Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 04:27 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
MM34B - how about one of your tables or graphs showing the info that just came out concerning the states losing population - dont want our poster here to just take my word for it Hate to disagree with you NR-guy but New Jersey is LOSING population at this point.
http://www.charlotte.com/multimedia/charlotte/KRT_packages/archive/misc/1222census.gif (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 04:40 PM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
Guess you cant help when scrolling down the states forums and seeing NC outpost and outview almost all other states combined.

There are places that I drive through the state that have developments popping up that only a year ago I though would never happen.

While there may be lots of land to build on, the infrastructure cant support all the growth.

There is not enough money to provide any additional roads or more public safety. Taxes will rise. While many will say so what if they rise I have to respond that there will be dramatic tax increases, and rather frequently. No other way to handle it.

Old 01-04-2007, 04:57 PM

2 posts, read 4,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I recently found this site. While checking out other areas of the site I noticed the the NC thread has more than twice the number of post/threads than any other state with the exception of Florida. Why is that? Is City-Data NC based?

That's because everyone in western NC is unemployed and online looking for work! Been unemployed for a total of 3 years over a period of 8 years. One time during a job search I sent out 50 resumes and filled out countless job apps at places like WalMart and Lowe's. Was with 3 temp agencies at same time and it took 7 months to find anything during that particular search period. We may have service jobs here but there are so many people out of work you're fortunate to be considered. At one of the temp agency's I asked 'Is it just me or is it really hard to find work around here?" She said."It isn't you. I've had executives at corporations come in and when I ask what's the least they'd like to make they reply with "Eight dollars an hour." They're so desperate for work they'll take anything.

Old 01-04-2007, 05:30 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,993,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationgirl View Post

That's because everyone in western NC is unemployed and online looking for work! .
You must be in Caldwell or Rutherford County.

Out of the 23 counties in Western NC, 13 have a higher unemployment rate than the statewide average of 4.9%. Ten counties have unemployment rates below the statewide average. Overall, 5.0% of Western NC workers are unemployed and looking for work.

Generally speaking, the best employment bets in the Mountain Region are in Jackson, Haywood, Buncombe, Henderson, Polk, and Watauga counties.

Old 01-04-2007, 06:26 PM

3,124 posts, read 12,664,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by restorationgirl View Post

That's because everyone in western NC is unemployed and online looking for work! Been unemployed for a total of 3 years over a period of 8 years. One time during a job search I sent out 50 resumes and filled out countless job apps at places like WalMart and Lowe's. Was with 3 temp agencies at same time and it took 7 months to find anything during that particular search period. We may have service jobs here but there are so many people out of work you're fortunate to be considered. At one of the temp agency's I asked 'Is it just me or is it really hard to find work around here?" She said."It isn't you. I've had executives at corporations come in and when I ask what's the least they'd like to make they reply with "Eight dollars an hour." They're so desperate for work they'll take anything.
That is sad to, because we can't hire enough quality people that are willing to in manufacturing for quite a bit more then that and decent benefits.

Old 01-04-2007, 08:25 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
well I have to disagree, we have a local station here and so far over 140, 000 people have left NJ..the population here is GOING down alot, plus I do real estate here in one of the largest counties and it is bad here and the worst of it is its sad....

Old 01-05-2007, 01:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,273,258 times
Maybe I am looking at that figure wrong but doesn't it show NJ with a 0.2% population increase from 2005 to 2006? Not much, but it is still an increase. I know tons and tons of people are leaving NJ, but there are also a lot moving there and appears to be keeping the overall population there at equilibrium hence the measly 0.2% population growth.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:29 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Maybe I am looking at that figure wrong but doesn't it show NJ with a 0.2% population increase from 2005 to 2006? Not much, but it is still an increase. I know tons and tons of people are leaving NJ, but there are also a lot moving there and appears to be keeping the overall population there at equilibrium hence the measly 0.2% population growth.
Yep, you're reading it right. But over the holidays when I was up that way they showed a different kind of map and were reporting a drop in NJ population on one of the NY stations. Wish I could remember which affiliate so I could go back and look it up. But for now, I stand corrected Raleigh Guy - according to this graph NJ is hardly growing but not losing population either

Old 01-05-2007, 01:31 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
The slight increase can be explained by births exceeding deaths. California has a 0.8% increase - entirely from births now as more move out than move in. I suspect the same is true in NJ.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:33 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The slight increase can be explained by births exceeding deaths. California has a 0.8% increase - entirely from births now as more move out than move in. I suspect the same is true in NJ.
Ah-ha! That's an interesting piece of info - thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: