Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 06:03 PM

2 posts, read 5,374 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

I am in need of help with information about moving to North Carolina.

My wife and I are moving from Puerto Rico to North Carolina around December this year (2022) but we really need help because we don't know what we really need or where to look for things.

Ok first we are going with a minimum budget of 10k-15k, I know it isn't much but we really just want to move from here and start someplace else and I know it is doable.

Any recommendations on where to look for affordable rent? websites, realtors? which cities? ( we were looking at Durham, Charlotte, Raleigh, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, etc)? Also, we have 5 pets,2 small/medium dogs, and 3 cats so finding places without restrictions for pets has been one of the hardest parts of this thing.

Anyway we need a house to rent ( townhouse or whatever ) that accepts pets, we are going to try and find jobs before moving there but in the off chance we can't we are going to get jobs once we are there which sounds problematic but looking at the job market there we know we will find jobs even if they are not on our fields. Going to rent a car for the first few days and then buy a used one( I don't think this one will be a problem but just mentioning it).

Keep in mind we don't know hidden costs of insurance or requirements of what we need to rent (like some places ask for renter's insurance) since here on the island is different. How much in advance do we need to start with the rent/housing procedures, do all renters need proof of income or can we pay cash? are there any resources that help with the consultation on these topics?

Also welcome stories from people that have done this move from Puerto Rico. Additional information to consider, we are not military, we won't have any help from family members or friends, we don't know anyone in North Carolina, wife works as a Vet technologist with 10 years of experience, I am trying to finish my Engineering degree but don't have a college degree yet so not counting on that part much, I work at Motion Industries, they make all kind of hoses and parts for different industries but is not a big job there unless I somehow get a transfer there which I doubt because I just started here, so again I won't count that much as far as a way of getting a job. I do have a lot of retail, sales, and some IT experience but honestly, I will work wherever at first.

Again we won't have any local help ( lots of people keep telling me to find a friend or family to move with and start from there) well we don't have that. Anyway any help , info, links will be greately appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2022, 06:16 AM

22,615 posts, read 36,521,804 times
No one who you want to rent from is going to rent to you without jobs. Jobs first then move here.

Old 08-17-2022, 07:03 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,786,627 times
I suggest the husband look for jobs first, as he seems to have more specialized skills. The vet tech could find a job anywhere. Perhaps he should get qualified for a Federal job and use USAJobs. That would extend the job options to Fayetteville, Jacksonville, and Goldsboro. I think it would be good to emphasize bi-lingual fluency in Spanish/English, and any logistics or inventory experience. Perhaps also look at the headquarters of Lowe's Home Improvement stores in the Charlotte area.

All the pets would cause additional difficulty in renting a place, as most apartments limit you to two pets. Perhaps the you could find alternative homes for some of them.

Last edited by goldenage1; 08-17-2022 at 07:47 AM..

Old 08-17-2022, 09:40 AM

13,323 posts, read 26,786,627 times
Raleigh, Durham and Charlotte have become quite expensive, and rentals are in short supply. That is why I suggested looking at smaller cities.

Is it possible for the husband to finish the bachelor's degree in Engineering first? I think he would many more attractive job options then.

I also suggest making a targetted resume first. Do not say "I will do anything". Say something like "Seeking a job in Logistics Analysis" where I can use problem solving skills.

I also suggested that Spanish bi-linguals skills are an asset. North Carolina has had increased numbers of Spanish-speaker moving here. Perhaps a bi-lingual customer service job would a good goal.

Old 08-18-2022, 03:48 PM

3,604 posts, read 4,447,100 times
I would recommend Sanford NC. Small-medium sized town in between a lot of larger areas, so you have a bit more "reach". Lots of Puertoricans in Sanford too, including my family! The one of you who works at Motion Industries btw- there does appear to be a branch in Garner NC. I'm not sure exactly of your duties there, but if it's manufacturing you could probably easily get in with Coty, Caterpillar, STI Polymer, etc. as they are pretty big employers in Sanford and offer honestly pretty decent pay. There are vet techs positions open in Sanford right now too. It's a decent town, safe, growing, all your standard American chain stores and restaurants. A good "starting" location while you get the lay of NC's land.

I would not recommend Fayetteville or Goldsboro. In general, avoid Eastern NC east of Fayetteville/I-95, maaaaaybe except for Wilmington. Very ugly, economically depressed, higher crime, hotter weather, just all around unpleasant.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 08-18-2022 at 04:18 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina