Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2022, 03:46 PM

202 posts, read 250,761 times

Advertisements

Looking online, I found a lot of jobs I’d be qualified for are in NC. This surprised me as I’ve never really been familiar with the state so hadn’t seriously considered it.
I was looking at San Antonio as it’s cheap but a lot of the jobs require training I don’t have and I’m worried it may be TOO hot. I hate the cold but too much heat isn’t great either. NC has the jobs and better scenery so I’m willing to give it more consideration.
A few ?s.
First off, how is Heath care? Is it affordable. Texas worried me because of the high costs of insurance and the high number of uninsured people. Is NC better?

What areas get the least amount of snow?

I feel like religious differences are a bigger deal in the SE than political differences. I’m Catholic, not Protestant. Some areas in the south are VERY devoutly Protestant and many don’t like Catholics too much. They want everyone to attend services with them and talk Church a lot. What areas are religious differences less pronounced?

Preferably an area without Texas-style traffic congestion.

What vehicle costs are there? Does NC have inspections? How expensive in insurance?

I’m considering renting a cheap room or maybe getting a manufactured home.

Help me find a city to focus on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2022, 03:58 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,014 times
First off, let's focus on what types of jobs you're looking for? In what industries and sectors?

Old 07-26-2022, 04:03 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdawg View Post
Looking online... Help me find a city to focus on.
Find a specific job to focus on first.
Come back with specific Q's about a specific place that will actually hire you from out of state.

Get hired. Move there.
Live cheap for the year it takes to poke around and learn all the things you ask about.
Then move up (there) or move out to some other place you think will be better.

Or... move to one of the 3 or 4 largest metro areas.
Find some sort of get by job. Be somebody's housemate. Learn your way around.
Apply for the job you would rather have. Get hired.

Live cheap for the year it takes to poke around and learn all the things you ask about.
Then move up (there) or move out to some other place you think will be better.

Old 07-26-2022, 07:07 PM

921 posts, read 748,441 times
Quote:
Looking online, I found a lot of jobs I’d be qualified for are in NC. This surprised me as I’ve never really been familiar with the state so hadn’t seriously considered it.
I was looking at San Antonio as it’s cheap but a lot of the jobs require training I don’t have and I’m worried it may be TOO hot. I hate the cold but too much heat isn’t great either. NC has the jobs and better scenery so I’m willing to give it more consideration.
NC is hot too, unless you're in the small portion of western NC that is above 3,000 feet or so...but thats also the area with the most snow and fewer jobs.

Quote:
few ?s.
First off, how is Heath care? Is it affordable. Texas worried me because of the high costs of insurance and the high number of uninsured people. Is NC better?
My impression is that NC isn't much better than TX in that regard.

Quote:
areas get the least amount of snow?
The southeast part of the state.

Quote:
I feel like religious differences are a bigger deal in the SE than political differences. I’m Catholic, not Protestant. Some areas in the south are VERY devoutly Protestant and many don’t like Catholics too much. They want everyone to attend services with them and talk Church a lot. What areas are religious differences less pronounced?
I don't think you'll find that to be much of an issue in most places.

Quote:
vehicle costs are there? Does NC have inspections? How expensive in insurance?
NC has a one time fee when titling a vehicle, and an annual property tax based on value. I think car insurance is cheap, but I don't have much of a frame of reference to compare. NC does have inspections, its never been a big deal for me.

Quote:
me find a city to focus on.
Fayetteville, Wilmington or Jacksonville.

Old 07-27-2022, 02:17 PM

15 posts, read 28,403 times
Maybe check Winston-Salem or Greensboro. The bigger metros have more going on of course but you spend more time in a car, and housing is much more reasonable in this area, known as the Triad (the other city is High Point). W-S being the closest city to the mountains is good if you like that kind of thing. If you like scenery, the actual mountain cities are better, but Boone is pretty small, and Asheville is probably pricey and has a significantly smaller economy than even the Triad. It's hot, but not Texas hot, and downright tolerable in the foothills and mountains. Snow isn't really an issue anywhere except maybe occasionally each winter in the very high country north of Asheville, and in Boone, and then nothing like the Great Lakes and Northeast.

Old 07-28-2022, 04:27 AM

13,371 posts, read 27,034,756 times
Look at Charlotte also, as it has the largest job market. It is a banking and retail distribution sector.

Health care is going to be expensive if the employer does not provide it. Since we have some of the best teaching hospitals, it will be excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina