U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-10-2021, 05:21 AM
 
53 posts, read 27,418 times
Reputation: 98

Advertisements

We are a family of four that is looking to leave behind the brutal New England winters for good and are interested in learning more about NC for a possible relocation. I am a network engineer and my wife is an RN. We have a 10 year old son and a nine year old daughter. In New England we have always loved living near the ocean but from what we have learned about NC it seems like there are not many jobs on the coast with the exception of maybe near Wilmington. So while we'd liek to be within an hour or two from the coast it's not a deal breaker.



We would prefer to live in a town of roughly 5K-20K people. We don't mind being near a big city but not in it or the immediate suburbs. The political environment of the town would also be very important to us. We do not wish to live in a town dominated by liberals. It's important that wherever we end up have a good school system but one that does not force liberal politics into the class when they should be focusing on academics. I'm being blunt because this is extremely important to us.


I have heard there are a ton of jobs near the research triangle in Raliegh Durham or also Charlotte but I have also heard that these areas are very densely populated. We are not city people by any means and do not want to be in an overcrowded area.


Our budget for a home would be in the range of roughly 280-340K. We want a decent sized home at least 2000 square feet on a decent sized lot, one acre or more. Are there nice areas around Wilmington that fit the bill or perhaps Greensboro or Asheville? As I said we don't want to go near Charlotte or Raleigh Durham if we don't have to.







We have never been to NC but have talked about it with alot of friends and family who are familiar with some parts of the state. We would like to visit for a week this August to see what it's like in the summer. We abhor the winters in New Hampshire but have never experienced a summer in a southern state. We're told it's not as bad as places like FL, GA, SC or AL though.


Any suggestions and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-10-2021, 05:40 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
12,281 posts, read 13,821,872 times
Reputation: 10363
If you don't want liberal, strike Asheville off your list. It's also 4 hours to the coast.

Wilmington is a mixed bag politically. If being around conservatives is really important to you, South Carolina might be a better fit as North Carolina is pretty mixed politically. All the cities are more liberal and it's mixed in the rural areas where it is more diverse and less white.

If you want to try NC, Wilmington is your only choice for a city of size close to the beach (your 1-2 hours) unless you want to go with Raleigh, which you said was too big.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 05:55 AM
 
53 posts, read 27,418 times
Reputation: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
If you don't want liberal, strike Asheville off your list. It's also 4 hours to the coast.

Wilmington is a mixed bag politically. If being around conservatives is really important to you, South Carolina might be a better fit as North Carolina is pretty mixed politically. All the cities are more liberal and it's mixed in the rural areas where it is more diverse and less white.

If you want to try NC, Wilmington is your only choice for a city of size close to the beach (your 1-2 hours) unless you want to go with Raleigh, which you said was too big.



Thanks for the input. We don't need a town that is die hard conservative per se. It's just that in New England so many of the liberals shove their politics in your face everywhere you go 24-7 and we can't stand that. We're just looking for somewhere where that is not the norm. SC would be too hot for us I think. Are there any nice suburbs of Wilmington where the houses have decent sized lots and there are decent schools? We don't want to live in a city or even a large congested suburb. We don't mind having to commute maybe up to an hour for work if it means we get to live in a quieter town.


Thanks again.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 06:30 AM
 
53 posts, read 27,418 times
Reputation: 98
What is the Southport/Boiling Spring Lakes area like? Would that be a nice area for a family to live and look for jobs in Wilmington?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 06:41 AM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
12,239 posts, read 22,869,913 times
Reputation: 5875
Southport is a wonderful scenic area, Boilings Spring Lakes is "meh". But I am not sure there are many network engineering jobs in Wilmington. I would extend the job search to the Jacksonville area for jobs with the Marine Corps or their contractors. Numerous small towns are nearby with a conservative population, eg Sneads Ferry and Holly Ridge.

BTW, your housing budget is a bit low for an acre of land in the Wilmington area, unless you look inland to towns like Maple Hill or Burgaw.

You might also look at Elizabeth City, for jobs with the Coast Guard, or Goldsboro for jobs with the Air Force. I would prioritize the job search, then select a nearby town. I am assuming the RN wife could easily find a job.

Last edited by goldenage1; 05-10-2021 at 07:04 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 06:55 AM
 
Location: Central New Jersey… the urban part
7,744 posts, read 3,123,822 times
Reputation: 6097
JIm from MA, but I think alot of NH is remincent of NC. Especially the rolling hills in the RDU Area... reminds me of Concord or Laconia.

But try these places that fit your budget and criteria.. whom are also close to job centres
-Pittsboro, NC
-Fuquay Varina, NC
-Clayton, NC
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:01 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
12,281 posts, read 13,821,872 times
Reputation: 10363
There is virtually no difference in weather between coastal South Carolina and the Wilmington North Carolina area. I don't know where you are getting that. Look it up. Just google Charleston SC weather and Wilmington NC weather. It's partly cloudy and 75 both places right now. If you're looking for jobs in a more conservative coastal location it is definitely worth checking out South Carolina.

Southport and Boiling Springs Lake and all of Brunswick County is full of retirees. The coast of NC in general aside from Wilmington is full of retirees.

Greenville NC might work for you too if you don't mind being 1:30-1:45 from the beach. It is home to East Carolina University and you might be able to find a job there. Good healthcare in the area, too. Again, a bit of a mixed bag politically.

You might consider Pinehurst and Southern Pines in North Carolina if you can drop the 1-2 hrs from the coast requirement. Lots of retirees there too, but there are probably more kids than there are in Southport. Helps if you like golf, horses, and country clubs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:02 AM
 
Location: Chapelboro
12,281 posts, read 13,821,872 times
Reputation: 10363
Pittsboro is super hippie/liberal. Not sure why massachoicetts suggested that. Not a good fit for you at all.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Charlotte
1,934 posts, read 1,701,469 times
Reputation: 2374
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMDP22 View Post
What is the Southport/Boiling Spring Lakes area like? Would that be a nice area for a family to live and look for jobs in Wilmington?
There are 8 job postings within 50 miles of Wilmington that return for "network engineer"... so slim pickings.

Along the coast, Charleston down in SC is probably a better option career wise. 135 job postings return for "network engineer" and right at the beach. South Carolina is a "red state," but Charleston County is a little more mixed politically (55% Biden vs 42% Trump in 2020). The adjacent Dorchester and Berkley counties are flipped politically (55% Trump vs 42% Biden) and you may like that they are less crowded / more rural (but commutable to Charleston).

Last edited by CLT4; 05-10-2021 at 07:12 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-10-2021, 07:10 AM
 
1,189 posts, read 499,099 times
Reputation: 1988
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
There is virtually no difference in weather between coastal South Carolina and the Wilmington North Carolina area. I don't know where you are getting that. Look it up. Just google Charleston SC weather and Wilmington NC weather. It's partly cloudy and 75 both places right now. If you're looking for jobs in a more conservative coastal location it is definitely worth checking out South Carolina.

Southport and Boiling Springs Lake and all of Brunswick County is full of retirees. The coast of NC in general aside from Wilmington is full of retirees.

Greenville NC might work for you too if you don't mind being 1:30-1:45 from the beach. It is home to East Carolina University and you might be able to find a job there. Good healthcare in the area, too. Again, a bit of a mixed bag politically.

You might consider Pinehurst and Southern Pines in North Carolina if you can drop the 1-2 hrs from the coast requirement. Lots of retirees there too, but there are probably more kids than there are in Southport. Helps if you like golf, horses, and country clubs.

Ugh, look at this liberal lefty going out of her way to help you with your questions.

Your budget seems a bit low for Raleigh/Durham anyway. I would stick with exurbs... even suburbs are getting blue here, damn queers and BLM signs everywhere. You throat may get chaffed.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top