Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2008, 08:17 AM

4 posts, read 7,994 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone!!

So my wife and I decided that we don't want to live in IL anymore. It's over crowded and I'm tired of the same scenery of building and homes. We want more to our life then just building after building. The cost of living in IL has become over-whelming the cost of gas is out of control and the crime is only getting worse. So we want to nice quite peace-full place to raise our new born baby. How is the economy in N.C what do you think would be a ideal place for us; Please comment thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 09:18 AM

26 posts, read 52,760 times
I moved from NY to NC 7 years ago with my kids. I loved it here so much that I became a Realtor. I live just outside of Charlotte where the taxes are lower.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:57 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Arkidean, what sort of employment are you looking for? Do you want/need to be near a metropolitan area? Will you be happy living in a city or suburb as long as there are plenty of trees and parks around, or do you want something more rural?

The two biggest pieces of advice that people on this forum repeatedly tell potential transplants is (1) consider renting first and (2) if at all possible, secure employment before moving here. There are jobs to be found in NC, but they're not as plentiful as many have been lead to believe.

Old 05-27-2008, 10:58 AM

I'm looking to pursue sales as that is my expertise. As far as needing a metropolitan area, I can commute as long as it does not take longer then an hour otherwise I'm really flexible. I want something with a lot of scenery I'm tired of looking at buildings loll. I do plan on renting to see if I really like it and then I will go from there, I will not more with out securing a job first as that would be stupid.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:42 AM

174 posts, read 570,255 times
I moved from Chicago to the outside of the Triangle area 18 months ago. My biggest regret is that I didn't do it sooner. It's for sure more peaceful here in the country.

That said, there isn't the same level of public transportation here, so I use the car much more than I used to. The cost of living, overall, may not be too much different. Real Estate and RE taxes are a lot less. Income tax is much higher than in Illinois. I pay a higher electric bill, but I pump my own water from a well. I pay about half what I did in heating (propane here, natural gas there), but about the same in food.

Where would be ideal? What (other than better scenery, and that depends on what you mean: Mts., Beach, Woods, suburbs, farms, hills) is most important?

Old 05-27-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm thinking more woods with close travel to the beach....

Old 05-27-2008, 02:29 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkidean View Post
I'm thinking more woods with close travel to the beach....
How close to the beach?

As witcdhseavey mentioned, the Triangle area is one option for you. It's made up of Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, and other smaller towns. There are plenty of trees to be found here - especially in older neighborhoods. We have a couple of lakes here, but if you prefer the ocean the closest beach to the Triangle is about 2 hours away. The mountains are about 4 hours away.

Here's the link to the forum for the Triangle.
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary Forum - Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions - City-Data Forum
Check out the photo thread, read around a bit, and see what you think. And feel free to ask questions.

Hopefully others will chime in with additional suggestions for you. Good luck narrowing down your options!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:35 AM

Thanks guys!! The help has been much appreciated, I think that we are going to take a short vacation there in the next couple of weeks to see what we really think. I have heard a lot of buzz around Raleigh and Durham as well from some friends of mine; so I think we are going to check those out. We did want to be close to the beach but...It's not the end of the world if we have to drive an hour to get there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina