Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 02:45 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
I don't know much about the Jewish community, but I'll assume based on the history that it's lively and thriving. There's a Triad Jewish Film Festival, too.
A friend's in-laws, who are Jewish, moved into Burlington or one of the Triad cities to run their family sock knitting firm. I assume there were also other Jewish families who came to run other sorts of textile businesses. The in-laws reportedly loved North Carolina compare to New York and New Jersey where they originally lived.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:43 PM

241 posts, read 338,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
A friend's in-laws, who are Jewish, moved into Burlington or one of the Triad cities to run their family sock knitting firm. I assume there were also other Jewish families who came to run other sorts of textile businesses. The in-laws reportedly loved North Carolina compare to New York and New Jersey where they originally lived.
That doesn't surprise me. The Cones were textiles entrepreneurs back in 19th century. Burlington's not in the Triad, but it's less than 30 minutes from G'boro.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:50 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,525,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nita0312 View Post
That doesn't surprise me. The Cones were textiles entrepreneurs back in 19th century. Burlington's not in the Triad, but it's less than 30 minutes from G'boro.
For what it's worth, Alamance County was originally in the Piedmont Triad MSA before the region was splintered into several smaller MSA's in 2003. There are still quite a few Triad-based regional organizations that include Alamance County, particularly relating to economic and community development.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,152 times
Charlotte has a vibrate growing and welcoming Jewish community, it has 3 major synagogues and several smaller congregations, mostly in south Charlotte and one at Lake Norman. It also has a most outstanding Jewish Community Center. Charlotte also has the only Kosher butcher, grocer and restaurant in both Northand South Carolina.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:03 PM

149 posts, read 162,980 times
Out of curiosity, why would anyone want to move to an area with a high concentration of one ethnicity? We're all Americans. If I were Hebrew, I'd want my kids to learn about Christian, Muslim, Hindu traditions, etc. I teach my kids about other cultures and don't isolate myself with other Christians.

Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leopoldbloom View Post
Out of curiosity, why would anyone want to move to an area with a high concentration of one ethnicity? We're all Americans. If I were Hebrew, I'd want my kids to learn about Christian, Muslim, Hindu traditions, etc. I teach my kids about other cultures and don't isolate myself with other Christians.
If you had young children, how would you feel about answering your children's questions every December? If all of the other homes had Christmas decorations up & you had a menorah in the window, what would you tell them when they asked to have a tree, too? There will always be questions, but, if you aren't the only Jewish family in the neighborhood, it can make a difference.

Old 04-08-2017, 02:41 PM

I grew up in a predominantly Jewish area, and I didn't mind being in the minority. All of my neighbors constantly spoke about Israel and Jewish holidays, and it was fine with me.

Old 04-08-2017, 08:21 PM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Unless living in a few select areas in New York metro or a few other Northeast cities, nearly every Jew in the US will live as a minority religion in their area. When someone asks for an area with a larger concentration of Jews, especially on a North Carolina board, they are asking for an area that has a concentration of maybe 10% of Jewish people. No one is coming to this board asking to live in an area with ONLY Jews, it would be impossible, and they know that. They are asking for an area that has SOME Jewish people, so that they are not the only ones in their community. In a country of 325 million people, with 318 million of them being non-Jews, most Jews are quite familiar and integrated with other cultures and religions, particularly Christianity.

Old 04-09-2017, 05:48 AM

Actually, in the NYC metro, there are many areas in which Jews are the absolute majority, and they stick among themselves and make no effort to learn about other cultures.

I find that odd. I also find it odd when Jews want to isolate themselves with other Jews. As noted, we're all Americans.

In a hotel in NY a few years ago, there was a Christmas tree and a menorah, and a group of Jewish guests demanded that the tree come down because they found it "offensive". It was removed. If that group had spent more time with Christians, they might have been less racist.

By the way, I have many Jewish relatives. I'm interested in their customs.

Last edited by Leopoldbloom; 04-09-2017 at 06:25 AM..

Old 04-09-2017, 08:53 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Quote:
Actually, in the NYC metro, there are many areas in which Jews are the absolute majority, and they stick among themselves and make no effort to learn about other cultures.

I find that odd. I also find it odd when Jews want to isolate themselves with other Jews. As noted, we're all Americans.

In a hotel in NY a few years ago, there was a Christmas tree and a menorah, and a group of Jewish guests demanded that the tree come down because they found it "offensive". It was removed. If that group had spent more time with Christians, they might have been less racist.

By the way, I have many Jewish relatives. I'm interested in their customs.
I know that there are some areas like that in the NY metro area, and I acknowledged that. They are primarily ultra orthodox (very religious, observant) Jews that isolate themselves off like that. They make up about 5% of the American Jewish population. 95% of Jews in the US live among people of other religions and ethnicities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina