Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 12:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

moderator note:
Thanks for everyone contribution on the topic about goverment issues to keep this thread on it's original track lets focus back on the original topic.
However the topic would make a good thread in itself in the state forum.
Sorry to the OP.
Thanks

Old 05-21-2008, 12:22 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I have not seen either place, but plan a visit soon.
In the meantime, I am trying to research which would
pertain more to my lifestyle.

I am 36, married, with 2 kids (ages 4 and 2).
I am a teacher (stay-at-home mom now and for a long time to come) and
my husband is a Physician's Assistant.
We are looking for an area that is:
low in crime
family oriented
we can get a home with a yard for under $250k in a GOOD neighborhood
great to excellent schools
downtown city life is not a plus (we have kids so as long as we
can have nearby shopping and movies, parks, etc., we're happy).

Thanks.
Honestly, I would take a good look at both places since they could both potentially work for you and your family based on the criteria you listed. If I were in your shoes it would come down to which job offer is the best in terms of salary, company lifestyle, and potential for career advancement.

Both places are great!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 AM

106 posts, read 319,462 times
thanks for your useful commentaries...

Old 08-15-2008, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
Default welcome to raleigh

I have lived in Raleigh and Charlotte. Both are great cities. Seems lot of people are saying Charlotte is twice as big as Raleigh. While this might be true, Raleigh is more or less coupled with Durham. Raleigh/Durham is approximately the same size of Charlotte. The only thing I see in Charlotte that might be better, is cheaper housing. If Forbes and Money magazine "best" places are important to you, Raleigh is always on the top of the lists.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:18 AM

5 posts, read 29,353 times
AJ1972 if you happen to come back here to this site i would love to get your opinion from your visits to Charlotte and Raleigh. Also, i would like to know which city did your family choose?. thanks and God Bless.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:22 AM

5 posts, read 29,353 times
AJ1972 would you also please go into detail about how the weather is in both states and the areas that are considered safe for a single woman.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:35 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
I have not seen either place, but plan a visit soon.
In the meantime, I am trying to research which would
pertain more to my lifestyle.

I am 36, married, with 2 kids (ages 4 and 2).
I am a teacher (stay-at-home mom now and for a long time to come) and
my husband is a Physician's Assistant.
We are looking for an area that is:
low in crime
family oriented
we can get a home with a yard for under $250k in a GOOD neighborhood
great to excellent schools
downtown city life is not a plus (we have kids so as long as we
can have nearby shopping and movies, parks, etc., we're happy).

Thanks.
Move to Raleigh or Cary!!!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:41 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
I think I posted this earlier, but I would take a hard look at both Charlotte and Raleigh and go where you find the best employment opportunity. Both areas are great for families. I live in North Raleigh and there are tons of families here. I have friends who live in Ballantyne area of Charlotte (They are 35 and have two kids) and they love it there. Honestly, when it comes to the suburbs of Raleigh and Charlotte there is very little difference between the two IMHO. Find a great job and go wherever it leads you.

Good Luck!

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,554,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mykephit View Post
I have lived in Raleigh and Charlotte. Both are great cities. Seems lot of people are saying Charlotte is twice as big as Raleigh. While this might be true, Raleigh is more or less coupled with Durham. Raleigh/Durham is approximately the same size of Charlotte. The only thing I see in Charlotte that might be better, is cheaper housing. If Forbes and Money magazine "best" places are important to you, Raleigh is always on the top of the lists.
But it takes 2 cities (Raleigh & Durham) and 2 counties (Wake & Durham) to equal Charlotte's 1 (Charlotte-Mecklenburg).

Charlotte has also made that list to...and Relocate America rated Charlotte as the #1 city in the USA to live in 2008.

Both are nice cities...but they should go where they have employment...especially now-a-days.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:49 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,675,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the 7 oh 4 View Post
But it takes 2 cities (Raleigh & Durham) and 2 counties (Wake & Durham) to equal Charlotte's 1 (Charlotte-Mecklenburg).

Charlotte has also made that list to...and Relocate America rated Charlotte as the #1 city in the USA to live in 2008.

Both are nice cities...but they should go where they have employment...especially now-a-days.
You're wrong. Mecklenburg (Charlotte) is 900,000. Wake (Raleigh) is 875,000. If Durham county were combined, they both would almost equal 1.2 million.

Also, Raleigh has rated higher in more publications than Charlotte consistently for the past 8 years...

Raleigh was also rated higher than Charlotte for top places to live for singles by Forbes magazine. It was in the top ten actually, Charlotte ranked 19th.

Sorry for veering off subject, just had to put that out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina