regarded health care system. Might be a network engineer job in health care or the schools there. If you don’t mind a long commute or going in a few days a week it is commutable to Raleigh. I believe it’s about 1:15 away. It's about an hour from Fayetteville, too, and many more job opportunities in the Raleigh area.

Last edited by poppydog; 05-10-2021 at 10:12 AM..

Old 05-10-2021, 10:54 AM

53 posts, read 27,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archer705 View Post

I agree, SC coast is probably the best option. The economy is a lot better on the SC coast, and as a state SC is significantly more right leaning than NC.

I also wouldn’t discount the VA Beach area which easily is the best economically while also being right winged politically.

Are there any nice towns in the suburbs of Greenville and what is the job market like around Greenville?

Old 05-10-2021, 11:49 AM

Big long thread about Greenville here: Greenville Area Developments

Old 05-10-2021, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP22 View Post
Are there any nice towns in the suburbs of Greenville and what is the job market like around Greenville?
I'd suggest Washington and Chocowinity for access to waterfront on the river. Winterville and Farmville for more suburban living than Greenville. Expect the culture to be more "Southern". Church-going and family are very important, restaurants feature pulled-pork barbecue and fried fish. Crime rates average higher than New Hampshire. The landscape is flatter, and, I think, less interesting than the Raleigh area. It is about 1 hour and 3/4 to the beach.

The major employer is East Carolina University, which is middling academically but trying to improve itself. It has a very good medical school, so there would be jobs available for the RN.

I'd suggest researching the network engineering jobs for yourself, as I do not know your detailed jobs skills or clearances.

Old 05-10-2021, 04:11 PM

784 posts, read 530,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP22 View Post
Are there jobs in the pinehurst/southern pines area? I think when I mentioned being near the coast I said being less than hour or two away was a preference and not a hard requirement. If not I misspoke.
Pinehurst/Southern Pines is essentially an exurb of Fayetteville. About 40ish minutes away from West Fayetteville, which would be your best bet for employment.

Within 2 hours of the coast, major employers are going to be Raleigh/Durham and Fayetteville.
Significant but less major employers can be found in Wilmington, Greenville, and to some extent Jacksonville.

Out of curiosity, I did a quick search on Indeed, and both Fayetteville and Raleigh are top cities in the state for network engineering, both with dozens of job postings.

Raleigh is somewhat nicer than Fayetteville, but both are great cities. Although I will point out the difference between 300K in Raleigh and 300K in Fayetteville is probably over 500 square feet.

Fayetteville is definitely more conservative than Raleigh (even the democrat mayor is supported by republicans), but both are moderate at best. I will say though, since Fayetteville is the “big city” for all of southeastern NC and parts of SC, which are extremely conservative, the city feels a lot more right leaning than it actually is.

I’m pretty sure both Raleigh and Fayetteville have majority conservative metro areas, but Raleigh has 3 of the most liberal counties in the state (Orange, Durham, and Wake).

Charlotte, Raleigh, and Fayetteville are by far the top 3 cities in the state for network engineering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina