Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 10:25 PM

160 posts, read 499,058 times

Advertisements

Why does everyone think NC is the promised land? It is plauged with a lot of problems, like every other state, but the hype it gets on this forum is huge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 10:52 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Basically, New Englanders have already ruined MD and VA, and NC is just next in line. In about 25years when the locusts hordes have picked the state clean, it will SC turn j/k

Old 01-01-2010, 11:00 PM

160 posts, read 499,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Basically, New Englanders have already ruined MD and VA, and NC is just next in line. In about 25years when the locusts hordes have picked the state clean, it will SC turn j/k
there is some truth to that although most people from New York and New Jersey would object at being called New Englanders lol

Old 01-01-2010, 11:04 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
because it has all this beauty here is a few

the beauty in nature the fact you can roll the windows and breathe fresh air, the beautiful flowering dogwoods. You can find peace

Old 01-02-2010, 12:17 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,564 times
That's just it. People think it's the promised land. And to some it is. To others it is just a beautiful place to live as Sunny's pictures show. To some others, I am sure it is a disappointment. To each his own.

Before the economy tanked, this was the place to go especially for people from the northeast and Florida because you got more for your money and in many ways was cheaper. That of course has changed somewhat. But people still want to come here if they can, so yes it is a busy forum with a lot of relocation questions. And people are just friendly on here.

It is in many ways similar to what happend to your part of Florida. From Ft. Myers up to Tampa exploded in growth when everyone left the east coast to find more affordable housing and to escape the crowds. I used to live in Ft. Lauderdale and knew more people who fled our area for yours. Heck we used to vacation at Marco Island and Sanibel Island to get away from it all. And while I still miss those two islands, there is a lot to be said for the mountains and Outer Banks and what's in between here.

Old 01-02-2010, 05:50 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
there is some truth to that although most people from New York and New Jersey would object at being called New Englanders lol

I didn't want to offend by calling them yankees (though they should only be offended if I had said "d**n yankees" )

Old 01-02-2010, 06:04 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,079,607 times
Although NC/SC/TN/KY/FL residents may think there is a diabolical scheme going on to "take over the south" concocted by Northerners to assert their dominance on all peoples of the nation and force our pizza, driving habits, nasal-screeching, obnoxious, know-it-all attitude and general "we are the better inhabinants of the world" bravado on the kinder, gentler southerners, it comes down to this and simply this for 99.9 percent of all incoming people:

It is cheaper living in the south (that margin may be shrinking but at the same time, it's just getting more expensive up north, esp. NY), the weather is far more favorable for the majority of the year with a lot more sunshine than many cities in the north due to locations situated on or near the Great Lakes which results in the infamous "lake effect (constantly cloudy) weather", there is a slower pace of life that appeals to mnay worn out northerners as they get older and, last time I checked, you can still move there without a passport

Last edited by Fallingwater79; 01-02-2010 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-02-2010, 07:03 AM

93 posts, read 229,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian of The Gulf View Post
Why does everyone think NC is the promised land? It is plauged with a lot of problems, like every other state, but the hype it gets on this forum is huge.
Because of the quality pottery you can find here.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:51 AM

444 posts, read 1,144,142 times
Because we live in two totally different worlds. NCers (and other small poor states) live in the real world, and others (from the large cities that they announce themselves by) live in the dream world. I guess what I am trying to say is that when NYC'ers move down here by choice, they expect all these great things they wanted back in NYC. But instead they are struck with the reality of what NC didn't have that makes them love NYC.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:35 AM

431 posts, read 1,142,154 times
I know a lot of NC residents have been born and raised there. But were you ancestors always from NC too? Yes I'm a yankee now. But I plan on becoming a southerner. Putting roots down in NC and all that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina