Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2008, 02:52 PM

10 posts, read 29,900 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

I'm from NYC and I'm considering relocating somewhere in the South someday to raise a family, and North Carolina is on my radar.

I typically have to use sunblock from May till about the end of August yearly so that I don't burn especially I'm out in the sun for longer than 10 minutes - lol Casper!

I also love the outdoors so staying inside is not an option. I'm just curious as to the time of year that fair-skinned folks like myself would not have to worry about getting burned when not using sunblock.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2008, 03:05 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
You might want to consider the mountain region of this state where you will have more chances of being under some type of tree canopy

UV index 2007 Raliegh http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/product...les/rdu_07.png
This will give you a general idea of high and low points of the uv index and it will be slightly higher east of Raleigh and slightly lower west of Raleigh or the same.

Forcast of uv National Data - NOAA's National Weather Service

Old 05-15-2008, 06:08 PM

3,576 posts, read 10,656,730 times
I'm fair-skinned. I start trying to get as much sun exposure in March and April as I can, so I'm usually OK for the rest of the summer. I wear a sunblock if I'm going to be outdoors in direct sun for any period of time greater than an hour, usually from May through August. Obviously, being on a beach, in the water, or somewhere like a racetrack, I take greater care to use the sunblock liberally.

For what it's worth, I've not had a sunburn now for 12 years.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:32 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Shon, this answer is going to vary from person to person, but I'll tell you my experience.

I am very fair skinned. I had a friend who looked at my bare legs once and said, "You aren't white. You're mint green!" It is impossible for me to tan, although I still have a smattering of freckles leftover from my childhood. So that should give you an idea of how pale I am.

For me, sunblock is not a seasonal thing. If I'm not wearing sunblock, it is possible for me to get a sunburn on my face in January in less than 30 minutes if I'm outside in a sunny spot. I have a habit of always wearing at least an SPF 15 on my face and that works fine for me for most of the year. When spring arrives and I'm wandering around in short sleeves, I'll put that same SPF 15 on my arms, too. I only think about applying something stronger than that if I'm doing any sort of outdoor activity where I know I'll be in the sun's direct rays for more than, say, an hour.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,490,627 times
i have been putting sun block on my 2yo since april. i didnt do it the first day and he "burned" his face and neck, (i just noticed a difference in color that night between his neck and the covered part of his back) so i have to be very careful.
i sunblock him every day now. i worry about skin cancer, so i dont want to take chances with him.
for myself i am fair skinned, but dont usually wear shorts, so i just wear my normal Olay with sunscreen on my face and i am ok.
i would say you will need protection from april to october
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: