Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2006, 06:41 AM

20 posts, read 106,200 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am fairly sure we will be moving to this area in a month. If anyone is from there, can you answer a few questions for me?

Is this a good town to raise a family? I know that Hickory was rated one of the best, but I am looking for something a bit smaller.

I have a 2 yr old and one on the way- is there a rec center with a toddler play area in the pool? How about a family center or some type of organization that helps to plan play groups?

Is there a bike path thru town or easy trails for biking in the area? How far to the mountians where you can hike/ camp?

How may hours to Asheville/ Charlotte/ Hickory?

Does the town have a good variety of resturants/ grocery stores? Besides work, do most people have to drive to a biger town to get basic services?

How is the hospital? Does it have a maternity ward? Does anyone know if ther are midwives in the area?

Thank you for any information you can get me. I will be searching the internet, but this site is such a great resource...

One last thing... my family is not religious, are we going to be able to fit into the community? That question sounds kinda wierd, but we spend alot of time in Utah with the LDS and have found some communities where, not being LDS ourselves, we've felt kinda left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2006, 06:25 AM

20 posts, read 106,200 times
One more thing---

Are there tornados in this area? Either from storms or hurricanes?

Thanks!

Old 05-14-2006, 07:07 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
Tornados are rare in the area because of the mountains. There was one last year quite a bit to the east. The thing you have in this are is a lot of lightning. Actually gets scary sometimes but most of the time the weather is wonderful. That's why we moved here. Take a look at your map. Hwy 181 heads straight up to a number of campgrounds and the Pisgah National Forest. Lottsa hiking and biking. Wilson's Creek is just a bit northeast of town and it is beautiful!
There are some decent restaurants in town. For some of the bigger national chains you have to go to Hickory which is 25 miles or if you want a Fridays you go to Ashville which is 65 miles. We do most of our shopping in Hickory at Sam's and a Super Walmart. For a serious days shopping we head closer to Charlotte for BJs or Costco (about 50 miles).
Charlotte itself is about 80 miles.
Sorry I can't help you with the day care or hospitals. Lenoir won out for our search criteria.
Religion: locals will invite you to there churches not their homes. Took us a while to get used to that but nobody has been real pushy.
All driving directions here involve using the corner Baptist churches as landmarks. There are a bunch of them.

Old 05-14-2006, 08:12 AM

5,660 posts, read 27,001,034 times
http://www.nc-climate.ncsu.edu/office/newsletters/1999Spring/tornado_by_county.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-15-2006, 01:26 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,760,333 times
Well we had a tornado yesterday in Cabarus County northeast of Charlotte. A small one but it took out a barn and scared the heck out of the locals.
Hail covered a wide area damaging in crops, and cars. One small area had golf ball sized hail.

Old 05-15-2006, 10:53 AM

167 posts, read 944,881 times
Yikes!!! I hope the weather will be better there next week when I'll be camping there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina