Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 02:43 AM

30 posts, read 171,627 times

Advertisements

I understand there is increasing gang activity in the major NC cities but that the rural areas are also experiencing drug issues with meth labs and such. Also heard that some of the gang activity like MS-13 is starting to reach out into the rural areas.

I am mostly interested in any information about this regarding the Asheville and surrounding areas (mostly north of Asheville). It is hard to get a handle on issues like this unless you read the Asheville paper daily and even then I don't know how effective they are at covering 'negative' issues.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2006, 08:22 AM

787 posts, read 3,574,500 times
They keep running this advertisement in the coastal area that the gangs are moving into the coastal area of North Carolina. I have yet to see it although I have someone close to me that is a Narc agent. Mostly what they get busted where I live at is for marijuana and cocaine. Some get busted for simple possession and some with possession with maintainly a dwelling with intent to distribute. I haven't seen any drive by shootings yet. And I still feel relatively safe here. We have a small lawn mower repair business out of our backyard and this time of the year it is really jumping. So I am accustomed to a lot of people on the property during this time of the year. I have yet to have one get out of hand. I don't see a lot of arrest either in the paper for things like gang related either. We have a lot of men arrested for child support problems, DWI's, driving while license revoked, speeding, worthless checks, some possession charges, driving with illegal tags or no insurance, a lot of treatening phone calls that are down right ridiculous stuff from what I have heard, some communicating threats that again is ridiculous stuff, once in a while we will have a B & E, we recently had an insurance man that had to have his half-brother arrested for stealing the money he had in a money bag for insurance premimums, and we have had a couple of vehicular homicides where someone had a wreck and a passenger in the car died. One man lost his wife like this and the thinking is like, he has to live with himself that he was responsible and the judge doubted that there was anything the court could do to him to make it drive the point home. He ran a stop sign and was hit by a truck on the passenger's side. Then we had an 18 year old that flipped his car and it threw his girlfriend out of the car and she died the following day. I believe he did do some community service since he was speeding like 65 in a 55 zone when the accident occurred. And the other thing was that no one in the car were wearing seat belts. And the judge wanted to make it clear to him that since he was the driver, he was responsible for making people wear their seat belts when he was operating his car. But he will never get over this. But as for gangs, well, they must be pretty low keyed. That is not to say that I won't eat these words one day.

Old 05-14-2006, 05:56 PM

80 posts, read 464,768 times
I dont know much about the gangs but there is a growing Mexican population. As far as the north of asheville area there are a few Meth labs but those people keep to there self . Its pretty rural area and I think its a beuatiful area to live. No one should bother you and people are pretty friendly.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:48 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,924,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Man
I dont know much about the gangs but there is a growing Mexican population. As far as the north of asheville area there are a few Meth labs but those people keep to there self . Its pretty rural area and I think its a beuatiful area to live. No one should bother you and people are pretty friendly.
I agree. Same goes for Henderson County which is on the south side of Asheville and Buncombe County. Not much of an issue here for law enforcement. Most of our crime tends to be more of one-on-one revenge type, like adultery payback and poor-on-poor assaults. Unless you read the newspaper or watch local TV news, you'd probably be unaware anything was going on in the area of local crime.

Last edited by mm34b; 05-14-2006 at 06:59 PM..

Old 05-14-2006, 07:24 PM

104 posts, read 572,921 times
I keep hearing the same thing. It's like news everywhere, the media needs something to hype. There are not gangs here like some say there are elsewhere. But, then, I don't know that they are really there either. There are ghetto areas here but not many that would compare to most larger cities.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:51 AM

30 posts, read 171,627 times
I like Hendersonville but:

city-data reports for Hendersonville:

# City-data.com crime index = 645.3 (higher means more crime, US average = 321.8)

And, Sperling's reports:

violent crime an 8 with 3 being the national average
property crime a 7 with 3 being the national average

Both sites don't paint a very good picture of Hendersonville. Additionally, it appears there is a large influx of undocumented workers and the taxes are going up and they are even quarreling about building a new school there. Not saying that undocumented workers always translates into increased crime; however, with the published crime rate already high, I am uneasy about Hendersonville. Think I will consider just putting up with possible meth labs in the Madison or Yancey area and hope the people do 'keep' to themselves. I don't bother them and they dont' bother me.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:01 AM

5,660 posts, read 26,924,302 times
I've seen those crime stats on Hendersonville too, but it's a mystery to me as to what's that about. Just haven't read, seen or heard of anything locally to support it.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:17 PM

80 posts, read 464,768 times
I do a lot of contracting work in Hville area and there isnt any crime wave around that Im aware of . They do have a large population of Migrant workers though.

Old 05-16-2006, 06:04 PM

676 posts, read 3,068,559 times
Default Crime Stats

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva-girl
I like Hendersonville but:

city-data reports for Hendersonville:

# City-data.com crime index = 645.3 (higher means more crime, US average = 321.8)

And, Sperling's reports:

violent crime an 8 with 3 being the national average
property crime a 7 with 3 being the national average

Both sites don't paint a very good picture of Hendersonville. Additionally, it appears there is a large influx of undocumented workers and the taxes are going up and they are even quarreling about building a new school there. Not saying that undocumented workers always translates into increased crime; however, with the published crime rate already high, I am uneasy about Hendersonville. Think I will consider just putting up with possible meth labs in the Madison or Yancey area and hope the people do 'keep' to themselves. I don't bother them and they dont' bother me.
These crime stats that Sperling and city-data report are confusing me! I looked up the Winston-Salem area and was shocked by their high numbers. I asked a realtor about it and she was puzzled and laughed. She said she has never felt like the area had bad crime and has grown up their her whole life. But, then when I looked up in a town in my area which I know has bad crime and gangs first hand, it had lower crime stats than Winston-Salem. So, what gives??? Are these reports accurate?

Old 05-16-2006, 06:46 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,529,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme
These crime stats that Sperling and city-data report are confusing me! I looked up the Winston-Salem area and was shocked by their high numbers. I asked a realtor about it and she was puzzled and laughed. She said she has never felt like the area had bad crime and has grown up their her whole life. But, then when I looked up in a town in my area which I know has bad crime and gangs first hand, it had lower crime stats than Winston-Salem. So, what gives??? Are these reports accurate?
Crime stats (and other stats) aren't always an accurate indicator of prevailing or widespread crime--sometimes they are--but not always. For instance, we're also considering relocating to the Atlanta area as well. Crime stats say: DON'T DO IT! At the same time, Atlanta (city and suburbs) are some of the fastest growing relocation destinations.

My personal opinion is similar to that of Carolina Girl: this whole "gang" thing is overplayed and overhyped. There have always been, and will always be concentrated parts of town that have high crime and that will spike a city's crime stats. I'm sure someone's selling crack somewhere in some 'hood right now. And I'm sure someone's selling meth or beatin' his wife in some trailer park right now. Stay away from both, and the stats won't mean too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina