U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 PM

5 posts, read 31,386 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Fayetteville area this summer. Does anyone have any info on the area? Where to live? I was thinking about Linden. I also have two school aged children. Know anything about the Cumberland or the surrounding counties schools? Any info will help. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 AM

572 posts, read 1,411,671 times
I live in Fayetteville and can tell you that it is growing by leaps and bounds due to BRAC (base realignment and closure plan). The schools are not very good. I can't tell you about Linden but within city limits, the schools have much to be desired. Within city limits, the best school district is the Terry Sanford school district. Housing is relatively cheaper than other parts of the country. Fayetteville is one of the few areas in the country that is experiencing a booming home sales market. The weather is mild in the winter (compared to the north-although this year they are mild too!) and in the summer it is hot and humid. Good luck and feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Old 01-08-2007, 07:21 AM

4,723 posts, read 14,473,541 times
You may want to check out the thread here called"Worst Towns in NC",just for another side of opinion of the place

Last edited by nanannie; 01-08-2007 at 07:29 AM..

Old 01-08-2007, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 11,283 times
I am planning to move to Fayetteville, NC ASAP and am wondering if you can supply or tell me where to look for a reasonable priced apartment. My son lives near Stedman. But, I can live in Fayetteville as long as the area is o.k I am a Sr. citizen.

Also, do you know how would I apply for Section 8 housing?
Thanks,
Lucille

Old 01-08-2007, 04:33 PM

5 posts, read 31,386 times
aphorista-

I was thinking about the Linden area to live and that falls under the Pine Forest district. Do you know anything about that? Another option we have discussed is Sanford. What do you know about that?
Thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 06:50 PM

572 posts, read 1,411,671 times
Hi again,

Here is the cumberland county school website:

http://www.ccs.k12.nc.us/

The county site will also have a link to each school's webpage. Pine Forest is okay, certainly not the worst! Our neighborhood was originally part of Pine Forest but was redistrictedd to the worst school district. I heard from some of the original folk in the neighborhood that it lowered our property values. I wish I had thought about the importance of school districts in terms of property value!

I also like to look at the www.greatschools.org site as it has lots more information for each school and often times will include a parent's review. Good luck on your move!

Old 01-08-2007, 10:09 PM

223 posts, read 1,006,683 times
Default Sanford

Sanford is about 30 mins. north of Fayetteville. It's a smaller city, but still has a lot to offer with its own nice downtown, along with quite a few of the usual chain restaurants and stores you find everywhere. Many choices for housing and a variety of industry.
Our experience with the public elementary schools was excellent, middle schools good, high school OK. The new high school, Southern Lee, seems to be on track to be the better of the two high schools in terms of the leadership, focus on academics and school spirit. So try to live in that district if you come to Sanford and have a high schooler. Private schools, religious and Montessori, offer additional options.
Sanford is also within 30 mins. of Raleigh, Chapel Hill, Cary, Southern Pines and Pinehurst, so you can't beat the location.
Google www.leecountync.com to learn more.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:56 PM

16 posts, read 73,393 times
Ms. Lucille,

This organization can probably give you a lot of helpful info on housing and other Senior Citizen services in Fayetteville, NC:

Nc Senior Citizens Assn:
910-323-3641

2529 Raeford Rd
Fayetteville, NC 28305, US

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 PM

983 posts, read 3,701,305 times
People overlook EAST of Fayetteville.....there's Eastover, Stedman, Beaver Dam. Excellent schools there--Cape Fear District. It's rural, and the kids still say, "Yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" and hold doors open for adults!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:16 PM

1 posts, read 10,208 times
Default Fayetteville is Great!!!

Fayetteville is Great!!! Great Place to Live!!
[URL="http://www.madmoving.com"]www.madmoving.com[/URL]
[URL]//www.city-data.com[/URL]

Last edited by MarkPalley; 04-10-2009 at 03:25 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina