Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 12:44 PM

122 posts, read 477,742 times

Advertisements

My retired Mom, Aunt and I (still working) are looking for a nice, safe town near a larger city. Would love to move to a town with a vibrant downtown.
Prefer living near the mountains.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 01:06 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
My retired Mom, Aunt and I (still working) are looking for a nice, safe town near a larger city. Would love to move to a town with a vibrant downtown.
Any suggestions?
Well, towns with vibrant downtowns are sometimes hard to come by - the vibrance is usually only found in the bigger cities I would suggest you base yourself within an hour of Asheville. It is a beautiful mountain city with quite the art scene, among other things. A bit expensive to live in, and jobs are limited to tourism types for the most part, so look at smaller towns like Marion or Hendersonville. Happy hunting!

Old 01-03-2007, 02:25 PM

165 posts, read 882,048 times
Weaverville..not vibrant but cool small town.

11 miles north of Asheville, very active, lively and vibrant. IMHO

My fiance Betty and I bought property north of Weaverville, next county up, Madison.

Moving out of FL as soon as possible.

We are thrilled with Weaverville, though still Buncombe County.

Madison is more country like and cheaper. County seat is Marshall, only 10 miles or so from Weaverville.

Its gorgeous country.

Ed

Old 01-03-2007, 02:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed&Betty View Post
Weaverville..not vibrant but cool small town.

11 miles north of Asheville, very active, lively and vibrant. IMHO

My fiance Betty and I bought property north of Weaverville, next county up, Madison.

Moving out of FL as soon as possible.

We are thrilled with Weaverville, though still Buncombe County.

Madison is more country like and cheaper. County seat is Marshall, only 10 miles or so from Weaverville.

Its gorgeous country.

Ed
Yes, Ed, Weaverville is also an excellent choice!! Good for you!

Old 01-05-2007, 05:42 PM

35 posts, read 143,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGirl3624 View Post
Any suggestions?
Probably need a little more info. Such as - do you want to live in a near suburb of a 'large town'? Or are you talking about living ina very rural setting that is within 15-30 minutes of all your needs?

My initial suggestion would be to focus on something just outside of Asheville. Asheville will offer all the shopping, dining, arts/culture, etc. that you could desire (and still receive between Atlanta & Washington, D.C.) That list would include towns such as Mars Hill, Brevard, Hendersonville, etc. that are all within a 30 mile radius of Asheville. if you want something closer, then look accordingly. if you don't mind being an hour away, etc. then you are looking at places like Boone, a great spot in it's own right, and very much a university town (Appalachian State - approx 12K+ students). Marion, Burnsville, lots of other smallish towns, that might appeal.

Good luck, and feel free to ask further questions...

Old 01-05-2007, 05:51 PM

35 posts, read 143,581 times
Honestly, it's almost like a gold rush these days. There are so many new developments, etc going up in western N.C. that you couldn't throw a stick without hitting one. It's kind of funny, as I was born there, and have lived there or nearby (within 3 hours) all of my life. It was always just a whole lot of small towns with little to no opportunity to attract industry, etc. that had no chance to keep all of their young people from moving away the first chance they got.

Now, suddenly, western N.C. is the hottest of hot places to be. It's a nice thing to see, and something that was totally unexpected...

It really IS a beautiful country, and the people are welcoming, too. They won't run out to your car to greet you when you arrive, but if you show them you want to join their circle, they'll bend over backwards to welcome you. The cost of living is low, even though Asheville can be expensive compared to the rest of the area. Twenty miles outside Asheville, things are much cheaper.

It is just a great place to be, really...

Old 01-06-2007, 04:25 AM

196 posts, read 766,427 times
I'm a private person so thank you abdnva for letting me know that people won't push their way on me unless they know I want to join in-Asheville seems ok

Old 03-31-2011, 11:08 AM

4 posts, read 7,671 times
I'm trying to relocate to North Carolina may 2012, from upstate New York. I am 21, and wondering how the job market is. Would it be difficult for me to support myself?

Old 03-31-2011, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 7,671 times
I love the Asheville outskirt towns, from my research so far anyways. But just hoping the towns arent too small where I will not find a job.

Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,432,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridubs View Post
I'm trying to relocate to North Carolina may 2012, from upstate New York. I am 21, and wondering how the job market is. Would it be difficult for me to support myself?
yes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina