Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2021, 09:06 PM

13 posts, read 23,119 times

Advertisements

We are Non Golfers from Northern NY looking to retire to the Pinehurst area. We have looked in the Triangle and the mountain area of NC. Both these areas are nice in different ways. We have heard nice things about the Pinehurst area. Th Triangle area has great Healthcare and some nice communities but there is a lot of urban sprawl and there are not a lot of communities that we feel are not a good fit for us. We don't actually want an over 55 community, but a community with amenities and a certain part of the community roughly in our age group. A mix is fine. A community and nice downtown is important.. safety and lack of congestion. good healthcare are important. My only thought is , as non golfers are there lots of other things to do and will we fit/mix in with the community? Anyone recently move there form elsewhere that can shed any light on the area? Negatives/positives? Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2021, 10:35 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
My parents retired to the Sandhills (the name for the whole "Pinehurst/Southern Pines area") 30 years ago and couldn't have been happier (my dad lived there until he died a few years ago). Yes, they were golfers, but they also did lots of other stuff. My dad's second wife was not a golfer but was just as busy was he was, with her own stuff.

There are lots of lakes in the area, so if you like boating, you're in luck. Seven Lakes is an incorporated area built around lakes, that does have a golf course, and lots of retirees, but also younger families. Lots of "vacation homes", too (that's what we had until my folks renovated it to retire to, back then).

It's a terrific concentration of (generally wealthy) retirees with all of the activities you might imagine such an area would have. Yes, you will probably get double-takes when you say you don't play golf, but plenty of people don't.

As far as "downtowns"--not really such a thing there. It's a collection of small towns and strip centers, except for the "Disneyfied" Pinehurst town center which is, of course, built around golf and the tourists it brings. The rest of the towns' version of a "downtown" is one street with a few storefronts, but mostly strip centers. You can go to Google maps and look up Southern Pines or Aberdeen, and use Street view to "drive" the streets and see what they actually look like. Most go to Fayetteville or Raleigh to do any real "city" stuff.

Old 08-31-2021, 01:10 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Francois' summary is excellent. I'll just add that the health options in Moore County are exceptionally good. The hospital is FirstHealth Moore County: https://www.firsthealth.org/director...ional-hospital

There is a related fitness center with classes and an indoor pool: https://www.firsthealth.org/fitness/locations

There are many non-golf recreational options in the city and county parks. There is also the Waltour-Moss Foundation that offers horseback riding trails and a huge natural park. You could also join one of the golf clubs with a social membership to enjoy the restaurants, outdoor pool, or tennis courts. Pinehurst Resort even has a spa.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-31-2021 at 01:21 AM..

Old 08-31-2021, 07:01 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Can you tell us what you do like instead of what you don't do (golf)?

Old 09-06-2021, 06:15 PM

13 posts, read 23,119 times
Thanks everyone for the great information! Well we love being outdoors (My husband is a biker, We both love trail walking/ hiking, pickeball) Would even like to take some golf lessons in time. Open to new things now that we are retired. Used to boat in upstate NY years ago. I appreciate all the information and everyone taking the time to reply!

Old 09-06-2021, 08:12 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
I think you will definitely find pickleball companions in Pinehurst. There are some neat hikes in the area like Weymouth Woods. I'd say it's worth a look around.

Not sure if you mean cyclist or motorcyclist, but I think you might find some of both around. Not as many as the golfers perhaps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina